sport title
 Tom Hagedorn
USD men's tennis coach Tom Hagedorn, who courageously battled leukemia the past 18 months, passed away peacefully early Saturday morning, March 21st, with his devoted wife, Melissa, and his sister, Sandy, at his side. Hagedorn, 43, fought the good fight the past year-and-a-half with the same positive and competitive approach that he brought to the tennis courts.

Feel free to submit your thoughts, memories and condolences to the Hagedorn family below.

Please note that all submissions are reviewed by USD athletics staff before being posted, so your comments will not appear immediately on this page.

Wilmington, NC: I am so sorry to hear of Tom's passing. I did not know Tom, but reading the story and seeing pictures tells it all. I live in Wilmington, NC and a co-worker told me about Tom's story. I am currently training for the RockNRoll San Diego Marathon through the Leukemia Lympyhoma Society's Team In Training and I'll have Tom's picture ironed on my shirt-just to have him cross the finish line with me. One day we will find a cure- Never give up the fight! God Bless the Hagedorn family. Sincerely, Michael Bolick Wilmington, NC Running For A Reason

Ted - USD: My first memory of Tom is meeting him for the first time when he came to interview at USD. I was truly amazed at his high energy, quick smile, and positive outlook during the entire interview process. I also had the privilege of taking him to Trophy’s for dinner on that initial visit, and over a couple of cold ones, he continued with his nonstop push about this great opportunity. My first thought was, this guy must be a coffee drinker or something, and that he would come crashing down soon enough. Well, I eventually found out that Tom was just being Tom. He brought that same nervous energy, great smile and positive spin on life to work every day over his entire marvelous tenure with the Toreros. Tom - Peace be with you.

Will - San Diego: It has been both a privilege and honor to know and work with Tom Hagedorn. He was blessed with so many gifts, it would be hard for me to categorize one as his greatest. He was an inspiration to me as to how lead his tennis program and how he worked with each member of his teams. He understood young men and their desire to explore and find their path in the world. He always found a way to strike a balance between discipline, humor, and encouragement. Our world has lost a great brother, but the heavens have gained a tremendous angel. Thank you for sharing your kind and selfless spirit with us all. Our prayers are with you, your teams, and your family. Will

kelly Tegels Fort Calhoun NE: Tom will never be forgotten we only met him 2 short years ago just before he was diagnosed with this aweful disease at Sara and Karl's wedding in Tucson.. Melissa we love you and may Tom Rest In Peace! Love Always!

Seamus-USD: It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I put pen to paper and reflect on the passing of Haggey-- our colleague and friend. I have known Haggey throughout his tenure at USD. He was a man of unquestionable moral integrity. He was well respected by all who came in contact with him. We will miss him and always cherish the memories and of course that million dollar smile. The world will not be the same. Save me a spot and we will continue our never ending conversations about camps and budgets. I miss my friend already.

Patty Miranda Harlow-Arlington, MA: Most mornings during recruiting season, Tom would be in my office around 7, with his coffee, cheerfully checking on his recruits and just chatting. It was such a great way to start my day and is one of my fondest memories of my years at USD. Such a kind soul, so passionate, so down-to-earth, and someone who gave so much more than he took. I wish I could be there to honor him. I will miss him terribly.

Mike-USD: I am going to miss walking by his office as he would pace back and forth in his office on his cordless phone (had it because he had too much energy to sit down for longer than a minute). As I came up he would always cover the phone and whisper “big time recruit” with that million dollar Hagy smile.. You fought the fight my friend and will always be remembered by us all at USD.. May you rest now.. We will miss you..

Andy - USD: Tom is one of the greatest guys I ever met. He exemplified courage and character - something I will never forget. The world is a bit darker today, but his spirit and memory lives on in all of us. I will miss you my friend!

Kathi Spittel: Dear Tom. You are already missed. I always remember the smiles and the hugs. I am blessed to have crossed paths with you.

Brent Hilliard: Tom- You were the epitome of class and dignity. I appreciate all that you taught me over the years. I will miss you dearly.

Derek Hillestad: Sorry to hear of Tom's passing. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Zuzana - Prague: Tom - I'll never forget how you made everyone around you smile and relax. You always radiated positive energy and had the most genuine personality. I will miss you.. rest in peace.

Chris Seiffert (Maglocci): I will always remember senior year at the U of A where Tom, Jose, Jon and I all shared a house. Tom coached Jon and I on a homemade craps table before our 1st trip to Vegas. We are all very blessed to have crossed paths with Tom in our lives and hope that he is at peace now.

Kari Logan: Tom- You are one in a million. Thanks for putting the 'fun' in fundraising. Thanks for always lighting up a room. You will be missed, but your energy will live through all the people you touched. I am so happy I was able to know you.

Maureen (Tucson): I had the pleasure of watching Tommy grow up during my eight years working at the Randolph Tennis Center. I am deeply saddened to hear of his passing. He was a special person. As an alum of USD, I was proud to follow his achievements there. He and his family are in my prayers and thoughts.

Mike K - USD: Tom embodied the ideal of positive thought. I will miss our conversations regarding the world of international student athletes and our quick conversations on the pool deck as you walked to your office. Rest in Peace ‘Big Kahuna”

Jim (Blacksburg): The Hokie Tennis Team sends its deepest Condolensce. Tom was a great coach, great leader and someone I admired. He will be missed in the world of college tennis. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Cato South Afica: my son had the privilege to be part of the USD team from 2004 - 2008. I met Tom on my visits - great person - wil never forget him - thank you Tom!!

Bob Christianson, San Diego: Events like this certainly put things in perspective. In time, smiles will return to our faces. Haggy, the King of the Smile, would have wanted things that way. As a tennis official, he always treated us with respect and dignity.

Dan Nabedrick: "How are you doing today, how are you feeling, are you ready for another great day" Tom would ask each and every one of us that as we arrived for tennis practice. Tom cared, shared and willed his positive energy on his players, his staff and himself, as a volunteer assistant for USD from 96-98, I have learned from Tom to ask the same questions to my students now every day. Enjoy life, enjoy every minute of it, that is what Tom shared with me. My blessings go out to Melissa and Tom's family. Yes, I am feeling great today Tom, knowing that you are still with us in spirit smiling your big smile everyday.

USD Women's Soccer: Tom you have always been such a great friend, coach and inspiration to all of us. We will all miss you so much. Your journey of life will always live on in all of us. Thank you for being you! God bless you and your family. “We will always keep living the dream.” Mister Snap

Greg Prudhomme: Tom was my assistant coach at UofA from 1991 to 1993. He was a very positive guy. I looked forward to seeing him everyday at practice. He was supportive and motivating. We will always remember Tom and know he is watching over us.

Robert K. Lanier, Beacon, N.Y.: I first met Tom through my wife, Suzi, when she was an athletic trainer at USD. Tom made the first meeting feel like the 50th. As a husband, coach and friend...he was truly The Tops. He will be missed in body, but never missed in spirit. My thoughts and prayers are with Tom and his family now and always...RKL

Knut Johnson (San Diego): Tom was a gentleman and a class act. He was always upbeat and fun to see. His passing is a loss to all of us.

Ted - Arizona: Tom came to Flagstaff one summer when he was 18 to teach with Ron Smith. Michael T, Pete C, and I were a bit younger and less skilled than Tom but he played tons of tennis with us anyway and he was always lots of fun. He played a junior tourney with us in Sedona and the four of us ended up in the finals of which Tom won, of course! He certainly had a big impact on young players and we all wanted to be more like Tom.

Chris-Seattle: Tom, "A good man is a friend to all living things", and you epitomized that! You left your mark in this world! Thanks Tom!

Brandon-Phoenix: 'Hagy' was my assistant coach at the UofAz. He was profoundly positive. He pointed out life's possibilities. My sincere condolences to his family.

Nico Beuque - France: You taught me more than I thought I'd know, you showed me more than I could see, you reached further than my limits and I shared one of the most beautiful moments of my life with you... coach, you are more than that to me. Thanks.. rest in peace my friend

Rahn Foster- Rahn Inman: Melissa, I am so sorry to learn about Tom's passing. He is an old boyfriend of mine and my heart is very sad for you and the family. You are in my prayers....Tom was a true gem... now you have an angel up there. God Bless you.

Bo Navarro (San Diego): May you rest in peace my friend.... Tom was one of those guys you come across and will forever remember for the rest of your life. All my prayers to the family. Bo
Name (City):
Submit your question here:

University of San Diego USD Camps WCC Jenny Craig Pavilion