Work History/ Duties/ Interests:
Carolyn Greer is the Associate Director of Athletics for Sports Medicine and the Head Athletic Trainer. She is responsible for all aspects of health care in the athletic environment, including: prevention; evaluation of injuries; management, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries; and education and counseling of athletes. Her sport assignments include football and men's basketball. A graduate (BA, MA) of San Diego State University, Carolyn participated in intercollegiate women's gymnastics. Hired in 1978, she became the first female head athletic trainer at the NCAA Division I level. Her athletic training experience includes the 1984 Summer Olympic Games (artistic gymnastics), the NBA Summer Professional Basketball League, San Diego Friars Professional Team Tennis, and San Diego State University. In addition she has extensive rehabilitation experience at the clinical level working at athletic injury and rehabilitation clinics throughout San Diego County. She has taught athletic training related courses at USD and for the Athletic Training Professional Program at San Diego State University. In addition she has presented at local, regional, and national meetings.
- NATA Task Force Committee for Appropriate Medical Coverage for Intercollegiate Athletics.
- NATA Hall of Fame Subcommittee Chair
- Member, College Athletic Trainers' Society
- ACI (Approved Clinical Instructor), San Diego State University Athletic Training Professional Program.
- Committee Member, University and College Athletic Trainers, District 8
- Adjunct Faculty, San Diego State University, Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences.
- 2005: University of San Diego, Thomas F. Burke, Employee of the Year.
Education and Certifications:
- BA in Physical Education, Health Science Minor: San Diego State University
- MA in Physical Education, Sports Medicine Emphasis: San Diego State University
- Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC): NATA
- Instructor, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- American Heart Association
- Physical Therapist Assistant, State of California
- Married, Jeff (attorney), two children: David (21) and Jason (18), both attending USD