Social Media a great avenue to showcase our profession to our athletes and others
Over 50 USD coaches, athletes and administrators get certified
Carolyn Greer is the Associate Director of Athletics for Sports Medicine and the Head Athletic Trainer. She is responsible for all aspects of health care in the athletic environment, including: prevention; evaluation of injuries; management, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries; and education and counseling of athletes. Her sport assignments include football and men's basketball. A graduate (BA, MA) of San Diego State University, Carolyn participated in intercollegiate women's gymnastics. Hired in 1978, she became the first female head athletic trainer at the NCAA Division I level. Her athletic training experience includes the 1984 Summer Olympic Games (artistic gymnastics), the NBA Summer Professional Basketball League, San Diego Friars Professional Team Tennis, and San Diego State University. In addition she has extensive rehabilitation experience at the clinical level working at athletic injury and rehabilitation clinics throughout San Diego County. She has taught athletic training related courses at USD and for the Athletic Training Professional Program at San Diego State University. In 2007 she was named the San Diego State University, Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, "Robert J. Moore" Distinguished Alumnus and was also honored as the National Athletic Trainers' Association Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer. In 2009 Carolyn was inducted into the Far West Athletic Trainers' Association Hall of Fame. On August 31, 2011 she was honored by the San Diego Sports Medicine Foundation as its Taste of the Cove 2011 Medical Champion.
Education and Certifications:
- BA in Physical Education, Health Science Minor San Diego State University
- MA in Physical Education, Sports Medicine Emphasis San Diego State University
- Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC): NATA
- Instructor, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation American Heart Association
- Physical Therapist Assistant, State of California
- NATA Task Force Committee: Appropriate Medical Coverage for Intercollegiate Athletics.
- NATA Hall of Fame Subcommittee Chair
- Member, College Athletic Trainers' Society
- ACI (Approved Clinical Instructor): San Diego State University Athletic Training Professional Program.
- Committee Member, University and College Athletic Trainers, District 8
- Adjunct Faculty, San Diego State University: Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences.
- 2005: University of San Diego, Thomas F. Burke, Employee of the Year.
Married, Jeff, two children: David and Jason, both are USD graduates.
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
Celebration of Excellence 2017
Check out the end of the year COE boat cruise with student-athletes, coaches and staff
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics
President for a Day
USD President Harris switched places with Track & Cross Country Senior Olivia Gonzalez
Torero Timeout with Olivia Sandusky
Walk down the beach with softball senior Olivia Sandusky on a Torero Timeout
Jamal Agnew Drafted to the Detroit Lions
Jamal Agnew was drafted in the fifth round as the #165 pick to the Lions