GAME #15: The USD Toreros (11-3, 2-0 WCC), under the direction of head coach Lamont Smith, play the first of three away games this coming Thursday, January 4th, when they take on the Portland Pilots (6-9, 0-2 WCC) in a 7:00 p.m. game at the Chiles Center.
SERIES RECORD: This is the 82nd meeting between USD and Portland with the Toreros owning a 51-30 series edge... Portland snapped a 5-game USD winning streak in the series with a 60-55 win in the 1st round of the WCC Tournament (March 3, 2017)... USD closed out the regular-season on Feb. 25th by holding on for a 85-82 home win over Portland (Olin Carter III led six Toreros in double-digits with 21 points)... The Toreros earned a 68-52 win at Portland on January 28th (Olin Carter, 24 points, 5 made treys).
TICKETS: USD single game, 3-game mini-packs, group tickets and season tickets for games at the Jenny Craig Pavilion are available by contacting the USD Athletics ticket office (619-260-7550) or by visiting www.usdtoreros.com.
RADIO/TV/STREAM: All USD home and away games will be broadcast on either The Mighty 1090AM or ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin (4th season) bringing you all the action; his pre-game show airs 15 minutes prior to tip-off. Cronin's call on Thursday will be broadcast on ESPN 1700AM. The game be televised by ROOT Sports Northwest (Tom Glasgow & Francis Williams) and will also air on NBC Sports Bay Area+ and Spectrum SportsNet (delayed, 9:00 p.m.). Additionally, the game will stream on TheW.tv.
WCC STANDINGS (as of Jan. 2): Saint Mary's College (2-0, 13-2), Gonzaga (2-0, 12-3), San Diego (2-0, 11-3), BYU (1-1 WCC, 12-3), San Francisco (1-1, 9-6), Santa Clara (1-1, 4-10), Pacific (1-1, 6-9), Portland (0-2, 6-9), Loyola Marymount (0-2, 5-8), Pepperdine (0-2, 3-11).
WCC PRESEASON COACHES POLL: The Toreros were picked to place sixth by the WCC head coaches in the 2017-18 Preseason WCC Coaches Poll. Saint Mary's was selected first with 81 points and 9 first place votes. Rounding out the top-5 was Gonzaga (73 points, 1 first place vote), BYU (62 points), USF (59 points) and Santa Clara (44 points). Following San Diego is Pepperdine (30 points), Pacific (24 points), Portland (21 points) and Loyola Marymount (19 points).
COACH SMITH (3RD YEAR): Coach Lamont Smith (San Diego, 1998) is in his third year at the helm of the Torero basketball program. This year's team was the first Torero team to reach eight wins in its first 10 contests, and now 11 wins in its first 14 games since USD joined the NCAA Division I ranks in 1979-80. The Toreros enter the Portland game with a 11-3 record and having won six of seven. Prior to USD, Smith was at the University of New Mexico where he was the Associate Head Coach. Prior to UNM he spent time at Washington, Arizona State, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's and Saint Louis. Smith returned to USD where he was a member of the men's basketball team from 1994-99. He started all 27 games his senior year in 1998-99 for the 18-9 Toreros. He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99. Smith earned a BA degree in Communications from USD in 1998. Lamont and his wife Kimberly have two daughters -- Payton and Olivia.
A LOOK AHEAD: The Portland contest will be followed by games at Saint Mary's College (Sat., Jan. 6th, 8:00 p.m., NBCS BA & SPEC SN) and Pacific (Thur., Jan. 11th, 7:00 p.m., TheW.tv).
* The Toreros continue to be one of the top defensive teams in the country as they rank #1 in 3-point FG% defense (.241), #6 in FG% defense (.368) and #15 in scoring defense (61.6)... Over the last three games they have also protected the rim with 29 blocked shots (10 vs. Life Pacific; 9 vs. San Francisco, 10 vs. Pepperdine)... The USD record is 11 blocks in a game.
* Among WCC players, Isaiah Wright is #2 in assists (6.2), #4 in steals (1.5), #10 in scoring (13.8) and #14 in rebounding (5.9); Isaiah Pineiro is #5 in blocked shots (1.2), #7 in scoring (14.9) and #8 in rebounding (6.4); Olin Carter III is #2 in 3-pointers made per game (2.8) and Yauhen Massalski is #4 in blocked shots per game (1.6).
* USD now hits the road for three games where they have had success this season... The Toreros are 4-1 away from the JCP with wins coming against San Jose State (81-64), Grand Canyon (72-62), New Mexico State (65-60) and Colorado (69-59)... USD is the lone team to earn wins on three of the opponent's home courts - GCU (9-1), NMSU (6-1) and CU (5-1)... USD's lone loss was at UC Santa Barbara (67-57) who is currently 11-3 and 6-0 at home... In away games USD is paced by Isaiah Wright (17.2 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 5.0 assists, 2.4 steals), Isaiah Pineiro (15.4 ppg, 6.6 rpg) and Olin Carter III (13.2 ppg)... USD averages 68.8 ppg and limits opponents on average to 62.4 ppg, 36.0 FG% and 22.9% from beyond the 3-point line.
* USD heads to Portland having won six of seven... During this stretch the Toreros have been paced by Isaiah Pineiro (15.3 ppg, 6.4 rpg), Isaiah Wright (14.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 6.7 apg), Tyler Williams (12.4 ppg) and Olin Carter III (12.3 ppg)... USD is avergaing 76.7 ppg while limiting opponents to 62.3 ppg (+14.4 scoring margin)... USD also has blocked 42 shots (6.0).
* USD survived a pesky Pepperdine squad on Dec. 30 with a 74-66 victory... Olin Carter III scored a season-high 27 points (7-12 in threes) and Juwan Gray came off the bench for a double-double with 11 points & 11 rebounds... Isaiah Pineiro, USD's leading scorer and rebounder, fouled out with nine minutes to go and was limited to 4 points.
* In Thursday's WCC opening 73-63 win over USF the Toreros were paced by Isaiah Pineiro (23 points & 8 rebounds) and Isaiah Wright (17 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists)... Olin Carter III chipped in with 13 points... USD made 8-of-18 three-pointers (44.4%) while limiting the Dons to just 2-of-15 shooting beyond the arc.
* The Toreros closed out their non-conference slate with a 94-51 win over Life Pacific... Isaiah Wright notched a double-double with 14 points and 12 assists... Isaiah Pineiro scored a game-high 16 points and was followed by Tyler Williams (15) and Yauhen Massalski (14)... USD outrebounded the Warriors 49-23 and collected a season-high 10 blocked shots.
SCOUTING THE PORTLAND PILOTS: The Portland Pilots (6-9, 0-2 WCC) opened up league play with a road loss at BYU (69-45) followed by a home loss to San Francisco (84-61)... For the season the Pilots are being paced by 6-7 R-So. G/F Josh McSwiggan (13.4 ppg), 6-4 R-So. G Franklin Porter (11.6 pp) and 6-2 Fr. G Marcus Shaver Jr. (11.0 ppg)... JoJo Walker, a 6-1 freshman guard, was the lone Pilot to reach double-digit scoring against BYU with 11 points (3-5 on 3's) and Marcus Shaver was the only Pilot to get into the double-digit scoring column against USF with 12 points... Head Coach Terry Porter (2nd season, 17-31) welcomes a total of nine players that are either new or returning redshirts... Two of the players are his sons, Franklin and Malcolm, both 6-4 guards.
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics