GAME #16: The USD Toreros (12-3, 3-0 WCC), under the direction of head coach Lamont Smith, close out the week with a road game at Saint Mary's College (14-2, 3-0 WCC) in Moraga, California. Game time is 8:05 p.m. at McKeon Pavilion.
SERIES RECORD: This is the 85th meeting between USD and Saint Mary's College with the Gaels owning a 48-36 edge... SMC has won seven straight in the series... In the most recent match-up on Feb. 4, 2017, the No. 18 Gaels downed the Toreros 71-27 in San Diego... USD, just 9-of-46 from the field, was paced by Olin Carter III (11 points)... In the first meeting, played on New Year's Eve in Moraga, the host Gaels earned a 72-60 victory... Brett Bailey (19 points) and Tyler Williams (13 points, 9 rebounds) led USD.
TICKETS: USD single game, 3-game mini-packs, group tickets and season tickets for games at the Jenny Craig Pavilion are available by contacting the USD Athletics ticket office (619-260-7550) or by visiting www.usdtoreros.com.
RADIO/TV/STREAM: All USD home and away games will be broadcast on either The Mighty 1090AM or ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin (4th season) bringing you all the action; his pre-game show airs 15 minutes prior to tip-off. Cronin's call on Saturday will be broadcast on The Mighty 1090AM. The game will be televised by NBC Sports Bay Area (Glen Kuiper and Dan Belluomini) and also air on Spectrum SportsNet. Additionally, the game will stream on TheW.tv.
WCC STANDINGS (as of Jan. 5): Saint Mary's College (3-0, 14-2), Gonzaga (3-0, 13-3), San Diego (3-0, 12-3), BYU (2-1 WCC, 13-3), Santa Clara (2-1, 5-10), San Francisco (1-2, 9-7), Pacific (1-2, 6-10), Portland (0-3, 6-10), LMU (0-3, 5-9), Pepperdine (0-3, 3-12).
WCC PRESEASON COACHES POLL: The Toreros were picked to place sixth by the WCC head coaches in the 2017-18 Preseason WCC Coaches Poll. Saint Mary's was selected first with 81 points and 9 first place votes. Rounding out the top-5 was Gonzaga (73 points, 1 first place vote), BYU (62 points), USF (59 points) and Santa Clara (44 points). Following San Diego is Pepperdine (30 points), Pacific (24 points), Portland (21 points) and Loyola Marymount (19 points).
COACH SMITH (3RD YEAR): Coach Lamont Smith (San Diego, 1998) is in his third year at the helm of the Torero basketball program. This year's team was the first Torero team to reach eight wins in its first 10 contests, and have extended their best start to 12 wins in the first 15 games (since USD joined the NCAA Division I ranks in 1979-80). The Toreros enter the Saint Mary's game with a 12-3 record and having won seven of eight. Prior to USD, Smith was at the University of New Mexico where he was the Associate Head Coach. Prior to UNM he spent time at Washington, Arizona State, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's and Saint Louis. Smith returned to USD where he was a member of the men's basketball team from 1994-99. He started all 27 games his senior year in 1998-99 for the 18-9 Toreros. He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99. Smith earned a BA degree in Communications from USD in 1998. Lamont and his wife Kimberly have two daughters -- Payton and Olivia.
A LOOK AHEAD: USD's third straight road contest will come on Thursday, January 11th, with a 7:00 p.m. contest at the University of the Pacific (TheW.tv).
* The Toreros continue to be one of the top defensive teams in the country as they rank #1 in 3-point FG% defense (.236), #6 in FG% defense (.372) and #17 in scoring defense (62.4)... USD has also protected the rim with 34 blocked shots over the last four games (10 vs. Life Pacific; 9 vs. USF, 10 vs. Pepperdine, 5 vs. Portland)... USD's record is 11 blocks in a game.
* USD is getting some mid-major attention... In the NBC Sports Midseason Mid-Major Power Rankings, USD was listed at No. 12... In the most recent CollegeInsider.com Top-25 poll, USD is ranked No. 19. Joe Teitel of hoopsHD.com selected Isaiah Pineiro and Isaiah Wright among the WCC's top five players thus far in the season... the Isaiahs are joined by Jock Landale (SMC), Yoeli Childs (BYU) and James Batemon (LMU).
* Juniors Isaiah Wright (Boise, Idaho) and Isaiah Pineiro (Auburn, Calif.)were recently honored by the San Diego Hall of Champions as Amateur Stars of the Month for December after leading USD to a 6-2 mark and impressive road wins over New Mexico State and Colorado and two WCC victories.
* Among WCC players, Isaiah Wright is #2 in assists (5.9), #4 in steals (1.6), #7 in scoring (14.9) and #14 in rebounding (5.8); Isaiah Pineiro is #5 in blocked shots (1.2), #8 in scoring (14.5) and #9 in rebounding (6.2); Olin Carter III is #2 in 3-pointers made per game (2.9) and Yauhen Massalski is #4 in blocked shots per game (1.6).
* The Toreros are 5-1 away from the JCP with wins coming against San Jose State (81-64), Grand Canyon (72-62), New Mexico State (65-60), Colorado (69-59) and Portland (81-74, ot)... USD is the lone team to earn wins on three of the opponent's home courts - GCU (9-1), NMSU (6-1) and CU (6-1)... USD's lone loss was at UC Santa Barbara (67-57) who is currently 11-3 and 6-0 at home... In away games USD is paced by Isaiah Wright (19.3 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 4.5 assists, 2.5 steals), Isaiah Pineiro (14.2 ppg, 6.2 rpg) and Olin Carter III (13.7 ppg)... USD averages 70.8 ppg and limits opponents to 64.3 ppg, 37.0 FG% and 21.9% from 3-point land.
* USD heads to Saint Mary's having won seven of eight... During this stretch the Toreros have been paced by Isaiah Wright (16.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 6.1 apg), Isaiah Pineiro (14.4 ppg, 6.1 rpg), Olin Carter III (12.8 ppg), and Tyler Williams (12.1 ppg)... USD is averaging 77.2 ppg while limiting opponents to 63.8 ppg (+13.4 scoring margin)... USD also has blocked 47 shots (5.9).
* Isaiah Wright scored a career-high 30 points on Thursday (Jan. 4) in USD's 81-74 overtime win at Portland... Olin Carter III followed with 16 points and hit a big go-ahead three-pointer in overtime... Tyler Williams chipped in with 10 points... Both Wright and Isaiah Pineiro fouled out before the OT.
SCOUTING THE SAINT MARY'S GAELS: The WCC preseason favorites, the Gaels are 14-2 on the season, 3-0 in WCC play and are riding a nine game winning streak... They are coming off 74-56 home win over Pacific with Evan Fitzner scoring 16 and Jock Landale notching a double-double with 13 points and 17 rebounds... Emmett Naar dished out 15 assists... For the season Landale has been named the WCC Player of the Week three times and leads the WCC in scoring (21.3), rebounding (10.3) and FG% (.649)... Naar leads the WCC in assists (9.5)... Calvin Hermanson (13.0 ppg) and Naar (11.0 ppg) also average double-digit scoring... Head Coach Randy Bennett is in his 17th season (376-158; 173-70 WCC)... Last year the Gaels finished 29-5 overall and 16-2 in the WCC.
Building a Home in Mexico
One day, seven student-athletes, impact for a lifetime
Baseball: Final Series
Toreros end their season against No. 2 Oregon State
Celebration of Excellence Recap
Toreros dress to impress for the end of year banquet
San Diego Athletics' staff makes home made version of Run DMC's hit song
USD Athletes Lip Sync
12 sports teams show off some skills in a new genre
USD Athletics Blooper Reel
What it sometimes takes to get that perfect shot
All Sport Highlights 2017-18
17 sports - infinite highlights
Baseball: Day in the Life with Jay Schuyler
The real-life baseball experience
Inside look at WCC competition
Men's Tennis: Sweep
San Diego defeat Pepperdine 4-0
Softball: The Win
Toreros defeat Saint Mary's in weekend series
Men's Basketball: Tuber
Coach Scholl introduces "Tuber" - the on campus Torero Uber
Men's Basketball: Barista Scholl
Coach Scholl gets students ready for class by helping out at Aromas Cafe
Football: Pro Day
Toreros submit their resumes to the NFL scouts
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics