GAME #17: The USD Toreros (12-4, 3-1 WCC), under the direction of head coach Lamont Smith, play their third straight road game this Thursday, January 11th, with a 7:00 p.m. contest at the University of the Pacific.
SERIES RECORD: This is 19th meeting between USD and Pacific with the Tigers owning an 11-7 advantage... The Tigers have won two straight in the series having swept both games last season (61-58 at Pacific, 2-9-17; 56-53 at San Diego, 1-5-17)... In the most recent outing in Stockton, Cameron Neubauer paced USD with 18 points and 9 rebounds... Two seasons ago each team won their home contest - USD won 54-43 on Feb. 4, 2016; the Tigers won 77-75 on Dec. 31, 2015.
TICKETS: USD single game, 3-game mini-packs, group tickets and season tickets for games at the Jenny Craig Pavilion are available by contacting the USD Athletics ticket office (619-260-7550) or by visiting www.usdtoreros.com.
RADIO/TV/STREAM: All USD home and away games will be broadcast on either The Mighty 1090AM or ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin (4th season) bringing you all the action; his pre-game show airs 15 minutes prior to tip-off. Cronin's call on Thursday will be broadcast on ESPN 1700AM. The game will be produced by STADIUM (Dave Feldman and Richie Schueler) and will stream on TheW.tv.
WCC STANDINGS (as of Jan. 8): Saint Mary's College (4-0 WCC, 15-2), Gonzaga (4-0, 14-3), San Diego (3-1, 12-4), Santa Clara (3-1, 6-10), BYU (2-2, 13-4), San Francisco (2-2, 10-7), Pacific (2-2, 7-10), Portland (0-4, 6-11), LMU (0-4, 5-10), Pepperdine (0-4, 3-13).
WCC PRESEASON COACHES POLL: The Toreros were picked to place sixth by the WCC head coaches in the 2017-18 Preseason WCC Coaches Poll. Saint Mary's was selected first with 81 points and 9 first place votes. Rounding out the top-5 was Gonzaga (73 points, 1 first place vote), BYU (62 points), USF (59 points) and Santa Clara (44 points). Following San Diego is Pepperdine (30 points), Pacific (24 points), Portland (21 points) and Loyola Marymount (19 points).
COACH SMITH (3RD YEAR): Coach Lamont Smith (San Diego, 1998) is in his third year at the helm of the Torero basketball program. This year's team was the first Torero team to reach eight wins in its first 10 contests, and had extended their best start to 12 wins in the first 15 games (since USD joined the NCAA Division I ranks in 1979-80). The Toreros enter the Pacific game with a 12-4 record and having won seven of nine. Prior to USD, Smith was at the University of New Mexico where he was the Associate Head Coach. Prior to UNM he spent time at Washington, Arizona State, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's and Saint Louis. Smith returned to USD where he was a member of the men's basketball team from 1994-99. He started all 27 games his senior year in 1998-99 for the 18-9 Toreros. He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99. Smith earned a BA degree in Communications from USD in 1998. Lamont and his wife Kimberly have two daughters -- Payton and Olivia.
A LOOK AHEAD: USD returns home to the JCP this Saturday, January 13th, to host the LMU Lions in a 7:00 p.m. contest. The game will air on ESPN 1700 AM (Jiack Cronin) and will be televised by SPECTRUM Sports Net (Steve Quis & Brad Holland).
* The Toreros continue to be one of the top defensive teams in the country as they rank #1 in 3-point FG% defense (.230), #8 in FG% defense (.377) and #20 in scoring defense (62.9)... USD has also protected the rim and is tied for first in the WCC with Portland for blocked shots per game (4.5)... USD limited Portland (1-9) and SMC (1-11) to a combined 2-20 (10%) shooting beyond the arc.
* USD is getting some mid-major attention... In the NBC Sports Midseason Mid-Major Power Rankings, USD was listed at No. 12... In the CollegeInsider.com Top-25 poll (as of Jan. 2), USD is ranked No. 19. Joe Teitel of hoopsHD.com selected Isaiah Pineiro and Isaiah Wright among the WCC's top five players thus far in the season... the Isaiahs are joined by Jock Landale (SMC), Yoeli Childs (BYU) and James Batemon (LMU).
* Juniors Isaiah Wright (Boise, Idaho) and Isaiah Pineiro (Auburn, Calif.)were recently honored by the San Diego Hall of Champions as Amateur Stars of the Month for December after leading USD to a 6-2 mark and impressive road wins over New Mexico State and Colorado and two WCC victories.
* Among WCC players, Isaiah Wright is #2 in assists (5.8), #3 in steals (1.5), #6 in scoring (15.1) and #14 in rebounding (5.6); Isaiah Pineiro is #6 in blocked shots (1.1), #8 in scoring (14.6), #10 in rebounding (6.1) and #12 in steals (1.1); Olin Carter III is #3 in 3-pointers made per game (2.7) and Yauhen Massalski is #4 in blocked shots per game (1.5).
* The Toreros are 5-2 away from the JCP with wins coming against San Jose State (81-64), Grand Canyon (72-62), New Mexico State (65-60), Colorado (69-59) and Portland (81-74, ot)... USD is the lone team to earn wins on three of the opponent's home courts - GCU (9-1), CU (7-1) and NMSU (6-1) ... USD's two losses were at UC Santa Barbara (67-57) who is currently 12-4 and 7-0 at home, and to Saint Mary's (15-2, 11-0 home)... In away games USD is paced by Isaiah Wright (19.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 4.3 assists, 2.1 steals), Isaiah Pineiro (14.6 ppg, 5.9 rpg) and Olin Carter III (12.9 ppg)... USD averages 69.7 ppg and limits opponents to 65.1 ppg, 38.2 FG% and 20.7% from 3-point land (24-116).
* USD heads to Pacific having won seven of nine... During this stretch the Toreros have been paced by Isaiah Wright (16.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 5.8 apg), Isaiah Pineiro (14.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg), Olin Carter III (12.2 ppg), and Tyler Williams (10.8 ppg)... USD is averaging 75.7 ppg while limiting opponents to 64.4 ppg (+11.3 scoring margin)... USD also has blocked 47 shots (5.2).
* The Toreros battled Saint Mary's tough but came up a little short in 70-63 loss (Jan. 6)... USD led by eight with 14 minutes to go and were within two (63-61) with three minutes to go... Isaiah Wright (18), Isaiah Pineiro (17) and Juwan Gray (16, 6-6 FG, 4-4 3PT shooting) paced the Toreros... Saint Mary's was paced by point guard Emmett Naar (24 points) and center Jock Landale (22 points, 9 rebounds).
* Isaiah Wright scored a career-high 30 points on Thursday (Jan. 4) in USD's 81-74 overtime win at Portland... Olin Carter III followed with 16 points and hit a big go-ahead three-pointer in overtime... Tyler Williams chipped in with 10 points... Both Wright and Isaiah Pineiro fouled out before the OT.
SCOUTING THE PACIFIC TIGERS: The Pacific Tigers, under the direction of second year coach Damon Stoudamire (18-32, 6-16 WCC), are coming off one of the program's biggest wins in recent memory with Saturday's 67-66 home win over the BYU Cougars... Sophomore forward Jahlil Tripp scored a team-high 22 points and earned the WCC Player of the Week honor... He was followed in double-digit scoring by guard Miles Reynolds (16) and Kendall Small (10)... A trio of Tigers are averaging in double-digit scoring: 6-3 junnior guard Roberto Gallinat (12.6 ppg), 6-2 redshirt junior guard Miles Reynolds (11.9 ppg) and 6-5 sophomore forward Jahlil Tripp (10.1 ppg)... Pacific is averaging 72.5 ppg while giving up on average 75.9 ppg... Pacific is 5-4 at home this season at the Alex G. Spanos Center (6,150 capacity).
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics