GAME #27: The San Diego Toreros (16-10, 7-7 WCC), under the direction of head coach Lamont Smith, return to the Jenny Craig Pavilion on Thursday to play host to the Pacific Tigers (13-14, 8-6 WCC). Game time is 7:00 p.m. and it is Fire Fighter Appreciation Night.
SERIES RECORD: This is 20th meeting between USD and Pacific with the Tigers owning a 12-7 advantage... The Tigers have won three straight in the series including earlier this season in Stockton by the score of 74-70 (Jan. 11)... Isaiah Pineiro (23 points) and Tyler Williams (20 points) paced the Toreros but USD couldn't overcome Pacific's hot shotting at the free throw line (33-of-35)... USD went to the line just 15 times, making 11... The Tigers swept both games last season (61-58 at Pacific, 2-9-17; 56-53 at San Diego, 1-5-17).
TICKETS: USD single game, 3-game mini-packs, group tickets and season tickets for games at the Jenny Craig Pavilion are available by contacting the USD Athletics ticket office (619-260-7550) or by visiting www.usdtoreros.com. Single game tickets for the Feb. 22 home game with Gonzaga are now also on sale.
RADIO/STREAM: All USD games are broadcast on either The Mighty 1090AM or ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin (4th season) bringing you all the action; his pre-game show airs 15 minutes prior to tip-off. Cronin's call on Thursday will air on ESPN 1700 AM. The game will be streamed and available everywhere on TheW.tv.
WCC STANDINGS (as of Feb. 12): Saint Mary's College (13-1 WCC, 24-3), Gonzaga (13-1, 23-4), BYU (9-5, 20-7), Pacific (8-6, 13-14), San Diego (7-7, 16-10), San Francisco (6-8, 14-13), Santa Clara (6-8, 9-17), Portland (4-10, 10-17), LMU (3-11, 8-17), Pepperdine (1-13, 4-22).
WCC PRESEASON COACHES POLL: The Toreros were picked to place sixth in the 2017-18 Preseason WCC Coaches Poll. Saint Mary's is first with 81 points (9 first place votes). Rounding out the top-5 is Gonzaga (73 points, 1), BYU (62), USF (59) and Santa Clara (44). Following San Diego (37) is Pepperdine (30), Pacific (24), Portland (21) and LMU (19).
COACH SMITH (3RD YEAR): Coach Lamont Smith (San Diego, 1998) is in his third year at the helm of the Torero basketball program. This year's team was the first Torero team to reach eight wins in its first 10 contests, and had extended their best start to 12 wins in the first 15 games (since USD joined the NCAA Division I ranks in 1979-80). The Toreros enter the Pacific game with a 16-10 record, and the 16 wins is a new personal best for Smith. Prior to USD, Smith was at New Mexico where he was the Associate Head Coach. Prior to UNM he spent time at Washington, Arizona State, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's and Saint Louis. Smith was a member of the USD men's basketball team from 1994-99. He started all 27 games his senior year in 1998-99 for the 18-9 Toreros. He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99. Smith earned a BA degree in Communications in 1998. Lamont and his wife Kimberly have two daughters -- Payton and Olivia.
A LOOK AHEAD: USD returns to the Jenny Craig Pavilion for a Saturday afternoon game against the BYU Cougars (Feb. 17, 1:00 p.m., BYUtv).
* The Toreros continue to be one of the top defensive teams in the country as they rank #2 in 3-point FG% defense (.285), #23 in scoring defense (65.0) and #25 in FG% defense (.405)... USD has also protected the rim and is tied for first in the WCC for blocked shots per game (4.1).
* Junior guard Olin Carter now has 977 career points (86 games/83 starts; 11.4 ppg career average)... He needs just 23 more points to become the program's 25th player to join the 1,000 point club... His 200 career made threes ranks 3rd all-time and his 573 three-point attempts ranks second... Johnny Dee owns both career marks (333-831).
* Among WCC players, Isaiah Wright is #3 in assists (5.4), #3 in steals (1.4), #8 in scoring (14.2) and #15 in rebounding (5.4); Isaiah Pineiro is #6 in scoring (15.8), tie-#10 in rebounding (6.0), #12 in blocked shots (0.8) and FT% (.788), and #13 in FG% (.488); Olin Carter III is #3 in 3-pointers made per game (2.5) and #21 in scoring (11.5); Tyler Williams is #2 in FT% (.875), Yauhen Massalski is #4 in blocked shots per game (1.2) and Juwan Gray is #10 in blocked shots per game (0.9).
* USD is now 9-4 at home and has won 5-of-7... The Toreros are averaging 70.3 ppg while limiting its opponents to 61.5 ppg (+8.8 scoring margin)... Three Toreros average in double-digits at the JCP - Isaiah Pineiro (16.0), Isaiah Wright (12.1), and Olin Carter (11.2)... USD has made 108 three-pointers (8.3 per game) at home while limiting opponents to just 60 (4.6 per game).
* Behind 32 points from guard KJ Feagin, SCU rallied for a 70-64 home win over USD (Feb. 10)... Cameron Neubauer scored a season-high 18 points with 16 coming in the first half as USD jumped out to a 36-27 lead at the break... Isaiah Wright chipped in 16 points followed by Isaiah Pineiro (12).
* Last Thursday (Feb. 8) USD overcame a 10 point second half deficit with nine minutes to go to escape with a 68-66 road win at Pepperdine... Jose Martinez scored a career-high 16 points (5-8 threes) and Olin Carter III connected on two big threes down the stretch.. Isaiah Wright chipped in 10 points, 7 assists and 2 big steals late... USD tied a Torero single game record with 15 made threes.
SCOUTING THE PACIFIC TIGERS: Pacific (13-14, 8-6 WCC) comes to town in 4th place in the WCC standings, one game ahead of the Toreros... The Tigers have won three of four and this past week split their home games to Gonzaga (71-61 loss, Feb. 8) and Portland (60-58 win, Feb. 10)... Against Gonzaga the Tigers were paced by Roberto Gallinat (15 points) while Miles Reynolds poured in 25 points in the two-point win over Portland... For the season Pacific is being paced by Reynolds (14.9 ppg), Gallinat (12.7 ppg) and Jahlil Tripp (11.6 ppg)... In their 74-70 win over San Diego earlier this season, Reynolds led four Tigers in double-digit scoring with 17 points... Head Coach Damon Stoudamire is in his second season.
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics