GAME #26: The USD Toreros (8-17, 3-11 WCC) will play back-to-back games this week with travel-partner BYU (19-8, 10-4). First up is this Thursday, Feb. 18th, at the Jenny Craig Pavilion. Tip-off is slated for 8:05 pm. The Toreros will then travel to Provo, Utah for a 6:00 p.m. (Pacific) contest on Saturday at the Marriott Center.
SERIES RECORD: This is the 13th meeting between USD and BYU with the Cougars owning a 9-3 series lead... Last season each team won on their home floor... USD edged BYU 77-74 on Jan. 24th with Thomas Jacobs totaling career highs of 19 points and 13 rebounds... BYU earned a 75-62 win in Provo on Feb. 19th... Cougar guard Tyler Hawes poured in 28 points... Over the past six games USD is 3-3 against the Cougars.
RADIO/TV/VIDEO STREAM: All USD home and away games will be broadcast live on ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin (2nd season); his pre-game show airs 10 minutes prior to tip-off. The contest will be broadcast by ESPNU (Roxy Bernstein & Corey Williams) and also air on WatchESPN. It will be a "REMI" production where producer/director/graphics/announcers will be based in Charlotte, North Carolina.
WCC STANDINGS (thru Feb. 15th): Gonzaga (12-2 WCC, 20-6), Saint Mary's (11-3, 20-4), BYU (10-4, 19-8), Pepperdine (9-6, 16-10), San Francisco (7-7, 14-11), Portland (5-9, 11-16), Santa Clara (5-9, 9-17), Pacific (5-9, 7-17), LMU (4-11, 11-15), San Diego (3-11, 8-17).
WCC COACHES PRESEASON POLL: The Toreros were picked 9th in the 2015-16 WCC Preseason Men's Basketball Coaches Poll... Team (First Place Vote) - 1. Gonzaga (9), 81 points; 2. BYU (2), 73 points; 3. Pepperdine, 62 points; 4. Saint Mary's, 58 points; 5. Portland, 43 points; 6. Santa Clara, 37points; 7. Pacific, 32 points; 7. San Francisco, 32 points; 9. San Diego, 17 points; 10. Loyola Marymount, 15 points.
COACH SMITH (1ST YEAR): Coach Lamont Smith (San Diego, 1998) is in his first head coaching position and comes from New Mexico where he was the Associate Head Coach... Prior to that he spent time at Washington, Arizona State, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's College and Saint Louis University... Smith, 40, returns to USD where he was a member of the men's basketball team from 1994-99... He started all 27 games his senior year in 1998-99 for the 18-9 Toreros... He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99... Smith earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications from the University of San Diego in 1998... Lamont and his wife Kimberly have two daughters -- Payton and Olivia.
TORERO RECAP FROM BAY AREA TRIP: The Toreros travelled to the bay area last week and were dealt back-to-back losses by Santa Clara (74-71) on Thursday, and San Francisco (68-51) on Saturday... In Thursday's contest, SCU guard Jared Brownridge scored a game-high 19 points, including four clutch free throws in the final 36 seconds of play... The Toreros received a team-high 18 points from Duda Sanadze, with freshman guard Olin Carter III chipping in with 14 points... In the first half USD jumped out to a 9-2 lead only to see SCU rally with 6-of-11 three-point shooting to take a 36-32 halftime lead... Late in the game a Carter three pulled USD to within 61-60 with five minutes to go, but the Broncos would close out the game from there. On Saturday, USF received a game-high 18 points from guard Tim Derksen, with three other Dons players reaching double digits... USD was paced by Olin Carter III (11 points), Duda Sanadze (10) and Alex Floresca (10)... Trailing 31-17 at the half, USD rallied to get within six on two occasions, but USF answered and pushed the lead back to double digits.
* The Toreros return to the Jenny Craig Pavilion this Thursday where they own a 5-5 record ... Vasa Pusica (10.9 ppg) and Jito Kok (10.2 ppg, 6.0 rpg) pace the Toreros in home scoring... The Toreros are 2-4 in WCC home games with wins coming against LMU (77-69) and Pacific (54-43)... In home league contests USD is paced by Kok (11.2 ppg)... As a team in those six WCC games, USD averages 59.5 ppg while surrendering 64.2.
* Senior center Jito Kok ranks 1st in the WCC (#20 in nation thru games of Feb. 14) in blocked shots at 2.48 per game (62 in 25 contests)... He owns all three USD records for blocked shots - single game: 9 vs. UC Davis, 12-15-15; single season: 75 in 2014-15; career: 255 and counting... He is now 3rd all-time among WCC players, trailing only #1 Hondre Brewer of USF, 279 and #2 Omar Samhan of SMC, 258... With a minimum of 5 games left in the season, Kok needs 4 more blocks to move into the #2 spot, and would need 25 to set a new all-time WCC record... He ranks 7th among active career Division I blocked shot leaders (255).
* This past week senior Duda Sanadze scored a team-high 18 points at Santa Clara and followed with 10 points at USF... He leads the team with 15 games in double digits... He scored a career high 29 points at Portland on January 14th, and has reached 20 or more in five contests... Earlier this season he was named to the GCI Great Alaska Shootout All-Tournament team... In 86 career games he has now scored 902 points (10.5 ppg average).
* Against Pacific on Feb. 4th, sophomore guard Vasa Pusica matched his career-high of 19 points he set earlier this season against San Francisco... Against Pacific he converted all eight field goal attempts including a perfect 3-3 from beyond the arc... This season he has reached double-digit scoring eight times, including 17-point efforts against CSUN & LMU.
* Sophomore guard Marcus Harris made it back into the line-up at LMU on Jan. 23rd after missing four games due to an eye injury suffered late in the USF game on January 7th... He scored a career-high 23 points to lead the Toreros past the LMU Lions 77-69 at the JCP on January 30th... He made 7-11 shots from the field, 4-8 threes and 5-7 free throws.
* In the home win over LMU the Toreros buried 10-of-20 three-pointers... Besides Harris' 4-8 shooting, freshman guard Olin Carter III was 2-2; senior forward Duda Sanadze was 2-4, junior forward Brett Bailey was 1-2 and sophomore guard Vasa Pusica was 1-4... This marked the third time USD made 10 or more threes leading to a win - SDSU (10-27), CSUN (15-35)... The CSUN numbers are both single game records for makes and attempts.
* The WCC announced on January 22nd the adjusted WCC Men's Basketball Championship bracket. It has been revised to a nine-team format after the WCC membership reconfigured its men's basketball tournament due to the University of the Pacific's withdrawal. The #8 and #9 seeds will play on Friday, March 4th in a 6:00 p.m. contest (BYUtv, TheW.tv) with the winner advancing to play the #1 seed on Saturday, March 5th, in the 7:00 p.m. contest (ESPN2/WatchESPN).
* USD knocked off San Diego State in the annual City Championship game played outdoors at Petco Park on December 6th by the score of 53-48... Senior Duda Sanadze turned in an inspiring peformance with 15 points (5-10 in threes), 6 rebounds and a career-best 5 steals... Freshman guard Olin Carter III helped USD to a 31-13 halftime advantage by making 4-of-5 threes in the first 20 minutes.
* Four recent Toreros are currently playing professionally overseas - Gyno Pomare, '09 (Kanazawa Samuraiz; Kanazawa, Japan), Dennis Kramer, '14 (EWE Baskets; Oldenberg, Germany), Johnny Dee, '15 (Polpharma; Starogard Gdanski, Poland) and Christopher Anderson, '15 (Weissenhorn Youngstars; Weissenhorn, Germany).
SCOUTING THE BYU COUGARS: The BYU Cougars (19-8, 10-4 WCC) swept both bay area games last week against San Francisco (114-89) and Santa Clara (96-62)... Freshman guard Nick Emery was named the WCC Player of the Week and CBS National Player of the Week after averaging 34.0 ppg... Against USF Emery scored a career-high 37 points while connecting on 10-12 three-pointers... He followed up with 31 points in the win over Santa Clara... BYU has won five of their last six with the lone loss coming against Pacific on Feb. 6th by the score of 77-72... For the season four Cougars are averaging double digits - Chase Fischer (18.6 ppg; #5 in WCC), Nick Emery (16.1 ppg #8 WCC), Kyle Collinsworth (15.0 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 7.4 apg)... BYU owns a 5-6 record in "true" away games, and 8-7 overall away from the Marriott Center... BYU leads all WCC teams in scoring (84.3 ppg) for the season, and in WCC play (84.8 ppg)... Head Coach Dave Rose is in his 11th season (276-96).
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros play at BYU in Provo (Sat., Feb. 20th, 6pm Pacific on BYUtv). Next week the Toreros will close out their regular-season schedule with home games against Gonzaga (Thur., Feb. 25th, 7pm) and Portland (Sat., Feb. 27th, 6pm).
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics