GAME #31: The USD Toreros (13-17, 6-12 WCC), the No. 7 seed for the 2017 WCC Championships, will take on the No.10 seed Portland Pilots (10-21, 2-16 WCC) in first round action this coming Friday, March 3rd. The 8:00 p.m. (approx.) game follows the #8 Pepperdine vs. #9 Pacific first game slated to tip-off at 6:00 p.m. at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.
SERIES RECORD: This is the 81st meeting between USD and Portland with the Toreros owning a 51-29 series edge, and a streak of five straight wins... USD closed out its regular-season on Saturday by holding onto a 85-82 home win over Portland... Olin Carter III led six Toreros in double-digits with 21 points... In the first meeting back on Jan. 28th in Portland, the Toreros came away with a 68-52 victory... Carter scored 24 points and knocked down 5 three-pointers... Last season outcomes: 82-71 in Portland on Jan. 14th; 85-76 in San Diego on Feb. 27th... Duda Sanadze paced USD in both games with a career-high 38 point in last year's regular-season finale, and with 29 points at the Chiles Center... In four WCC Tournament games the series is tied 2-2 with the last meeting coming in 2010, a 72-57 Portland win.
RADIO/TV: All USD home and away games will be broadcast on ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin (3rd season) bringing you all the action; his pre-game show airs 15 minutes prior to tip-off. Friday's game will be televised on BYUtv, TheW.tv and Twitter. Dave McCann, play-by-play; Steve Cleveland, color analyst.
WCC STANDINGS (thru Feb. 26th): #4/#4 Gonzaga (17-1 WCC, 29-1), #20/#18 Saint Mary's (16-2, 26-3), BYU (12-6, 21-10), San Francisco (10-8, 20-11), Santa Clara (10-8, 16-15), Loyola Marymount (8-10, 15-14), San Diego (6-12, 13-17), Pepperdine (5-13, 9-21), Pacific (4-14, 10-21), Portland (2-16, 10-21).
COACH SMITH (2ND YEAR): Coach Lamont Smith (San Diego, 1998) enters his second year at the helm of the Torero basketball program... This year he owns a 13-17 record after he guided the Toreros to a 9-21 mark his rookie year that included a 53-48 win over SDSU at Petco Park, and WCC sweep of Portland... Prior to USD he was at the University of New Mexico where he was the Associate Head Coach... Prior to UNM he spent time at Washington, Arizona State, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's College and Saint Louis University... Smith returns to USD where he was a member of the men's basketball team from 1994-99... He started all 27 games his senior year in 1998-99 for the 18-9 Toreros... He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99... Smith earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications from the University of San Diego in 1998... Lamont and his wife Kimberly have two daughters -- Payton and Olivia.
BAILEY & CARTER EARN ALL-WCC RECOGNITION: The WCC released the 2016-17 All-WCC Men's Basketball Teams today... Senior forward Brett Bailey (Spokane, WA) was named to the five-member All-WCC Second Team while sophomore guard Olin Carter III (Allen, TX) was selected All-WCC Honorable Mention... Bailey ranks 6th in the WCC in both scoring (15.5 ppg) and rebounding (6.9 rpg), while ranking 8th in free throw percentage (.760)... He owns nine games of 20 or more points this season. Carter ranks 8th in the WCC in scoring (15.4), second in 3-pointers made per game (3.1) and 5th in free throw percentage (.782)... He has reached double-digit scoring a team-best 25 times this season, including a personal-best 34 points vs. Bethesda.
John Cunningham, former USD baseball coach and a longtime member of the USD athletics staff, will be inducted into the 2017 West Coast Conference Hall of Honor class on Saturday, March 4 at 9:00 a.m. at the Mardi Gras Ballroom in the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.Cunningham, along with one inductee from each of the other nine WCC schools, will be honored throughout the course of the basketball championships. Cunningham was head coach for USD's baseball program from 1964-1998, and was an assistant basketball coach for USD from 1962-1977. A native San Diegan, he attended USF where he was a standout basketball and baseball player. He was named the 1959 USF Athlete of the Year.
* This past Thursday the Toreros held on for an 85-82 home win over Portland... Sophomore guard Olin Carter III scored a team-high 21 points and was one of six Toreros to score in double-digits... Carter was followed by Cameron Neubauer (18 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists), Brett Bailey (12 points, 8 rebounds), Tyler Williams (11 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists), Jose Martinez (11 first half points in 4 minutes, 3-3 in 3s) and Juwan Gray (10 points)... The Toreros held a 43-31 halftime lead and extended that advantage to 51-33 with 17:29 to go... The Pilots, who were led by guard D'Marques Tyson with 24 points (7-9 in 3s), rallied to get within two points at 55-53 with 9:47 to go... The Toreros would answer with an 8-0 run to take control again only to have to hold off the Pilots final rally to the end... USD made 13-of-31 three-pointers and shot 53.8% overall from the field (28-52).
* In the first meeting with Portland, Olin Carter III scored a game-high 24 points in leading the Toreros to their third WCC road win with a 68-52 victory... The sophomore guard from Allen, Texas converted 5-of-11 three-pointers... He was followed in the double-digit scoring column by Brett Bailey (16 points, 12 rebounds) and Cameron Neubauer (16 points)... San Diego converted 50.0% from the field (24-48), 44.4% from three-point range (8-18) and 92.3% from the charity stripe (12-13)... USD dominated in the rebounding department coming away with a 37-14 advantage... The host Pilots jumped out to a 6-0 lead to start the game but USD rallied to take a 38-30 halftime lead behind Carter's 13 points... It was USD's 4th straight win over the Pilots... UP was paced by Jazz Johnson with 19 points.
* Through 30 games the Toreros have converted 247-of-708 three-pointers (.349)... Top marksmen include Juwan Gray (.415, 27-65), Tyler Williams (.382, 29-76) and Olin Carter III (.378, 90-238)... Cameron Neubauer (46-140, .329) and Brett Bailey (29-89, .326) rank 2nd & 3rd in makes... Last year through 30 games USD was 192-673 (.285) beyond the arc.
* Including games played through Feb. 25th, USD has two players that rank in the top-10 in various WCC statistics - Brett Bailey (#6 in scoring, 15.5; #6 in rebounding, 6.9; #8 in FT%, .760) and Olin Carter III (#2 in 3-pointers made per game, 3.1; #5 in FT%, .782; #8 in scoring, 15.4).
* Through 30 games the Toreros are being paced by Brett Bailey (15.5 ppg, 6.9 rpg), Olin Carter III (15.4 ppg) and Cameron Neubauer (11.0 ppg, 5.4 rpg)... As a team the Toreros are averaging 65.7 ppg and 33.2 rpg while holding its opponents on average to 71.7 ppg and 34.3 rpg... Freshman Juwan Gray ranks second on the team in rebounding (5.9) and fourth in scoring (7.2)... Sophomore Tyler Williams ranks 5th in scoring (6.7) and 4th in rebounding (4.6).
SCOUTING THE PORTLAND PILOTS: The Portland Pilots finished the regular-season with a 10-21 overall record and 2-16 WCC mark ... On Saturday night they dropped an 85-82 contest at USD despite 24 points from D'Marques Tyson (7-9 in 3s)... Portland snapped a recent 14-game skid with their Feb. 20th 96-58 win over Walla Walla - the game was added to the schedule to replace the Boise State game in December that was postponed due to inclement weather... UP lost all-WCC guard Alec Wintering to a season-ending knee injury on Jan. 19 at USF... With Wintering (19.5 ppg in 18 starts) out, Jazz Johnson is the team's leading scorer with his 15.5 ppg average... He is followed by junior forward Gabe Taylor (11.7 ppg)... As a team the Pilots are averaging 67.6 ppg and 33.7 rpg while giving up 72.5 ppg and 36.8 rpg on average to its opponents... Head Coach Terry Porter, a Portland basketball icon, is in his first season.
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics