GAME #5: The USD Toreros (4-0), under the direction of head coach Lamont Smith, are off to the program's best start in five seasons (2013-14; 5-0). With Monday's 66-52 win over Little Rock, the Toreros became just the third USD men's basketball team to start 4-0 since moving to the NCAA Division I ranks in 1979-80. On Saturday USD meets up with tournament host Grand Canyon University (4-0), ranked 25th in the collegeinsider.com Mid-Major Top 25. Both teams are now 3-0 in Grand Canyon Classic round-robin play with the series' final game at GCU Arena on Saturday, November 25th, at 6:00 p.m. (PST).
SERIES RECORD: This is the 21st meeting between USD and Grand Canyon University with the Antelopes leading 11-9... This is just the second meeting during USD's Division I era with the Toreros winning the second game of the 2013-14 campaign at the Jenny Craig Pavilion, 70-59. GCU leads 6-2 in games played in Phoenix, Arizona.
RADIO/TV/STREAM: All USD home and away games will be broadcast on either The Mighty 1090AM or ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin (4th season) bringing you all the action; his pre-game show airs 15 minutes prior to tip-off. Saturday's game will air on ESPN 1700AM with Ben Higgins filling in for Jack Cronin. The game is also being televised and will air live in San Diego on YurView (Barry Buetel, play-by-play; Scott Williams, color anaylst; Kate Longworth, sideline reporter), as well as stream on ESPN3.
WCC STANDINGS (as of Nov. 21): San Diego (4-0), Saint Mary's (4-0), Gonzaga (3-0), BYU (3-1), San Francisco (3-1), LMU (2-1), Portland (2-1), Pepperdine (2-3), Santa Clara (1-2), Pacific (1-3).
WCC PRESEASON COACHES POLL: The Toreros were picked to place sixth by the WCC head coaches in the 2017-18 Preseason WCC Coaches Poll. Saint Mary's was selected first with 81 points and 9 first place votes. Rounding out the top-5 was Gonzaga (73 points, 1 first place vote), BYU (62 points), San Francisco (59 points) and Santa Clara (44 points). Following San Diego is Pepperdine (30 points), Pacific (24 points), Portland (21 points) and Loyola Marymount (19 points).
COACH SMITH (3RD YEAR): Coach Lamont Smith (San Diego, 1998) is in his third year at the helm of the Torero basketball program. The team's current 4-0 start marks just the third time is the best since the 2013-14 campaign (5-0) He welcomes back four starters from last year's squad that finished 13-18 overall. The Toreros earned a home victory over BYU and swept Portland during league play. Brett Bailey, last year's lone senior and team captain, earned All-WCC Second Team honors. Prior to USD Smith was at the University of New Mexico where he was the Associate Head Coach. Prior to UNM he spent time at Washington, Arizona State, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's College and Saint Louis University. Smith returned to USD where he was a member of the men's basketball team from 1994-99. He started all 27 games his senior year in 1998-99 for the 18-9 Toreros. He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99. Smith earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications from the University of San Diego in 1998. Lamont and his wife Kimberly have two daughters -- Payton and Olivia.
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros return to host crosstown rival San Diego State on Thursday, November 30th. The game is now an 8:00 p.m. tip-off and will be televised by Fox Sports West (Kevin Barnett, Ryan Hollins, Michelle Margaux).
* USD's current 4-0 start has only been matched by two previous Torero teams from the NCAA Division I era that began in 1979-80... The most recent team was the 2013-14 club that got out of the gates with a 5-0 start and finished the year 18-17; the first team was the 1990-91 squad that started 5-0 and finished out the year with a 17-12 mark. The Toreros rank #17 in the NCAA in scoring defense (57.8) and #39 in FG% defense (.366).
* The Toreros fourth straight win was spearheaded by Isaiah Pineiro's 20 point, 7 rebound, 4 assist and 4 steal performance against Little Rock on Nov. 20... San Diego used 11-0 runs to open up each half and its defense held LR to 37.3% shooting (19-51) and forced them into 17 turnovers... Isaiah Wright (12) and Cameron Neubauer (11) also reached double digits.
* The Toreros dealt Norfolk State a 71-62 loss on Nov. 18... Olin Carter III scored a game-high 21 points... Cameron Neubauer (16 points) and Isaiah Pineiro (14 points, 7 rebounds) also reached double-digits, while sophomore forward Juwan Gray grabbed a game-high 8 rebounds... Carter scored 13 of his points in the first half as USD jumped out to a 38-16 advantage... The Toreros canned 12-26 threes.
* The Toreros opened up their 2017-18 home slate with a 65-53 win over Robert Morris on November 15th... Isaiah Wright paced the Toreros with a game-high 17 points to go with 8 rebounds and 6 assists... He was joined in double-digit scoring by Yauhen Massalski (11 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks) and Alex Floresca (10 points)... The Torero defense held the Colonials to 53 points and 33.3% shooting (18-54) and came out on top in the rebounding department (44-32).
* The Toreros opened the 2017-18 season with an impressive 81-64 road win over San Jose State on November 12th... Junior guard Isaiah Wright (22 points, 7 assists, 5 steals) led four Toreros in double digit scoring... He was followed by Olin Carter III (18), Cameron Neubauer (13) and Isaiah Pineiro (13 and team-high 6 rebounds)... Freshman forward Yauhen Massalski chipped in 8 points and 4 rebounds as USD shot 57.4% from the field (31-54) and 52.9% from beyond the arc (9-17)... USD led 51-29 at the halftime break.
* USD junior guard Isaiah Wright (Boise, Idaho) was named the WCC men's basketball player of the week (Nov. 13). Wright paced four Toreros in double digit scoring with a game-high 22 points to go with 7 assists and 5 steals in leading San Diego to an 81-64 road win over San Jose State. Wright made 9-of-13 shots overall (69.2%) and was 2-2 from beyond the arc. He scored eight of the team’s first 10 points as USD jumped out to a 10-5 advantage. At halftime with the Toreros leading 51-29, he had 17 points on 7-8 shooting to go with 4 assists and 4 steals.
SCOUTING THE GRAND CANYON LOPES': Grand Canyon University, like San Diego, is off to a 4-0 start, including three wins against teams playing in the Grand Canyon Classic... GCU's wins, all at home, include Florida A&M (67-51), Robert Morris (75-61), Little Rock (76-51) and Norfolk State (85-60)... In their most recent outing against Norfolk State, sophomore forward Oscar Frayer paced the Antelopes with 19 points to lead four players in double digits... Through four games redshirt senior guard Joshua Braun is the team's leading scorer at 16.8 ppg (13-27 in threes, .481)... He is followed by senior guard Casey Benson (11.5) and Frayer (11.3)... Head Coach Dan Majerle is in his 5th season... Associate Head Coach Todd Lee (5th year) is a former Torero assistant (1989-92) to Hank Egan... The Lopes' are averaging 7,080 fans per game through four home contests.
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics