GAME #6: The USD Toreros (5-0), under the direction of head coach Lamont Smith, are off to the program's best start in five seasons (2013-14; 5-0). On Thursday, November 30th, the Toreros will host crosstown rival San Diego State (5-2) in a 8:05 p.m. contest at the Jenny Craig Pavilion (5,100 capacity).
SERIES RECORD: This is the 49th meeting between these two programs with SDSU owning a 30-18 advantage... In last year's season opener on Nov. 11th, the Aztecs won 69-59 at Viejas Arena... Olin Carter III paced the Toreros with 17 points... USD snapped a 9-game SDSU win streak in 2015 with a 53-48 neutral site victory played outdoors at Petco Park on December 6th... USD's last win over SDSU at the JCP came on November 30, 2005; a 90-80 victory.
TICKETS: Single game, 3-game mini-packs, group tickets and season tickets are available by contacting the USD Athletics ticket office (619-260-7550) or by visiting www.usdtoreros.com.
RADIO/TV: All USD home and away games will be broadcast on either The Mighty 1090AM or ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin (4th season) bringing you all the action; his pre-game show airs 15 minutes prior to tip-off. Thursday's game will air on The Mighty 1090AM. The game is also being televised by Fox Sports West (Kevin Barnett, play-by-play; Ryan Hollins, color analyst; Michelle Margaux, sideline reporter), and will also stream on TheW.tv (out-of-region).
WCC STANDINGS (as of Nov. 26): San Diego (5-0), Gonzaga (5-1), San Francisco (3-1), Saint Mary's (5-2), BYU (4-2), LMU (3-2), Pacific (3-4), Pepperdine (2-4), Portland (2-4), Santa Clara (1-5).
WCC PRESEASON COACHES POLL: The Toreros were picked to place sixth by the WCC head coaches in the 2017-18 Preseason WCC Coaches Poll. Saint Mary's was selected first with 81 points and 9 first place votes. Rounding out the top-5 was Gonzaga (73 points, 1 first place vote), BYU (62 points), San Francisco (59 points) and Santa Clara (44 points). Following San Diego is Pepperdine (30 points), Pacific (24 points), Portland (21 points) and Loyola Marymount (19 points).
COACH SMITH (3RD YEAR): Coach Lamont Smith (San Diego, 1998) is in his third year at the helm of the Torero basketball program. The team's current 5-0 start matches the program's best Divison I start (2013-14 & 1990-91). He welcomes back four starters from last year's squad that finished 13-18 overall. The Toreros earned a home victory over BYU and swept Portland during league play. Brett Bailey, last year's lone senior and team captain, earned All-WCC Second Team honors. Prior to USD Smith was at the University of New Mexico where he was the Associate Head Coach. Prior to UNM he spent time at Washington, Arizona State, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's College and Saint Louis University. Smith returned to USD where he was a member of the men's basketball team from 1994-99. He started all 27 games his senior year in 1998-99 for the 18-9 Toreros. He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99. Smith earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications from the University of San Diego in 1998. Lamont and his wife Kimberly have two daughters -- Payton and Olivia.
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros close out the week with a game at UC Santa Barbara (4-2)on Saturday, December 2nd. Game time is 7:00 p.m. at the Thunderdome. The Gauchos play at San Francisco on Tuesday evening before the tilt with the Toreros.
* USD's current 5-0 start has only been matched by two previous Torero teams from the NCAA Division I era that began in 1979-80... The most recent team was the 2013-14 club that got out of the gates with a 5-0 start and finished the year 18-17; the first team was the 1990-91 squad that started 5-0 and finished out the year with a 17-12 mark.
* The Toreros hot start can be attributed mainly to their team defensive effort... USD currently ranks #2 in the NCAA in 3-point field goal percentage defense (19.0%),#13 in scoring defense (58.6) and #21 in FG% defense (.367).... USD ranks #1 in WCC in these categories.
* On Saturday the Toreros earned an impressive 72-62 road win over previously undefeated Grand Canyon (No. 25 in CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major poll)... Junior guard Isaiah Wright came within a rebound of a triple-double with 16 points, 10 assists and 9 rebounds... Junior forward Isaiah Pineiro (17 points), freshman forward Yauhen Massalski (17 points, 7 rebounds) and junior guard Olin Carter III (15 points) also reached double digit scoring... The Toreros did not allow GCU to score a basket over the final nine minutes of action.
* The Toreros win over Little Rock (Nov. 20) was spearheaded by Isaiah Pineiro's 20 point, 7 rebound, 4 assist and 4 steal performance... San Diego used 11-0 runs to open up each half and its defense held LR to 37.3% shooting (19-51) and forced them into 17 turnovers... Isaiah Wright (12) and Cameron Neubauer (11) also reached double digits.
* The Toreros dealt Norfolk State a 71-62 loss on Nov. 18... Olin Carter III scored a game-high 21 points... Cameron Neubauer (16 points) and Isaiah Pineiro (14 points, 7 rebounds) also reached double-digits, while sophomore forward Juwan Gray grabbed a game-high 8 rebounds... Carter scored 13 of his points in the first half as USD jumped out to a 38-16 advantage... The Toreros canned 12-26 threes.
* The Toreros opened up their 2017-18 home slate with a 65-53 win over Robert Morris on November 15th... Isaiah Wright paced the Toreros with a game-high 17 points to go with 8 rebounds and 6 assists... He was joined in double-digit scoring by Yauhen Massalski (11 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks) and Alex Floresca (10 points)... The Torero defense held the Colonials to 53 points and 33.3% shooting (18-54) and came out on top in the rebounding department (44-32).
* The Toreros opened the 2017-18 season with an impressive 81-64 road win over San Jose State on November 12th... Junior guard Isaiah Wright (22 points, 7 assists, 5 steals) led four Toreros in double digit scoring... He was followed by Olin Carter III (18), Cameron Neubauer (13) and Isaiah Pineiro (13 and team-high 6 rebounds)... Freshman forward Yauhen Massalski chipped in 8 points and 4 rebounds as USD shot 57.4% from the field (31-54) and 52.9% from beyond the arc (9-17)... USD led 51-29 at the halftime break.
SCOUTING SAN DIEGO STATE: San Diego State, under the direction of first year head coach Brian Dutcher (19th year with program), bring a record of 5-2 to the Jenny Craig Pavilion... They had their 4-game winning streak snapped on Nov. 26 with a 93-86 loss to Washington State in the championship game of the Wooden Legacy... Prior to that they had run off wins against McNeese (83-52), Eastern Illinois (94-63), Sacramento State (89-52) and Georgia (75-68)... Devin Watson leads four players in double-digit scoring with his 13.9 points per game averge... He is followed by guard Trey Kell (13.6 ppg), forward Malik Pope (12.4 ppg, 6.7 rpg) and forward Matt Mitchell (11.1 ppg)... SDSU is averaging 83.7 points per game and limiting its opponents on average to 67.1 points per game... SDSU was picked to finish second in the preseason Mountain West Conference poll.
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics