GAME #8: The USD Toreros (2-5) will put their two-game winning streak up against the San Diego State Aztecs (5-3) this coming Sunday, December 6th, in a 2:00 p.m. contest at Petco Park. This will be the first collegiate basketball game played at Petco Park.
fSERIES RECORD: This is the 47th meeting between these two programs with the Aztecs owning a 29-17 advantage... SDSU has won the last nine meetings, including last season's 57-48 victory at Viejas Arena on December 4th... USD's last victory came on November 30, 2005; a 90-80 victory at the Jenny Craig Pavilion... Sunday's game with San Diego State will just be the second time these two teams have met in a neutral site scenario (first time Dec. 1, 1992 at the then-San Diego Sports Arena; 85-60 USD win).
RADIO/TV: All USD home and away games will be broadcast live on ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin (2nd season) bringing you all the action; his pre-game shows air 10 minutes prior to tip-off. Sunday's contest will also air on FSSD (Don Orsillo, pxp; Brad Holland, analyst; J.T. Rogan, sideline reporter). The FSSD pre-game & post-game shows will be hosted by Mike Pomeranz with DJ Gay and John Kentera providing analysis.
WCC STANDINGS (thru Dec. 2nd): Saint Mary's (4-0), Gonzaga (5-1), BYU (4-2), LMU (4-3), San Francisco (4-3), Portland (4-4), Pepperdine (3-4), San Diego (2-5), Pacific (1-5), Santa Clara (1-7).
WCC COACHES PRESEASON POLL: The Toreros were picked 9th in the 2015-16 WCC Preseason Men's Basketball Coaches Poll... Team (First Place Vote) - 1. Gonzaga (9), 81 points; 2. BYU (2), 73 points; 3. Pepperdine, 62 points; 4. Saint Mary's, 58 points; 5. Portland, 43 points; 6. Santa Clara, 37points; 7. Pacific, 32 points; 7. San Francisco, 32 points; 9. San Diego, 17 points; 10. Loyola Marymount, 15 points.
TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE FOR USD-SDSU GAME AT PETCO : Tickets are still available for the first collegiate basketball game to be played in Petco Park. This will mark the 18th consecutive season that USD and SDSU have played each other and only the second time they have played on a neutral site (Dec. 1, 1992 at the then-San Diego Sports Arena). Tickets to see the Toreros vs. the Aztecs are still available and can be purchased by visiting www.padres.com/bball. And don't forget to join fellow USD alumni and friends --- Torero fans all --- for the pre-game tailgate party at the Omni Hotel, adjacent to Petco Park. Tickets are $10 before December 6; $15 each at the door.
COACH SMITH (1ST YEAR): Coach Lamont Smith (San Diego, 1998) is in his first head coaching position and comes from New Mexico where he was the Associate Head Coach... Prior to that he spent time at Washington, Arizona State, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's College and Saint Louis University... Smith returns to USD where he was a member of the men's basketball team from 1994-99... He started all 27 games his senior year in 1998-99 for the 18-9 Toreros... He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99... Smith earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications from the University of San Diego in 1998... Lamont and his wife Kimberly have two daughters -- Payton and Olivia.
* Senior wing Duda Sanadze (Tbilisi, Georgia) was named to the 2015 GCI Great Alaska Shootout All-Tournament Team... For the three games he averaged 17.7 points and 6.3 rebounds, while shooting 50% from the field (19-38), 46.7% from three-point (7-15) and 88.9% from the free throw line (8-9)... He opened the tourney with 20 points against Loyola Chicago and followed up with 21 points against San Jose State... In the win over Drexel he contributed 12 points and seven rebounds... With 21 points in USD's 71-56 win over Bethesda, Sanadze has now scored 20 or more points in three of the last four USD games... His team-best 14.0 ppg average ranks 14th among all West Coast Conference players. f
* Senior center Jito Kok ranks 1st in the WCC in blocked shots at 2.3 per game (16 in 7 contests)... He owns all three USD records for blocked shots - single game: 8 vs. LMU, 1-8-15; single season: 75 in 2014-15; career: 209 and counting... In Wednesday's win over Bethesda, Kok pulled down a season-best 11 rebounds, just one off his career-high of 12 vs. Northern Kentucky (11-16-13).
* Sophomore guard Marcus Harris twice has scored a personal-best 14 points this season (@ CS Fullerton, Drexel) and tallied 13 points once (@ Western Michigan)... In each of the three double-digit contests he buried three three-pointers... He leads the team with 11 made threes.
* Freshman point guard Olin Carter III has started all seven games during his rookie season... He has proven to be a solid rebounder for the Toreros having grabbed 7 rebounds in three different contests (USC, Drexel, Bethesda)... His 4.4 rebounds per game average is tied for the team lead with Duda Sanadze and junior forward Brett Bailey.
* Fox Sports San Diego analyst Brad Holland, USD's men's basketball head coach between 1994-2007, coached current USD head coach Lamont Smith all four years he played for the Toreros (1995-99), as well as current USD assistant coach Sam Scholl (1998-2000). Scholl joined Holland's coaching staff following graduation in 2000 and stayed thru the 2006-07 season.
SCOUTING THE SDSU AZTECS: The Aztecs bring a record of 5-3 to Petco Park... They are coming off a 76-72 road win over Long Beach State on December 1st... Other wins have come against Illinois State (71-60), San Diego Christian (71-61), East Carolina (79-54), and No. 14 California (72-58)... The three losses were at No. 16 Utah (81-76), at home vs. Little Rock (49-43) and vs. No. 22 West Virginia (72-50)... Freshman guard Jeremy Hemsley leads the team in scoring at 13.3 points per game... He is joined in double-digit scoring by guard Dakari Allen (10.1 ppg)... The Aztecs are averaging 67.2 points per game while limiting their opponents to 63.4 points on average... Head Coach Steve Fisher is in his 17th season (344-188), and 25th full season (528-270).
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros will close out their nonconference slate with three straight home games against Denver (Dec. 9, 7pm), UC Davis (Dec. 15, 7:30 pm) and Cal State Northridge (Dec. 23, 7pm)... The WCC schedule gets underway with road games at Pacific (Dec. 31, 6 p.m.) and Saint Mary's College (Jan. 2, 7:00 p.m.).
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics