GAME #14: The USD Toreros (10-3, 1-0 WCC), under the direction of head coach Lamont Smith, return to the Jenny Craig Pavilion this Saturday, December 30th, for a 1:00 p.m. contest against the Pepperdine Waves (3-10, 0-1 WCC). This is the West Coast Conference Game of the Week.
SERIES RECORD: This is the 106th meeting between USD and Pepperdine with the Waves owning a 62-43 advantage... The Waves won the last game played on Feb. 11, 2017 at the JCP by the score of 65-60... Cameron Neubauer paced the Toreros with 13 points and 12 rebounds... USD won the in Malibu on Jan. 7th by score of 76-68... Tyler Williams scored a career-high 20 points with Juwan Gray adding 11 points & 14 rebounds.
TICKETS: USD single game, 3-game mini-packs, group tickets and season tickets for games at the Jenny Craig Pavilion are available by contacting the USD Athletics ticket office (619-260-7550) or by visiting www.usdtoreros.com.
RADIO/TV/STREAM: All USD home and away games will be broadcast on either The Mighty 1090AM or ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin (4th season) bringing you all the action; his pre-game show airs 15 minutes prior to tip-off. Cronin's call on Saturday will be broadcast on ESPN 1700AM. The game will also be televised by SPECTRUM (Barry Tompkins & Brad Holland) and also air on ROOT NW, NBCS CA and ATT RW. Additionally, the game will stream on TheW.tv.
WCC STANDINGS (as of Dec. 29): BYU (1-0 WCC, 12-2), Saint Mary's College (1-0, 12-2), Gonzaga (1-0, 11-3), San Diego (1-0, 10-3), Santa Clara (1-0, 4-9), San Francisco (0-1, 8-6), Portland (0-1, 6-8), Loyola Marymount (0-1, 5-7), Pacific (0-1, 5-9), Pepperdine (0-1, 3-10).
WCC PRESEASON COACHES POLL: The Toreros were picked to place sixth by the WCC head coaches in the 2017-18 Preseason WCC Coaches Poll. Saint Mary's was selected first with 81 points and 9 first place votes. Rounding out the top-5 was Gonzaga (73 points, 1 first place vote), BYU (62 points), USF (59 points) and Santa Clara (44 points). Following San Diego is Pepperdine (30 points), Pacific (24 points), Portland (21 points) and Loyola Marymount (19 points).
COACH SMITH (3RD YEAR): Coach Lamont Smith (San Diego, 1998) is in his third year at the helm of the Torero basketball program. This year's team was the first Torero team to reach eight wins in its first 10 contests since USD joined the NCAA Division I ranks in 1979-80. The Toreros enter the Pepperdine game with a 10-3 record. Prior to USD, Smith was at the University of New Mexico where he was the Associate Head Coach. Prior to UNM he spent time at Washington, Arizona State, Santa Clara, Saint Mary's College and Saint Louis University. Smith returned to USD where he was a member of the men's basketball team from 1994-99. He started all 27 games his senior year in 1998-99 for the 18-9 Toreros. He was named the Toreros' Defensive Player of the Year in 1997 and 1999 and served as the team captain from 1997-99. Smith earned a BA degree in Communications from USD in 1998. Lamont and his wife Kimberly have two daughters -- Payton and Olivia.
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros hit the road for three straight games beginning with Portland on Thursday, January 4th (7:00 p.m.). That will be followed by games at Saint Mary's College (Sat., Jan. 6th, 8:00 p.m.) and Pacific (Thur., Jan. 11th, 7:00 p.m.).
* The Toreros continue to be one of the top defensive teams in the country as they rank #1 in 3-point FG% defense (.226), #8 in FG% defense (.370) and #11 in scoring defense (61.2).
* Among WCC players, Isaiah Wright is #2 in assists (6.0), #4 in steals (1.6), #11 in scoring (13.8) and #14 in rebounding (5.8); Isaiah Pineiro is #6 in scoring (15.8) and #8 in rebounding (6.4); Olin Carter III is #4 in 3-pointers made per game (2.5) and Yauhen Massalski is #4 in blocked shots per game (1.5).
* USD is now 6-2 at home this season... The Toreros are averaging 73.5 ppg while limiting its opponents to 60.5 ppg (+13.0 scoring margin)... Four Toreros average in double-digits at the JCP - Isaiah Pineiro (16.0), Isaiah Wright (11.8), Olin Carter (11.0), Tyler Williams (10.9)... USD's fifth starter, Cameron Neubauer, is just outside double-digits at 9.0 ppg... USD has made 72 three-pointers at home while limiting opponents to just 28 (3.5 per game).
* Over the past five games the Toreros are 4-1... The lone loss being an 86-83 overtime loss to North Texas... During this stretch USD is averaging 79.6 ppg while limiting opponents to 62.0 ppg (+17.6 scoring margin)... USD's current starters during this stretch have led the balanced scoring - Isaiah Pineiro (16.0), Isaiah Wright (14.2), Tyler Williams (12.6), Olin Carter (10.0) and Cameron Neubauer (8.2).
* Over the past two games the Toreros have totaled 19 blocked shots (10 vs. Life Pacific, 9 vs. San Francisco)... The school record is 11 vs. UC Riverside (12-6-2005)... Yauhen Massalski (6), Isaiah Pineiro (4) and Juwan Gray (3) have led the way in this defensive department.
* In Thursday's WCC opening 73-63 win over USF the Toreros were paced by Isaiah Pineiro (23 points & 8 rebounds) and Isaiah Wright (17 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists)... Olin Carter III chipped in with 13 points... USD made 8-of-18 three-pointers (44.4%) while limiting the Dons to just 2-of-15 shooting beyond the arc.
SCOUTING THE PEPPERDINE WAVES: The Pepperdine Waves come to town with a record of 3-10 (0-6 away games) and 0-1 WCC mark following their 72-65 WCC road loss at Santa Clara on Thursday... The Waves, who have dropped four straight, were hit by the injury bug for most of their non-conference slate... The past four games they have been without the services of Kameron Edwards (15.9 ppg / 6.8 rpg) due to a concussion... Against SCU the Waves were paced by two freshmen guards - Colbey Ross (20 points) and Trae Berhow (15 points)... SCU made 11 three-pointers and was led by Matt Hauser (5-9 in threes)... Ross is averaging 14.2 ppg while Berhow is at 10.3 ppg... Pepperdine is averaging 74.1 ppg but giving up 79.4 ppg... Head Coach Marty Wilson is in his 7th season at the helm.
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics