GAME #1: The USD Toreros (0-0), under the direction of fifth year head coach Dale Lindsey, open up their 2017 campaign this Saturday, September 2nd, against Western New Mexico University (0-0). Kickoff is slated for 2:00 p.m. at Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium.
FOOTBALL TICKETS: USD offers some outstanding packages for its Torero fans for the five regular season games. All season tickets are located on the south side of the stadium- sections 112-123. An individual season ticket costs $60.00. A USD Faculty/Staff season ticket costs $40.00. USD is excited to offer a new promotion for its recent Torero Graduates (within last 5 years), a season ticket for $40.00. A Family Four Pack (includes two adult and two children season tickets) can be purchased for $180.00. Season tickets can be purchased online, by phone or in-person. USD Faculty/Staff, Recent Graduate and Family Four Pack may only be purchased through the box office, either by phone 619-260-7550 or in-person. Single game ticket prices for football include the following: reserved seating ($15), general admission ($10 adult, $5 high school student or under). USD faculty and staff receive up to four free general admission tickets (available upon request). The Toreros provide an excellent Family Four Pack for $48; this comes with four general admission tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas and one popcorn. Group tickets for general admission only seats are $7 (10 to 19 people), and $5 for groups of 20 or more. Additionally, all military personnel (with proper ID) can receive a complimentary ticket for all Torero home football games.
SERIES RECORD: This is the 7th meeting between USD and WNMU. The Toreros own a 6-0 series lead with victories in each of the last six seasons. All six contests have been USD's home opener (27-0 in 2016; 45-21 in 2015; 23-17 in 2014; 38-35 in 2013; 34-27 in 2012; 30-10 in 2011). In last year's contest the Toreros won 27-0 with senior running back Jonah Hodges rushing for 106 yards and two scores (2 & 31 yards), and the defense paced by DE Jonathan Petersen with two sacks, three tackles for loss, and two quarterback hurries.
LIVE STREAM: Saturday's contest will be streamed live at usdtoreros.com with Jack Cronin (@JackCroninPXP) providing the play-by-play call. Live stats are also available.
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros head to Davis, California on Saturday, September 9th, to take on the UC Davis Aggies in a 6:05 p.m. contest at Aggie Stadium(capacity: 10,849). UC Davis opens up their 2017 slate on the road this Saturday in San Diego against the SDSU Aztecs. The Aggies were 3-8 in 2016 (2-6 Big Sky, t-10th).
PFL SCHEDULE FOR OPENING WEEK: (Aug. 31) Kentucky Christian at Morehead State, Methodist at Campbell, Jacksonville at Mercer. (Sept. 2) Valparaiso at Montana, Dayton at Robert Morris, Marist at Bucknell, Stetson at Sacred Heart, Butler at Illinois State, Brevard at Davidson, South Dakota at Drake. (PFL teams in Bold).
2017 PFL COACHES POLL: For the seventh straight year the Toreros were picked to finish first in the PFL Preseason Coaches Poll. The Toreros, who finished with a final national ranking of 19th in 2016, received nine first-place votes and a lone second-place vote to finish with 99 of the maximum 100 points possible. Dayton earned two first-place votes and eight second-place votes, finishing with 92 points. A group of four teams - separated by just seven points - were closely bunched behind the leading duo. Marist was picked to finish third with 69 points, followed by Drake in fourth place with 67 points. Campbell and Jacksonville were picked to finished tied for fifth with 62 points each. Behind the top six were Butler (49), Morehead State (42), Stetson (29), Valparaiso (24) and Davidson (10).
* USD Football begins its 55th season of play, and 25th season as a member of the Pioneer Football League... San Diego is second for most PFL titles with eight (Dayton leads with 12)... The Toreros have won five of the past six PFL championships (2016, 2015c, 2014, 2012c, 2011c) and eight overall when adding in titles from 2007c, 2006, 2005.
* USD Football will host tailgates prior to each home game this season... With all five games kicking off at 2:00 p.m., the tailgates will begin at 12 noon up at the Vista Parking lot... This week will be a slider buffet and drinks for $20 per person and head coach Dale Lindsey will address the group at 12:45 pm. To register in advance contact the USD Development office at 619.260.5917.
* Over the past four years under head coach Dale Lindsey's watch, the Toreros are 22-2 overall in home games at Torero Stadium, including a perfect 5-0 mark this past season. Coach Lindsey has yet to drop a home PFL contest in four seasons (16-0 record).
* Torero players have selected senior right tackle Miles McArdle (Napa, Calif.) and senior defensive end Jonathan Peterson (Poway, Calif.) as its 2017 team captains.
* The 2017 Toreros return 12 starters (7 or more starts) from last year's 10-2 squad that won the PFL Championship and earned the school's and league's first-ever postseason victory in the FCS Playoffs... The eight offensive players include Jake Arlotti (RG, 6-2, 285, RS-Sr.), Daniel Cooney (LT, 6-8, 315, RS-Jr.), Ross Dwelley (TE, 6-5, 240, Sr.), Joe Hurney (C, 6-1, 280, Sr.), Anthony Lawrence (QB, 6-1, 195, RS-Jr.), Miles McArdle (RT, 6-3, 283, Sr.), Justin Priest (WR, 6-2, 195, Sr.) and Trevor Provencio (LG, 6-1, 315, RS-Jr.). The four defensive players include Ray Clark (SAF, 5-11, 195, Sr.), Colton Giorgi (SAF, 6-1, 210, Sr.), Max Michaels (NB, 5-9, 195, Sr.) and Jonathan Peterson (DE, 6-1, 230, Sr.).
* Three Toreros have received prestigious preseason recognition... Junior QB Anthony Lawrence is on the STATS FCS Walter Payton Award Watch List that is given to the top FCS player at the end of the year... Junior left tackle Daniel Cooney was named to the STATS FCS All-America Second Team and senior DE Jonathan Petersen was named to the STATS FCS All-America Third Team.
* Over the past 12 seasons (2005-2016) the Toreros have combined for an overall record of 101-34 (74.8 winning percentage), and a PFL mark of 67-15 (81.7 winning percentage)... USD's overall home record on Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium since the start of the 2005 campaign is 62-10 (86.1 winning percentage)... Including the last five home wins of the 2004 campaign, the Toreros strung together a school record 28 straight home victories (2004-2008).
* Key losses from last year's 10-2 club include six players that garnered All-PFL honors - Jamal Agnew, CB - All-PFL 1st Team * 5th Round Draft Pick by Detroit Lions * USD career leader with 59 passes defended; Devyn Bryant, CB - All-PFL 2nd Team * Led team with 16 passes defended * Ranked 8th on team with 31 tackles; Nic Henson, LB - All-PFL 1st Team * Ranked second on team with 65 tackles; Tevin Heyward, FB - All-PFL First Team; Jonah Hodges, RB - FCS All-America Second Team * PFL Offensive Player of the Year * 1,454 rushing yards, 18 rushing TDs * Playing in CFL with Montreal Alouettes; Brian Riley, WR - All-PFL First Team * Totaled 54 receptions for 986 yards and 7 touchdowns * Signed free agent contract with Indianapolis Colts.
* 40 Toreros were selected to the 2016 Pioneer Football Honor Roll, while six Toreros made it onto the 24th annual Academic All-PFL Squad - senior CB Devyn Bryant (San Diego, Calif., 3.54 GPA, Mechanical Engineering) and junior NB Max Michaels (Poway, Calif., 3.93 GPA, Accountancy) were named to the 1st team for the second consecutive year. They were joined on the first team by sophomore QB Anthony Lawrence (La Mesa, Calif., 3.59 GPA, Accountancy) and junior LB Alec Moreno (Poway, Calif., 3.67 GPA, Accountancy). Selected to the second team were junior WR Justin Priest (El Dorado Hills, Calif., 3.39 GPA, Finance) and sophomore DL Connor Spencer (Boulder, Colo., 3.68 GPA, Electrical Engineering).
* This week's opponent, Western New Mexico University, is an NCAA Division II scholarship program from Silver City, New Mexico.They are in their second season as a member of the Lone Star Conference. Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator Adam Clark enters his 8th season (29-47 record). Last season WNMU went 3-8 last year and 3-6 in the LSC with victories against Oklahoma Panhandle State, UT Permian Basin and Angelo State with two of the wins coming at home. Redshirt senior QB Javia Hall turned in a solid first year in 2016 as he led the team completing 245-425 passes for 2,939 yards and 24 touchdowns. He also rushed 86 times for 113 yards and two scores. Redshirt senior LB Dominic Barry paced the defense with 103 total tackles, 39 solo, along with 7.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, four passes broken up, five quarterback hurries and two forced fumbles. This year's roster includes approximately 10 players are from San Diego County and around 25 players from the Southern California region.
Men's Tennis: Sweep
San Diego defeat Pepperdine 4-0
Softball: The Win
Toreros defeat Saint Mary's in weekend series
Men's Basketball: Tuber
Coach Scholl introduces "Tuber" - the on campus Torero Uber
Men's Basketball: Barista Scholl
Coach Scholl gets students ready for class by helping out at Aromas Cafe
Football: Pro Day
Toreros submit their resumes to the NFL scouts
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics