|Brian Fogarty PFL Classic|
|Saturday||San Diego vs. Butler||2 p.m.||Tickets||Live Video||Mighty 1090||Live Stats|
|Plan Ahead For Your Trip to Torero Stadium|
|Noon||» Torero Football Club Pregame Tailgate (Vista Parking Lot)|
|12:30 p.m.||» Gates / Tickets / Concessions Open|
|» USD Faculty and Staff Pregame Tailgate (Torero Stadium, East End Zone)|
|» Torero Program Board Pregame Concert (featuring Seeb)|
|» Coca-Cola Zero Sugar Tour (Eagan Plaza)|
|» In-Stadium DJ Begins Pregame Set (DJ Swish)|
|1 p.m.||» Mighty 1090 Pregame Show Begins|
|1:57 p.m.||» Coin Toss with Brian Fogarty|
|1:58 p.m.||» National Anthem (by USD graduate student, Hillary Erbland)|
|2 p.m.||» Kickoff|
GAME #4: The USD Toreros (1-2), under the direction of fifth year head coach Dale Lindsey, return to Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium on Saturday, September 23rd, to open up Pioneer Football League play against the Butler Bulldogs (2-1). Game time is slated for 2:00 p.m. and airs on The Mighty 1090AM with Jack Cronin calling the action. There will be a one hour pregame show on The Mighty 1090 leading up to kickoff.
BRIAN FOGARTY PFL CLASSIC: Saturday's game is being billed as the Brian Fogarty PFL Classic, to honor USD's former head football coach who recently retired from USD after 34+ years of service. Beginning with this season's PFL home opener against Butler University on September 23rd, every PFL home opener at Torero Stadium in subsequent years will be billed the Brian Fogarty PFL Classic. Brian Fogarty became USD's ninth head coach for Torero football in 1983 and he would stay on in that role for thirteen seasons. Following the 1995 season he would step away as the program's all-time winningest coach with 71 career victories before moving into athletics development. He strung together eight straight winning seasons between 1986 and 1994, and during a four-year run beginning in 1989 compiled a 28-9 record. In 1993 he guided the Toreros into the Pioneer Football League and the current 2017 season marks the 25th year for the PFL -- the nation's only non-scholarship, football-only NCAA Football Championship Subdivision conference. Over this 25-year span USD has won eight PFL titles and enter this season having won three straight championships. Along with his 21+ years of service in athletics development, Brian has served the university and athletic department with amazing distinction. He has made a positive impact on thousands of USD student-athletes, staff members, alumni and friends.
FOOTBALL TICKETS: USD offers some outstanding packages for its Torero fans for the five regular season games. All season tickets are located on the south side of the stadium- sections 112-123. An individual season ticket costs $60.00. A USD Faculty/Staff season ticket costs $40.00. USD is excited to offer a new promotion for its recent Torero Graduates (within last 5 years), a season ticket for $40.00. A Family Four Pack (includes two adult and two children season tickets) can be purchased for $180.00. Season tickets can be purchased online, by phone or in-person. USD Faculty/Staff, Recent Graduate and Family Four Pack may only be purchased through the box office, either by phone 619-260-7550 or in-person. Single game ticket prices for football include the following: reserved seating ($15), general admission ($10 adult, $5 high school student or under). USD faculty and staff receive up to four free general admission tickets (available upon request). The Toreros provide an excellent Family Four Pack for $48; this comes with four general admission tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas and one popcorn. Group tickets for general admission only seats are $7 (10 to 19 people), and $5 for groups of 20 or more. Additionally, all military personnel (with proper ID) can receive a complimentary ticket for all Torero home football games.
— USD Toreros (@USDToreros) September 20, 2017
San Diego continues to put in work and is pursuing its 28th consecutive PFL victory at Torero Stadium.
SERIES RECORD: This will be the 23rd meeting between USD and Butler with the Toreros owning a 17-5 series lead. The Toreros have won five straight including last season's 44-10 road win on October 1st. For the game Anthony Lawrence would finish 23-33 for 326 yards and one score. Senior RB Jonah Hodges, on the strength of his 69-yard TD run, would finish with 128 yards on 16 carries to go with two scores. Defensively the Toreros were paced by linebacker Alec Moreno (8 stops) and safety Colton Giorgi (6 stops).
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros close out the month with a road contest at the University of Dayton on Saturday, September 30th. Kickoff is slated for 9:00 a.m. (Pacific).
* USD Football is in its 55th season of play, and 25th season as a member of the Pioneer Football League... San Diego is second for most PFL titles with eight (Dayton leads with 12)... The Toreros have won five of the past six PFL championships (2016, 2015c, 2014, 2012c, 2011c) and eight overall when adding in titles from 2007c, 2006, 2005.
* Under head coach Dale Lindsey's watch, the Toreros are now 23-2 overall in home games at Torero Stadium, including a perfect 5-0 mark this past season. Coach Lindsey has yet to drop a home PFL contest in four seasons (16-0 record). Lindsey, a two-time PFL Coach of the Year and two-time FCS Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year candidate, is 37-12 overall (75.5 winning percentage). Beginning this Friday, September 22nd, Coach Lindsey will have a weekly radio spot every Friday at 8:50 a.m. (Pacific) on the Dan Sileo Show on The Mighty 1090AM.
* The Toreros enter Saturday's game riding a 27-game PFL home winning streak... USD's last league loss at Torero Stadium came on October 9, 2010 to the Dayton Flyers by the score of 21-20.
* USD Football will host tailgates prior to each home game this season... With all home games kicking off at 2:00 p.m., the tailgates will begin at 12 noon up at the Vista Parking lot.
* PFL Standings: Marist (1-0 PFL, 2-1), Butler (2-1), Davidson (2-1), Jacksonville (1-1), Campbell (1-2), Dayton (1-2), Drake (1-2), Morehead State (1-2), San Diego (1-2), Valparaiso (1-2), Stetson (0-1 PFL, 0-3). Schedule for Sept. 23rd: Dayton at Morehead State, Valparaiso at Drake, Butler at San Diego, Campbell at Stetson, Jacksonville at Marist.
* This past Saturday the Toreros dropped a hard-fought 27-17 decision at Princeton... Two early USD turnovers helped the Tigers jump out to a 14-0 lead early in the second period... USD would close to within 14-10 at the break and 20-17 in the fourth period... Princeton iced the game with a 12-play, 66-yard drive in the closing minutes culminated by a 3-yard touchdown pass... Torero leaders included QB Anthony Lawrence (27-42, 293 yards, 1 TD), WR Justin Priest (11 receptions for 142 yards, 1 TD) and LB Kim Mahoney (10 tackles)... The 11 catches by Priest were a personal-best and tied for 2nd most all-time in a game for Torero history.
* Torero players have selected senior right tackle Miles McArdle (Napa, Calif.) and senior defensive end Jonathan Peterson (Poway, Calif.) as its 2017 team captains.
* USD had a league-high seven players named to the preseason All-PFL team. Senior defensive end Jonathan Petersen (Poway, Calif.) and senior offensive tackle Miles McArdle (Napa, Calif.) were selected for the second consecutive year. Joining them on this year's preseason team are redshirt junior QB Anthony Lawrence (La Mesa, California), senior TE Ross Dwelley (El Dorado Hills, Calif.), senior offensive center Joe Hurney (Charlotte, North Carolina), redshirt junior offensive tackle Daniel Cooney (Western Springs, Illinois) and senior safety Ray Clark (Brentwood, California).
* For the seventh straight year the Toreros were picked to finish first in the PFL Preseason Coaches Poll. The Toreros, who finished with a final national ranking of 19th in 2016, received nine first-place votes and a lone second-place vote to finish with 99 of the maximum 100 points possible. Dayton earned two first-place votes and eight second-place votes, finishing with 92 points. A group of four teams - separated by just seven points - were closely bunched behind the leading duo. Marist was picked to finish third with 69 points, followed by Drake in fourth place with 67 points. Campbell and Jacksonville were picked to finished tied for fifth with 62 points each. Behind the top six were Butler (49), Morehead State (42), Stetson (29), Valparaiso (24) and Davidson (10).
* Three Toreros have received prestigious preseason recognition... Junior QB Anthony Lawrence is on the STATS FCS Walter Payton Award Watch List that is given to the top FCS player at the end of the year... Junior left tackle Daniel Cooney was named to the STATS FCS All-America Second Team and senior DE Jonathan Petersen was named to the STATS FCS All-America Third Team.
* Senior DE Jonathan Petersen is closing in on the Torero career record for quarterback sacks... With 3.5 sacks this season (1.17 per game, 2nd in PFL), he now owns 29 career sacks and needs 6.5 more to surpass Torero record holder Eric Bakhtiari (35, 2004-2007). Petersen ranks third among PFL players in tackles for loss at 2.17 per contest.
* Freshman running back Emilio Martinez (Salinas, Calif.) ranks first among PFL players in kickoff returns (27.0 yards per return) and fourth in rushing (68.0 yards per game).
* Over the past 12 seasons (2005-2016) the Toreros have combined for an overall record of 101-34 (74.8 winning percentage), and a PFL mark of 67-15 (81.7 winning percentage)... USD's overall home record on Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium since the start of the 2005 campaign is 62-10 (86.1 winning percentage)... Including the last five home wins of the 2004 campaign, the Toreros strung together a school record 28 straight home victories (2004-2008).
* Former Torero Jamal Agnew (San Diego, Calif.), now on the active roster for the Detroit Lions, electrified an ESPN national audience on Monday Night Football (September 18th) when he returned a fourth quarter punt against the New York Giants for 88 yards and a touchdown. The return came at a crucial moment for the Lions, which were leading 17-10 at the time, extending their lead to two touchdowns, 24-10, and the game's final score. He was named the NFC Special Teams Player of teh Week. Detroit is off to a 2-0 start.
* This week's opponent, Butler University (2-1), comes to town riding a 2-game winning streak... After opening the year with a 45-0 road loss at Illinois State, Butler won at Franklin (43-24), and also its home opener this past Saturday over Taylor, 27-21... Quarterback Will Marty's 1-yard dive with seven seconds to go gave the Bulldogs the victory... For the game Marty completed 32-of-48 passes for 239 yards and one score... Receiver Nick Weaver pulled down 8 balls for 64 yards... Defensively, senior LB Ethan Brunhofer tallied 8 stops... Three-game stat leaders include Marty (61-for-101, 593 yards, 1 TD), WR Pace Temple (14 catches for 214 yards, 1 TD) and DB Isaak Newhouse (28 tackles, 20 solo)... Head Coach Jeff Voris is in his 12th season and owns an overall mark of 66-61.
Building a Home in Mexico
One day, seven student-athletes, impact for a lifetime
Baseball: Final Series
Toreros end their season against No. 2 Oregon State
Celebration of Excellence Recap
Toreros dress to impress for the end of year banquet
San Diego Athletics' staff makes home made version of Run DMC's hit song
USD Athletes Lip Sync
12 sports teams show off some skills in a new genre
USD Athletics Blooper Reel
What it sometimes takes to get that perfect shot
All Sport Highlights 2017-18
17 sports - infinite highlights
Baseball: Day in the Life with Jay Schuyler
The real-life baseball experience
Inside look at WCC competition
Men's Tennis: Sweep
San Diego defeat Pepperdine 4-0
Softball: The Win
Toreros defeat Saint Mary's in weekend series
Men's Basketball: Tuber
Coach Scholl introduces "Tuber" - the on campus Torero Uber
Men's Basketball: Barista Scholl
Coach Scholl gets students ready for class by helping out at Aromas Cafe
Football: Pro Day
Toreros submit their resumes to the NFL scouts
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics