GAME #3: The USD Toreros (1-1), under the direction of third year head coach Dale Lindsey, open up defense of their 2014 PFL title with a road game against the Valparaiso Crusaders (0-2) this coming Saturday, September 26th. Valpo's homecoming game is slated for 10:30 a.m. (Pacific) from Brown Field (5, 000) in Valparaiso, Indiana.
SERIES RECORD: This will be the 23rd meeting between USD and Valparaiso with the Toreros owning a 17-5 series advantage... USD has won 11 straight meetings including last year's 32-27 victory in San Diego on November 15th.
WEBCAST: Saturday's contest will be streamed live by Valparaiso (Todd Ickow & Dave Huseman). Live video, listen and stats links can be found at usdtoreros.com and valpoathletics.com. The video feed will be broadcast on ESPN3.com (you'll need to login thru your cable service provider).
COACH TO CURE MD CELEBRATES EIGHTH SEASON FOR SEPT. 26TH GAMES: For the eighth year in a row, football coaches nationwide will band together for the Coach to Cure MD program, which will be held during games on Saturday, September 26. The annual effort has raised more than $1.25 million to battle Duchenne muscular dystrophy. On Saturday, September 26, USD head coach Dale Lindsey along with other American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) members will wear a Coach to Cure MD logo patch on the sidelines. College football fans will be asked to donate to research projects supported by Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy (PPMD), the largest nonprofit organization in the U.S. to focus solely on Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Football fans can donate to Duchenne muscular dystrophy research by either going on-line to www.CoachtoCureMD.org or by texting the word CURE to 90999 (a $5 donation will automatically be added to your next phone bill).
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros return to Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium on Saturday, October 3rd, with a 1:00 p.m. PFL contest against Marist College. USD leads the all-time series 10-0 including last year's 20-16 win at Marist. Five of the last six outcomes have been decided by 7 points or less - 2014 (20-16), 2013 (35-33), 2011 (13-7), 2010 (14-10) and 2009 (17-10).
2015 PFL STANDINGS (as of Sept. 22nd): Dayton (2-0), Butler (2-1), Campbell (2-1), San Diego (1-1), Stetson (1-1), Drake (1-2), Marist (1-2), Morehead State (1-2), Davidson (0-2), Valparaiso (0-2), #Jacksonville (2-0) - Jacksonville is ineligible for the PFL regular-season title and automatic bid in 2015 due to league-imposed penalities.
PFL SCHEDULE FOR SEPT. 26TH: Campbell at Butler, Jacksonville at Marist, Davidson at Morehead State, San Diego at Valparaiso, Stetson at Drake, Kennesaw State at Dayton.
2015 PFL COACHES POLL: For the fourth straight year the Toreros were picked to finish first in the PFL Preseason Coaches Poll. USD received seven of a possible 10 first-place votes and 89 of a maximum 100 points. The Toreros were followed by Dayton (87 points), Drake (86), Campbell (71), Butler (59), Stetson (54), Marist (50), Morehead State (40), Valparaiso (37) and Davidson (22). Jacksonville not included in preseason poll due to league penalty. The PFL will feature 11 teams each playing an eight-game schedule to determine the league champion and recipient of the automatic bid to the 2015 NCAA FCS Championship.
* USD Football is in its 53rd season of play, and 23rd season as a member of the Pioneer Football League... San Diego is tied for second with Drake for most PFL titles with six (Dayton leads with 11)... The Toreros have won three of the past four PFL championships (2014, 2012, 2011).... USD is 13-9 overall in PFL openers, and 7-9 in PFL openers that were on the road... USD enters Saturday's game having won a league-best seven straight PFL games.
* The Torero players have selected redshirt senior fullback Chris Campano (San Diego, Calif./Scripps Ranch HS) and redshirt senior offensive guard Jeff Starr (Norwalk, CT/Canterbury Prep) as 2015 team captains... Co-captains for each game will be chosen weekly.
* Junior cornerback Jamal Agnew (San Diego, Calif. / Point Loma HS) led all FCS players in 2014 in passes defended (2.1 average)... He knocked down 19 pass attempts and collected four interceptions. Thru two games this season, he now owns career numbers of 29 pass break-ups (school record is 35 by Darryl Jackson, 1987-1990) and 7 interceptions (school record is 15 by Al-Rilwan Adeyemi and Kyle Slusser)... His current 2.5 passes defended average ranks first among PFL players.
* Redshirt sophomore TE Ross Dwelley (El Dorado Hills, Calif.) ranks second in the PFL in receptions per game (7.5) and third in receiving yards per game (86.5)... Through two games Dwelley has a team-best 15 receptions for 173 yards and one touchdown.
* This week's opponent, Valparaiso, is coming off an 86-0 win over College of Faith (Ark.) - a game that does not count on their record or in their team stats... College of Faith is a member of the American Small College Athletic Association (ASCAA)... Nine Crusader touchdowns came on the ground with Jake Hutson rushing for four scores... The Crusaders are 0-2 on the season after losses to Eastern Kentucky (52-10; Sept. 5th) and Sacred Heart (56-3; Sept. 12th)... Valparaiso does not have a rushing touchdown this season... Linebacker Alex Green brings a team-best 16 tackles and two tackles for loss into PFL action.
* Redshirt freshman QB Anthony Lawrence made the most of his first collegiate start by completing 20-of-34 passes for 254 yards and four touchdowns in USD's 45-21 win over Western New Mexico (Sept. 12th)... His main target on the night was tight end Ross Dwelley who hauled in 10 balls for 123 yards and one score. Brian Riley caught five balls for 115 yards with touchdown receptions of 37 and 38 yards... USD also had a balanced ground attack with Jereke Armstrong rushing for a career-best 109 yards on 14 carries... He found the end zone twice on runs of 24 yards (1st quarter) and 54 yards (4th quarter)... Running mate Blake Martin turned in a solid performance as well with 70 yards on 13 carries... USD's other scoring came on a Justin Priest 13-yard TD reception from Lawrence early in the fourth period, and a 27-yard field goal from sophomore kicker Daniel McManus right before halftime.
* Over the past 10 seasons (2005-2014) the Toreros have combined for an overall record of 83-30 (73.5 winning percentage), and PFL mark of 52-14 (78.8 winning percentage)... USD's overall home record on Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium since the start of the 2005 campaign is 51-10 (83.6 winning percentage)... Including the last five home wins of the 2004 campaign, the Toreros strung together a school record 28 straight home victories (2004-2008).
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics