GAME #7: The USD Toreros (4-2, 3-0 PFL), under the direction of fifth year head coach Dale Lindsey, head to the state of Florida to take on the Jacksonville Dolphins (4-2, 2-1 PFL) on Saturday, October 21st. Game time is 9:00 a.m. from D.B. Milne Field (5,000 capacity). The game will be streamed live on ESPN3 and Jack Cronin's play-by-play call can be heard on the ESPN 1700AM radio dial.
SERIES RECORD: This is the 10th meeting between USD and Jacksonville with the Toreros owning a 5-4 advantage... The last meeting came on September 13, 2014 at Jacksonville with the Dolphins earning a 35-18 win after gaining 447 yards of total offense, while forcing four Torero turnovers and holding USD to 281 yards. In games played in Jacksonville, USD is 2-3 overall.
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros head back to Florida to take on the Stetson Hatters on October 28th (10:00 a.m. Pacific).
PFL STANDINGS & UPCOMING SCHEDULE: Campbell (4-0 PFL, 5-2), San Diego (3-0, 4-2), Jacksonville (2-1, 4-2), Drake (2-1, 3-3), Butler (2-2, 4-3), Valparaiso (2-2, 3-4), Marist (2-2, 3-4), Morehead State (1-3, 2-5), Dayton (1-3, 2-5), Stetson (1-3, 2-5), Davidson (0-3, 2-4). OCT. 21ST GAMES: San Diego at Jacksonville, Campbell at Butler, Dayton at Davidson, Drake at Marist, Stetson at Morehead State.
PETERSEN NAMED PFL PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Senior defensive end Jonathan Petersen (Poway, Calif.) has been named the Pioneer Football League Defensive Player of the Week for his outstanding performance against Morehead State. The senior captain was strikingly efficient with three sacks, including two strip sacks, as San Diego rolled to a 56-27 PFL victory against the Eagles. He was also an Honorable Mention pick for the STATS FCS National Player of the Week for defense. Petersen finished the day with three tackles, each for a sack and one of the fumbles he forced was recovered by San Diego and later turned into a touchdown. Petersen had two sacks on one drive in the second quarter, the second of the pair resulting in a forced fumble at the MSU 29-yard line. Early in the third quarter, his third sack disrupted a Morehead State drive on first-and goal and the Eagles would not score. Petersen ranks first amongst all FCS players in both sacks (9 total; 1.5 per game) and forced fumbles (5; 0.83 per game). He is tied for second amongst FCS players in tackles for loss (12.5 total; 2.08 per game). With 34.5 career sacks, he will break USD’s all-time record of 35 held by Eric Bakhtiari (2004-2007) with his next sack. Petersen entered the 2016 as USD’s all-time leader in forced fumbles with 10. Already with five this season, he has extended that total to 15.
2017 PFL PRESEASON COACHES POLL: For the seventh straight year the Toreros were picked to finish first in the PFL Preseason Coaches Poll. The Toreros, who finished with a final national ranking of 19th in 2016, received nine first-place votes and a lone second-place vote to finish with 99 of the maximum 100 points possible. Dayton earned two first-place votes and eight second-place votes, finishing with 92 points. A group of four teams - separated by just seven points - were closely bunched behind the leading duo. Marist was picked to finish third with 69 points, followed by Drake in fourth place with 67 points. Campbell and Jacksonville were picked to finished tied for fifth with 62 points each. Behind the top six were Butler (49), Morehead State (42), Stetson (29), Valparaiso (24) and Davidson (10).
* USD Football is in its 55th season of play, and 25th season as a member of the Pioneer Football League... San Diego is second for most PFL titles with eight (Dayton leads with 12)... The Toreros have won five of the past six PFL championships (2016, 2015c, 2014, 2012c, 2011c) and eight overall when adding in titles from 2007c, 2006, 2005.
* Under head coach Dale Lindsey's watch, the Toreros are now 25-2 overall in home games at Torero Stadium, including a perfect 5-0 mark this past season. Coach Lindsey has yet to drop a home PFL contest in four-plus seasons (18-0 record) and the Toreros have now won 29 straight league games and a PFL record 16 consecutive PFL contests. Lindsey, a two-time PFL Coach of the Year and two-time FCS Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year candidate, is 40-12 overall (.769 winning percentage). Coach Lindsey has a weekly radio spot every Friday at 8:50 a.m. (Pacific) on the Dan Sileo Show on The Mighty 1090AM.
*Anthony Lawrence was named the PFL Co-Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts following the Butler game. Lawrence's five touchdowns tied a career-high (10/22/16 vs. Valparaiso). He received more good news when he was selected a Amateur Star of the Month for September by the San Diego Hall of Champions. For the five games in September he completed 103-165 passes (62.4%) for 1,271 yards and 10 touchdowns.
* Torero players have selected senior right tackle Miles McArdle (Napa, Calif.) and senior defensive end Jonathan Peterson (Poway, Calif.) as its 2017 team captains.
* USD had a league-high seven players named to the preseason All-PFL team. Senior defensive end Jonathan Petersen (Poway, Calif.) and senior offensive tackle Miles McArdle (Napa, Calif.) were selected for the second consecutive year. Joining them on this year's preseason team are redshirt junior QB Anthony Lawrence (La Mesa, California), senior TE Ross Dwelley (El Dorado Hills, Calif.), senior offensive center Joe Hurney (Charlotte, North Carolina), redshirt junior offensive tackle Daniel Cooney (Western Springs, Illinois) and senior safety Ray Clark (Brentwood, California).
* Three Toreros have received prestigious preseason recognition... Junior QB Anthony Lawrence is on the STATS FCS Walter Payton Award Watch List that is given to the top FCS player at the end of the year... Junior left tackle Daniel Cooney was named to the STATS FCS All-America Second Team and senior DE Jonathan Petersen was named to the STATS FCS All-America Third Team.
* From the more than 1.1 million high school football players across the country, the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF) announced the names of five outstanding individuals as the recipients of the 2017 NFF Chapter Scholar-Athlete Awards. USD freshman fullback Brandon Micale (Arvada, CO) was selected for the west region for this honor. He will be a guest in New York on Dec. 5 for the awards luncheon, and the five 2017 recipients will attend the 60th NFF Annual Awards Dinner, also at the New York Hilton Midtown, as honored guests where they will meet many of the game’s greatest legends and current college stars.
* Senior LB Max Michaels (Poway, Calif.) is a semifinalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, announced by the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame. He is one of 181 semi-finalists for the award that recognizes an individual as the absolute best football scholar-athlete in the nation. Michaels carries a 3.93 grade-point average in his major of Accountancy.
* With three sacks and two forced fumbles against Morehead State, senior DE Jonathan Petersen is closing in on the Torero career record for quarterback sacks... With 9.0 sacks this season (1.5 per game, 1st in FCS), he now owns 34.5 career sacks and needs just one more to surpass Torero record holder Eric Bakhtiari (35, 2004-2007). Petersen is currently tied for second with Mario Kurn (??). Amongst FCS players, Petersen also ranks first in tackles for loss (12.5; 2.08) and is tied for second in forced fumbles (0.83). With 15 career forced fumbles, Petersen is USD's all-time leader in that category.
* Freshman running back Emilio Martinez (Salinas, Calif.) ranks first among PFL players in all-purpose yards per game (142.5; #9 in FCS). He is fourth in the PFL in rushing yards per game (91.7; #23 FCS) and kickoff returns (23.8).
* Senior wide receiver Justin Priest (Sacramento, Calif.) continues his strong season by ranking among the best in the FCS - tied for 13th in touchdown receptions (6), 20th in receiving yards per game (91.5), 21st in receiving yards (549) and 28th in receptions per game (5.8).
* Over the past 12 seasons (2005-2016) the Toreros have combined for an overall record of 101-34 (74.8 winning percentage), and a PFL mark of 67-15 (81.7 winning percentage)... USD's overall home record on Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium since the start of the 2005 campaign is 62-10 (86.1 winning percentage)... Including the last five home wins of the 2004 campaign, the Toreros strung together a school record 28 straight home victories (2004-2008).
* Former Torero Jamal Agnew (San Diego, Calif.), now on the active roster for the Detroit Lions, electrified an ESPN national audience on Monday Night Football (September 18th) when he returned a fourth quarter punt against the New York Giants for 88 yards and a touchdown. The return came at a crucial moment for the Lions, which were leading 17-10 at the time, extending their lead to two touchdowns, 24-10, and the game's final score. He was named the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week. On Sunday (Oct. 15) he did it again, this time for 74 yards against the New Orlean Saints, becoming just the 5th Lions player to return two punts for a touchdonw in the same season.
* This week's opponent, the Jacksonville Dolphins, have a record of 4-2 (2-1 PFL), and are 3-0 in home games... They are coming off a 37-22 road loss to Butler... Jacksonville leads all PFL teams for all games played in scoring offense (36.7), total offense (460.8) and rushing offense (305.8)... Running back Jamal Adjamah leads the team with 395 yards and 4 touchdowns... Quarterback Rylan Wells has 347 yards rushing and 6 touchdowns to go with 876 yards passing and eight touchdown passes... Head Coach Ian Shields is in his second year and owns a record of 9-7 (6-4 PFL)... This marks the third straight game at Jacksonville in the all-time series.
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics