GAME #8: The USD Toreros (5-2, 4-0 PFL), under the direction of fifth year head coach Dale Lindsey, head back to the state of Florida to take on the Stetson Hatters (2-6, 1-4 PFL) on Saturday, October 28th. Game time is 10:00 a.m. (Pacific) from Spec Martin Memorial Stadium. The game will be streamed live on ESPN3 and Ben Higgins fills in for Jack Cronin with the play-by-play call that can be heard on the ESPN 1700AM radio dial.
SERIES RECORD: This is the fifth meeting between USD and Stetson with the Toreros owing a 4-0 series lead... San Diego won last year's home contest on November 12th by the score of 42-7... Two seasons ago in DeLand, Florida the Toreros earned a 47-16 victory.
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros return to San Diego to host the Drake Bulldogs on Saturday, November 4th. Kickoff is slated for 2:00 p.m. at Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium.
PFL STANDINGS & UPCOMING SCHEDULE: San Diego (4-0 PFL, 5-2), Campbell (4-1, 5-3), Drake (3-1, 4-3), Butler (3-2, 5-3), Jacksonville (2-2, 4-3), Valparaiso (2-2, 3-4), Morehead State (2-3, 3-5), Marist (2-3, 3-5), Dayton (2-3, 3-5), Stetson (1-4, 2-6), Davidson (0-4, 2-5). OCT. 28TH GAMES: Butler at Dayton, San Diego at Stetson, Jacksonville at Campbell, Davidson at Drake, Morehead State at Valparaiso. Marist is off this week.
LAWRENCE NAMED PFL OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Junior quarterback Anthony Lawrence (La Mesa, Calif.) has been named this week’s Pioneer Football League Offensive Player of the Week following his performance in the team’s 63-10 win at Jacksonville on Saturday. Lawrence threw a career-high six touchdowns in leading USD to its 17th consecutive PFL victory. He needed only three quarters to toss his six scores on 18-of-24 passing for 268 yards. Lawrence found three wide receivers for his six touchdowns, tossing two to each – Nate Loya (24, 32), Ross Dwelley (11, 1) and Justin Priest (20, 28). It was the fifth six touchdowns outing by a FCS quarterback this season and the second by a PFL signal caller in 2017. Lawrence’s 251.3 pass efficiency rating was the ninth best in the FCS this season. In leading the Toreros to a 5-2 overall mark and perfect 4-0 PFL start, Lawrence has completed 133-of-204 passes for 1,677 yards and 19 touchdowns. Among FCS players he ranks in the top-25 in four categories – #8 in pass efficiency rating (164.0), #T10 in passing touchdowns (19), #T12 in points responsible for per game (17.1) and #25 in passing yards per game (239.6). Lawrence also received some recognition by some other organizations – STATS FCS Honorable Mention National Player of the Week; CFPA FCS National Performer of Week 8; College Sports Madness PFL Offensive Player of the Week; and is a nominee for FCS Football Hero of the Week.
PETERSEN ADDED TO BUCK BUCHANAN AWARD WATCH LIST: Senior defensive end Jonathan Petersen (Poway, Calif.) received more good news recently with the announcement that he is one of six players that have been added to the STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award Watch List. The Buchanan Award, first awarded in 1995 and presented to the FCS defensive player of the year, has sent past winners such as Dexter Coakley, Rashean Mathis, Jared Allen, Arthur Moats and Kyle Emanuel on to the NFL. A national panel of over 150 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries will vote on 25 finalists following the regular season. Petersen ranks first amongst all FCS players in forced fumbles (5; 0.71 per game), and is 3rd in sacks (9.0; 1.29) and tied for 5th in tackles for loss (12.5; 1.8). With 34.5 career sacks, he will break USD’s all-time record of 35 held by Eric Bakhtiari (2004-2007) with his next sack. Petersen entered the 2016 campaign as USD’s all-time leader in forced fumbles with 10. Already with five this season, he has extended that total to 15.
* USD Football is in its 55th season of play, and 25th season as a member of the Pioneer Football League... San Diego is second for most PFL titles with eight (Dayton leads with 12)... The Toreros have won five of the past six PFL championships (2016, 2015c, 2014, 2012c, 2011c) and eight overall when adding in titles from 2007c, 2006, 2005.
* Under head coach Dale Lindsey's watch, the Toreros are now 25-2 overall in home games at Torero Stadium, including a perfect 5-0 mark this past season. Coach Lindsey has yet to drop a home PFL contest in four-plus seasons (18-0 record) and the Toreros have now won 29 straight league home games and a PFL record 17 consecutive PFL contests. Lindsey, a two-time PFL Coach of the Year and two-time FCS Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year candidate, is 41-12 overall (77.3 winning percentage). Coach Lindsey has a weekly radio spot every Friday at 8:50 a.m. (Pacific) on the Dan Sileo Show on The Mighty 1090AM.
*Anthony Lawrence earned his second PFL Player of the week honor following the Jacksonville game. He earned his first this season after the Butler game when he was tabbed the PFL Co-Offensive Player of the Week. In the two games combined he tossed 11 touchdowns. He was also selected an Amateur Star of the Month for September by the San Diego Hall of Champions.
* Torero players have selected senior right tackle Miles McArdle (Napa, Calif.) and senior defensive end Jonathan Peterson (Poway, Calif.) as its 2017 team captains. USD had a league-high seven players named to the preseason All-PFL team and Petersen and McArdle were selected for the second consecutive year. Joining them on this year's preseason team are QB Anthony Lawrence (La Mesa, California), TE Ross Dwelley (El Dorado Hills, Calif.), center Joe Hurney (Charlotte, North Carolina), offensive tackle Daniel Cooney (Western Springs, Illinois) and safety Ray Clark (Brentwood, California).
* Three Toreros have received prestigious preseason recognition... Junior QB Anthony Lawrence is on the STATS FCS Walter Payton Award Watch List that is given to the top FCS player at the end of the year... Junior left tackle Daniel Cooney was named to the STATS FCS All-America Second Team and senior DE Jonathan Petersen was named to the STATS FCS All-America Third Team.
* From the more than 1.1 million high school football players across the country, the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF) announced the names of five outstanding individuals as the recipients of the 2017 NFF Chapter Scholar-Athlete Awards. USD freshman fullback Brandon Micale (Arvada, CO) was selected for the west region for this honor. He will be a guest in New York on Dec. 5 for the awards luncheon, and the five 2017 recipients will attend the 60th NFF Annual Awards Dinner, also at the New York Hilton Midtown, as honored guests where they will meet many of the game’s greatest legends and current college stars.
* Senior LB Max Michaels (Poway, Calif.) is a semifinalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, announced by the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame. He is one of 181 semi-finalists for the award that recognizes an individual as the absolute best football scholar-athlete in the nation. Michaels carries a 3.93 grade-point average in his major of Accountancy.
* Freshman running back Emilio Martinez (Salinas, Calif.) ranks second among PFL players in all-purpose yards per game (128.6; #20 in FCS) and kickoff returns (23.8; #T36 FCS) . He is fourth in the PFL in total rushing yards (595; #21 FCS).
* Senior receiver Justin Priest (Sacramento, Calif.) continues to rank amongst the best in the FCS - tied for 6th in touchdown receptions (8), 24th in receiving yards per game (87.3), 25th in receiving yards (611) and tied for 30th in receptions per game (5.6).
* Season defensive leaders in total tackles include LB Kim Mahoney (43 tackles, 2 breakups, 2 quarterback hurries, 2 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries), safety Ray Clark (41 tackles, 2 tackles for loss) and NB Max Michaels (38 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 1 interception, 2 breakups, 3 quarterback hurries).
* Senior punter Jack Flatau (Oceanside, Calif.) boomed a personal-best 71 yard punt at Jacksonville, the program's fourth longest punt in history... He punted three times for an average of 55.3 yards... On the season he is averaging 41.1 yards on 25 punts with 11 inside the opponent 20 and four of 50+ yards.
* "Mr. Torero" - Including his four seasons as a wide receiver for the Toreros from 1979-1983, Mike Rish, Senior Offensive Administrative Assistant, is now in his 39th year with the USD football program. Incredibly, he has missed only one game out of a possible 403 games to date during his run... He missed the team's 31-28 road win at UC Santa Barbara during the 1984 season to attend a family wedding... This Saturday's game at Stetson will be his 343rd consecutive game and 403rd overall. An amazing streak.
* Since the start of the 2005 season the Toreros have combined for an overall record of 106-36 (74.6 winning percentage), and a PFL mark of 71-15 (82.5 winning percentage)… USD’s overall home record on Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium during this run is 65-19 (77.4 winning percentage)… Including the last five home wins of the 2004 campaign, the Toreros strung together a school record 28 straight home victories (2004-2008).
* Former Torero Jamal Agnew (San Diego, Calif.), now on the active roster for the Detroit Lions, electrified an ESPN national audience on Monday Night Football (Sept. 18) when he returned a 4th quarter punt against the New York Giants for 88 yards and a TD. The return came at a crucial moment for the Lions, which were leading 17-10 at the time, extending their lead to two touchdowns, 24-10, and the game's final score. He was named the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week. On Sunday (Oct. 15) he did it again, this time for 74 yards against the New Orlean Saints, becoming just the 5th Lions player to return two punts for a TD in the same season.
* This week's opponent, the Stetson Hatters (2-6, 1-4 PFL), are coming off a tough 29-26 road loss at Morehead State... The loss snapped two straight wins over Brown (17-13) and Davidson (28-17)... Leaders include QB Colin McGovern (188-303 for 1,797 yards & 6 TDs), WR Justin Jordan (40-395, 3 TDs), RB Bryce Blackmon (270 yards, 3 TDs), and OLB Jeb Boudreaux (79 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, 8 QB hurries and 3 forced fumbles)... Head Coach Roger Hughes is in his 6th year at the helm (16-37)... Prior to taking on the Stetson job he was head coach at Princeton for ten seasons.
Baseball: Final Series
Toreros end their season against No. 2 Oregon State
Celebration of Excellence Recap
Toreros dress to impress for the end of year banquet
San Diego Athletics' staff makes home made version of Run DMC's hit song
USD Athletes Lip Sync
12 sports teams show off some skills in a new genre
USD Athletics Blooper Reel
What it sometimes takes to get that perfect shot
All Sport Highlights 2017-18
17 sports - infinite highlights
Baseball: Day in the Life with Jay Schuyler
The real-life baseball experience
Inside look at WCC competition
Men's Tennis: Sweep
San Diego defeat Pepperdine 4-0
Softball: The Win
Toreros defeat Saint Mary's in weekend series
Men's Basketball: Tuber
Coach Scholl introduces "Tuber" - the on campus Torero Uber
Men's Basketball: Barista Scholl
Coach Scholl gets students ready for class by helping out at Aromas Cafe
Football: Pro Day
Toreros submit their resumes to the NFL scouts
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics