GAME #8: The USD Toreros (6-1, 5-0 PFL), under the direction of fourth year head coach Dale Lindsey, head to Poughkeepsie, New York for a key PFL match-up with the Marist Red Foxes (4-3, 4-0 PFL). Game time on Saturday, October 29th, is slated for 10:05 a.m. (Pacific) at Tenney Stadium (5,000 capacity).
SERIES RECORD: This will be the 12th meeting between USD and Marist with the Toreros owning a perfect 11-0 mark against the Red Foxes... In last season's 30-27 win at Torero Stadium, USD overcame a 20-7 deficit in the 2nd quarter... Yogi Hale's 30-yard interception return for a TD in the 3rd period knotted the score at 20-all... Six of the last seven meetings have been decided by seven points or less - 2015 in San Diego (30-27); 2014 at Marist (20-16); 2013 in San Diego (35-33); 2011 in San Diego (13-7); 2010 at Marist (14-10); and 2009 in San Diego (17-10).
LIVE STREAM: Saturday's football game will be streamed live (subscription fee) at goredfoxes.com with audio (free) also available. Geoff Brault (play-by-play) and Ed Weir (color) will provide the call.
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros open up the month of November with a non-conference international match-up against Universidad De Las Americas Puebla (UDLAP). The game is scheduled to kickoff at 4:00 p.m. at Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium.
PFL RECORDS/SCHEDULE FOR OCTOBER 29th: San Diego (5-0 PFL, 6-1), Marist (4-0, 4-3), Dayton (4-1, 6-2), Jacksonville (2-1, 3-3), Drake (2-2, 3-4), Stetson (2-2, 4-3), Valparaiso (2-3, 3-5), Campbell (1-2, 3-3), Butler (1-4, 3-5), Morehead State (1-4, 2-6), Davidson (0-5, 2-6). PFL Schedule: Stetson at Dayton, San Diego at Marist, Jacksonville at Davidson, Butler at Valparaiso, Campbell at Drake. Off Week: Morehead State.
LAWRENCE CO-PFL OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Sophomore QB Anthony Lawrence (La Mesa, Calif.) was named the Pioneer Football League Co-Offensive Player of the Week after he tossed a personal-best 5 touchdowns in USD's 49-10 home win over Valparaiso this past Saturday... He completed 22-of-32 passes for 301 yards in just over three quarters of action, leaving after his fifth touchdown throw with 14:55 left in the game... His second touchdown pass concluded a drive that saw him attempt a pass on all 10 plays of the drive, and he completed six passes for 89 yards... Lawrence is the third PFL quarterback to pass for five touchdowns... Among all FCS quarterbacks, Lawrence ranks #4 in passing efficiency (170.9 rating) and completion percentage (.688), and #10 in passing touchdowns (16).
TOREROS RANK #1 IN FCS IN TWO TEAM STATISTICS: The Toreros rank No. 1 in the nation for FCS programs in scoring defense (12.9 ppg) and third down conversion percentage (.556).
* USD Football is in its 54th season of play, and 24th season as a member of the Pioneer Football League... San Diego ranks second for most PFL titles with seven (Dayton leads with 12)... The Toreros have won four of the past five PFL championships (2015c, 2014, 2012c, 2011c) and seven overall when adding in titles from 2007c, 2006, 2005.
* Since taking over the program in 2013, head coach Dale Lindsey's has guided the Toreros to a 32-9 overall record (78.0 winning percentage) and 21-2 mark (91.3 winning percentage) at Torero Stadium.
* All three phases of their game were clicking in the team's 49-10 win over Valparaiso on Saturday... Special teams saw Jacob Arnell return a kickoff 52 yards that set up USD's first scoring drive, and Jamal Agnew would return a punt 63 yards for the Toreros second score of the 1st quarter that gave USD a 14-3 lead... QB Anthony Lawrence passed for 301 yards while connecting on five TD passes - Justin Priest (12 yards), Jacob Arnell (5), Brian Riley (17, 8) and Jereke Armstrong (20)... Defensively the Toreros were paced by LB Nic Henson (6 stops), NB Max Michaels (6 tackles, 1 QB hurry), safety Jack Michael (5 tackles) and DE Jonathan Petersen (2.5 tackles for loss, 2 QB hurries, 4 tackles).
* After 7 games the Toreros rank 1st in the PFL in scoring offense (37.1), scoring defense (12.9), rushing defense (105.3), total offense (448.3), pass efficiency (167.3 rating), total defense (279.4), pass defense efficiency (88.5 rating), sacks against (0.14), 3rd down conversions (55.6) and time of possession (33:53). Individuals leading the PFL include Jonah Hodges (102.1 yards rushing per game, 66 points, 11 touchdowns, 163.4 all-purpose yards per game), and Anthony Lawrence (170.9 pass efficiency rating). Other Toreros among the leaders include WR Brian Riley (#2 in receiving yards per game, 95.1; #7 in receptions per game, 4.7), TE Ross Dwelley (#4 in scoring TDs, 7; #8 in scoring, 42 points), Lawrence (#3 in passing average per game, 257.3; #3 in total offense, 260.1), Jamal Agnew (#3 in punt returns, 11.9), Jonathan Petersen (#7 in tackles for loss, 8.5; #9 in sacks, 3.5) and Devyn Bryant (#6 in passes defended, 9).
* The Toreros are also FCS national statistical leaders in other areas - In addition to their #1 ranking in scoring defense (12.9) and 3rd down conversion percentage (55.6), USD is #2 in team passing efficiency defense (88.52) and sacks allowed (0.14), #5 in completion percentage (.676), #6 in time of possession (33:53) and total defense (279.4), #9 in passing efficiency (167.28) and #8 in punt return defense (2.50)... USD is also receiving votes in all three FCS National Polls (STATS, COACHES, HERO SPORTS).
* Along with being named the team captain for 2016, senior corner back Devyn Bryant (San Diego, Calif.) is getting recognition off the field as well... He is a 2016 semifinalist for the National Football Foundation Campbell Trophy Award, given to the nation's top scholar-athlete; for the second straight season Devyn was the team's candidate for the All-State AFCA Good Works Team; and this past summer he was recognized as a 2016 Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar by the staff that produces the publication Diverse: Issues in High Education. Last year's team leader with 5 interceptions, he picked up his 7th career pick against Western New Mexico in this season's opener... He leads this year's defense, and ranks #6 in the PFL, with 9 passes defended (8 breakups, 1 interception).
* Senior RB Jonah Hodges (Santa Cruz, Calif.) is having a big year after he broke his collarbone in last year's opener against SDSU... He returned for the team's final three games in 2015 and finished with 141 yards rushing... During the 2014 campaign he led the team with 1,214 yards rushing (101.2 yards per game) and 6 touchdowns... Thru 7 games this season he has rushed for 715 yards on 111 carries (6.4 yards per carry average; 102.1 yards per game) and 10 touchowns... His 4 rushing TDs against Davidson tied the school record... Among PFL players he ranks first in rushing (102.1), points (66), touchdowns (11), and all-purpose yards (163.4).
* Sophomore QB Anthony Lawrence (La Mesa, CA) gets the starting nod for his 18th straight game... Thru 7 games he has completed 132-1192 passes for 1,801 yards and 16 scores... Last season he was team MVP after completing 188-295 passes for 2,392 yards and 23 touchdowns... He was also named the PFL Offensive Freshman of the Year.
* Lawrence has some outstanding targets to throw to this season led by TE Ross Dwelley (38 catches for 492 yards, 7 TDs), WR Brian Riley (33 catches for 666 yards, 5 TDs, and a team-best 20.2 yards per reception) and RB Jonah Hodges (24 receptions for 297 yards, 1 TD). Lawrence has also received great protection from the Torero offensive line having been sacked only once this season.
* Senior cornerback Jamal Agnew (San Diego, Calif. / Point Loma HS), who led all FCS players two seasons ago (2014) in passes defended (2.1 average), owns career numbers of 43 pass break-ups (school record) and 10 interceptions (school record is 15 by Al-Rilwan Adeyemi and Kyle Slusser).
* Last season junior DE Jonathan Petersen (Poway, Calif.) ranked first in the PFL in tackles for loss (16, -87 yards) and second in sacks (8, -68 yards)... He chipped in with 51 tackles (5th on team) to go with 8 QB hurries and 3 forced fumbles... He got off to a great start in 2016 after recording 2 sacks (-22 yards), 3 tackles for loss (-32 yards), 2 QB hurries, and 5 tackles against WNMU... Thru 7 games he has a team-leading 9 QB hurries to go with 3.5 sacks (-31 yards), 8.5 tackles for loss (-51 yards), 1 blocked kick and 1 forced fumble.
* Torero players selected senior corner back Devyn Bryant (San Diego, Calif.) as the 2016 team captain... Senior WR Brian Riley (Rancho Bernardo, Calif.) and senior RB Jonah Hodges (Santa Cruz, Calif.) are 2016 co-Captains.
* This week's opponent, Marist College, is off to a 4-0 PFL start (4-3 overall) following last week's 31-10 win over Davidson... In the win the Red Foxes totaled 472 yards of offense while limiting the Wildcats to just 242 yards... On the season Marist is led by QB Mike White (125-260 for 1941 yds, 13 TDs), WR Juston Christian (35 for 795 yds, 7 TDs), RB Marcellus Calhoun (389 yds, 3 TDs), FS Wes Beans (45 tackles, 5 interceptions) and LB Willie Barrett (44 stops)... Head Coach Jim Parady, who has guided the Marist football program through nearly a quarter-century of growth, is in his 25th season as the program’s head coach and 26th overall with the Red Foxes... He owns a career record of 128-129-1... In 2013 he guided Marist to the PFL Co-Championship (8-3 overall, 7-1 PFL).
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics