GAME #9: The USD Toreros (6-2, 5-0 PFL), under the direction of fifth year head coach Dale Lindsey, return home to host the Drake Bulldogs (5-3, 4-1 PFL) on Saturday, November 4th. Game time is 2:00 p.m. at Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium. The game will be streamed live on TheW.tv and broadcast on the The Mighty 1090AM with Jack Cronin providing the play-by-play for both. Cronin also will host a one-hour pregame radio show on The Mighty 1090AM from 1:00 to 2:00 pm.
FOOTBALL TICKETS: Single game ticket prices for football include the following: reserved seating ($15), general admission ($10 adult, $5 high school student or under). USD faculty and staff receive up to four free general admission tickets (available upon request). The Toreros provide an excellent Family Four Pack for $48; this comes with four general admission tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas and one popcorn. Group tickets for general admission only seats are $7 (10 to 19 people), and $5 for groups of 20 or more. Additionally, all military personnel (with proper ID) can receive a complimentary ticket for all Torero home football games.
SERIES RECORD: This is the 25th meeting between USD and Drake with the Toreros owning a slim 13-11 advantage... The Toreros have won four straight in the series including last year's 38-7 road win on October 15th... San Diego totaled 467 yards of offense while the Torero defense limited the Bulldogs to just 229 yards of offense, including only 42 yards rushing on the ground.
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros close out their regular-season road schedule on Saturday, November 11th, with a contest at Davidson College (9:00 a.m. Pacific). USD then returns to Torero Stadium to take on the Marist Red Foxes on November 18th (2:00 p.m.).
PFL STANDINGS & UPCOMING SCHEDULE: San Diego (5-0 PFL, 6-2), Drake (4-1, 5-3), Campbell (4-2, 5-4), Jacksonville (3-2, 5-3), Valparaiso (3-2, 4-4), Butler (3-3, 5-4), Dayton (3-3, 4-5), Marist (2-3, 3-5), Morehead State (2-4, 3-6), Stetson (1-5, 2-7), Davidson (0-5, 2-6). NOV. 4TH GAMES: Valparaiso at Jacksonville, Campbell at Davidson, Marist at Dayton, Butler at Stetson, Drake at San Diego.
TOREROS STREAKING: With last Saturday's 48-7 road win at Stetson, the Toreros have now won a record eighteen consecutive Pioneer Football League games... This coming Saturday the Toreros will be searching for their 30th straight home PFL victory.
* USD Football is in its 55th season of play, and 25th season as a member of the Pioneer Football League... San Diego is second for most PFL titles with eight (Dayton leads with 12)... The Toreros have won five of the past six PFL championships (2016, 2015c, 2014, 2012c, 2011c) and eight overall when adding in titles from 2007c, 2006, 2005.
* Under head coach Dale Lindsey's watch, the Toreros are now 25-2 overall in home games at Torero Stadium, including a perfect 3-0 mark this season. Coach Lindsey has yet to drop a home PFL contest in four-plus seasons (18-0 record) and the Toreros have now won 29 straight league home games and a PFL record 18 consecutive PFL contests. Lindsey, a two-time PFL Coach of the Year and two-time FCS Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year candidate, is 42-12 overall (77.7 winning percentage). Coach Lindsey has a weekly radio spot every Friday at 8:50 a.m. (Pacific) on the Dan Sileo Show on The Mighty 1090AM.
*Anthony Lawrence earned his second PFL Player of the week honor following the Jacksonville game. He earned his first award this season after the Butler game when he was tabbed the PFL Co-Offensive Player of the Week. In the two games combined he tossed 11 touchdowns. He was also selected an Amateur Star of the Month for September by the San Diego Hall of Champions.
* Torero players have selected senior right tackle Miles McArdle (Napa, Calif.) and senior defensive end Jonathan Peterson (Poway, Calif.) as its 2017 team captains. USD had a league-high seven players named to the preseason All-PFL team and Petersen and McArdle were selected for the second consecutive year. Joining them on this year's preseason team are QB Anthony Lawrence (La Mesa, California), TE Ross Dwelley (El Dorado Hills, Calif.), center Joe Hurney (Charlotte, North Carolina), offensive tackle Daniel Cooney (Western Springs, Illinois) and safety Ray Clark (Brentwood, California).
* Three Toreros have received prestigious preseason recognition... Junior QB Anthony Lawrence is on the STATS FCS Walter Payton Award Watch List that is given to the top FCS player at the end of the year... Junior left tackle Daniel Cooney was named to the STATS FCS All-America Second Team and senior DE Jonathan Petersen was named to the STATS FCS All-America Third Team.
* From the more than 1.1 million high school football players across the country, the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF) announced the names of five outstanding individuals as the recipients of the 2017 NFF Chapter Scholar-Athlete Awards. USD freshman fullback Brandon Micale (Arvada, CO) was selected for the west region for this honor. He will be a guest in New York on Dec. 5 for the awards luncheon, and the five 2017 recipients will attend the 60th NFF Annual Awards Dinner, also at the New York Hilton Midtown, as honored guests where they will meet many of the game’s greatest legends and current college stars.
* Senior LB Max Michaels (Poway, Calif.) is a semifinalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, announced by the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame. He is one of 181 semi-finalists for the award that recognizes an individual as the absolute best football scholar-athlete in the nation. Michaels carries a 3.95 grade-point average in his major of Accountancy.
* Freshman running back Emilio Martinez (Salinas, Calif.) ranks second among PFL players in all-purpose yards per game (127.9; #17 in FCS) and kickoff returns (23.8; #35 FCS) . He is fourth in the PFL in total rushing yards (682; #18 FCS).
* Senior receiver Justin Priest (Sacramento, Calif.) continues to rank amongst the best in the FCS - tied for 9th in touchdown receptions (8), 22nd in receiving yards (702), 23rd in receiving yards per game (87.8), and tied for 31st in receptions per game (5.5).
* Season defensive leaders in total tackles include LB Kim Mahoney (47 tackles, 2 breakups, 2 quarterback hurries, 2 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries), safety Ray Clark (45 tackles, 3 tackles for loss), NB Max Michaels (44 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 1 interception, 2 breakups, 3 quarterback hurries) and safety Colton Giorgi (44 tackles, 1 fumble recovery).
* Senior punter Jack Flatau (Oceanside, Calif.) boomed a personal-best 71 yard punt at Jacksonville, the program's fourth longest punt in history... He punted three times for an average of 55.3 yards... On the season he is averaging 41.1 yards on 27 punts with 11 inside the opponent 20 and four of 50+ yards.
* "Mr. Torero" - Including his four seasons as a wide receiver for the Toreros from 1979-1983, Mike Rish, Senior Offensive Administrative Assistant, is now in his 39th year with the USD football program. Incredibly, he has missed only one game out of a possible 404 games to date during his run... He missed the team's 31-28 road win at UC Santa Barbara during the 1984 season to attend a family wedding... This Saturday's game vs. Drake will be his 344th consecutive game and 404th overall out of 405. An amazing streak.
* Since the start of the 2005 season the Toreros have combined for an overall record of 106-36 (74.6 winning percentage), and a PFL mark of 71-15 (82.5 winning percentage)… USD’s overall home record on Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium during this run is 65-19 (77.4 winning percentage)… Including the last five home wins of the 2004 campaign, the Toreros strung together a school record 28 straight home victories (2004-2008).
* Former Torero Jamal Agnew (San Diego, Calif.), now on the active roster for the Detroit Lions, electrified an ESPN national audience on Monday Night Football (Sept. 18) when he returned a 4th quarter punt against the New York Giants for 88 yards and a TD. The return came at a crucial moment for the Lions, which were leading 17-10 at the time, extending their lead to two touchdowns, 24-10, and the game's final score. He was named the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week. On Sunday (Oct. 15) he did it again, this time for 74 yards against the New Orlean Saints, becoming just the 5th Lions player to return two punts for a TD in the same season.
* This week's opponent, the Drake Bulldogs (5-3, 4-1 PFL), have won nine of their last ten PFL games dating back to last season... Drake comes to town riding a two-game winning streak following a win at Marist (19-14) two weeks ago, along with last week's 17-12 home win over Davidson... DU's lone PFL loss came on Oct. 7th to Dayton (20-10)... Sophmore safety Will Warner was named the PFL Defensive Player of the Week following the Davidson win after his interception return for a TD provided the decisive score... QB Grant Kraemer has completed 127-of-223 passes for 1,755 yards and 11 TDs... Head Coach Rick Fox is in his fourth season (24-17).
Building a Home in Mexico
One day, seven student-athletes, impact for a lifetime
Baseball: Final Series
Toreros end their season against No. 2 Oregon State
Celebration of Excellence Recap
Toreros dress to impress for the end of year banquet
San Diego Athletics' staff makes home made version of Run DMC's hit song
USD Athletes Lip Sync
12 sports teams show off some skills in a new genre
USD Athletics Blooper Reel
What it sometimes takes to get that perfect shot
All Sport Highlights 2017-18
17 sports - infinite highlights
Baseball: Day in the Life with Jay Schuyler
The real-life baseball experience
Inside look at WCC competition
Men's Tennis: Sweep
San Diego defeat Pepperdine 4-0
Softball: The Win
Toreros defeat Saint Mary's in weekend series
Men's Basketball: Tuber
Coach Scholl introduces "Tuber" - the on campus Torero Uber
Men's Basketball: Barista Scholl
Coach Scholl gets students ready for class by helping out at Aromas Cafe
Football: Pro Day
Toreros submit their resumes to the NFL scouts
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics