GAME #10: The USD Toreros (7-2, 6-0 PFL), under the direction of fifth year head coach Dale Lindsey, play their final regular-season road game this Saturday, November 11th, at Davidson College (2-7, 0-6 PFL). Game time is 9:00 a.m. (Pacific) from Richardson Stadium. A link to the video stream ($5.95 fee) can be found at usdtoreros.com and davidsonwildcats.com. The game will also be broadcast on ESPN 1700AM with Jack Cronin providing the play-by-play. A win on Saturday would clinch the outright PFL title and the league's AQ for the 2017 NCAA Division I FCS Playoffs. USD's win over Davidson claimed a share of the 2017 PFL title, making this the fourth-straight season the Toreros have claimed at least a share of the PFL title and it is their ninth title all-time.
SERIES RECORD: This will be 13th meeting between USD and Davidson with the Toreros owning a 10-2 series advantage... USD has won the last five meetings including last year's 52-3 win on October 8, 2016 at Torero Stadium.
A LOOK AHEAD: USD returns to Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium to take on the Marist Red Foxes on November 18th (2:00 p.m.). It will be Senior Day with a pre-game ceremony for those seniors playing in their final home game.
PFL STANDINGS & UPCOMING SCHEDULE: San Diego (6-0 PFL, 7-2), Campbell (5-2, 6-4), Drake (4-2, 5-4), Jacksonville (4-2, 6-3), Butler (4-3, 6-4), Dayton (4-3, 5-5), Valparaiso (3-3, 4-5), Marist (2-4, 3-6), Morehead State (2-4, 3-6), Stetson (1-6, 2-8), Davidson (0-6, 2-7). Nov. 11th Games: Morehead State at Marist, San Diego at Davidson, Valparaiso at Butler, Drake at Campbell, Stetson at Jacksonville. Off Week: Dayton.
TOREROS STREAKING: With last Saturday's 45-15 win over Drake, the Toreros have now won a PFL record nineteen consecutive Pioneer Football League games... That mark ranks second among FCS programs with Jacksonville State owning 30 straight victories.
PETERSEN SETS TORERO ALL-TIME SACK RECORD: Senior defensive end Jonathan Petersen (Poway, Calif.) tallied three sacks against Drake this past weekend to become the program's all-time leader with 38 career sacks. The previous USD record was held by Eric Bakhtiari (35, 2004-2007). Petersen, who is a candidate on the STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award Watch List, needs five more sacks to set a new all-time FCS mark of 43. The current mark of 42.5 sacks is held by James Cowser (Southern Utah, 2012-15) who accomplished his record over 48 games. The Buchanan Award, first awarded in 1995 and presented to the FCS defensive player of the year, has sent past winners such as Dexter Coakley, Rashean Mathis, Jared Allen, Arthur Moats and Kyle Emanuel on to the NFL. Petersen currently ranks first amongst all FCS players in sacks (1.33 per game; 12 total for -92 yards), tackles for loss (1.9 per game; 17 total for -104 yards) and forced fumbles (0.56 per game, 5 total)... Petersen entered the 2016 campaign as USD’s all-time leader in forced fumbles with 10. Already with five this season, he has extended that total to 15. Among FCS active career leaders, he ranks No. 1 in sacks (0.86) and forced fumbles (0.32) per game as well as career sacks (38.0). Petersen is No. 2 in tackles for loss per game (1.50).
* USD Football is in its 55th season of play, and 25th season as a member of the Pioneer Football League... San Diego is second for most PFL titles with nine (Dayton leads with 12)... The Toreros have won six of the past seven PFL championships (2017*, 2016, 2015c, 2014, 2012c, 2011c) and eight overall when adding in titles from 2007c, 2006, 2005. Note: *Currently a share of the PFL title.
* Under head coach Dale Lindsey's watch, the Toreros are now 26-2 overall in home games at Torero Stadium, including a perfect 4-0 mark this season. Coach Lindsey has yet to drop a home PFL contest in four-plus seasons (19-0 record) and the Toreros have now won 30 straight league home games and a PFL record 19 consecutive PFL contests. Lindsey, a two-time PFL Coach of the Year and two-time FCS Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year candidate, is 43-12 overall (78.2 winning percentage). Coach Lindsey has a weekly radio spot every Friday at 8:50 a.m. (Pacific) on the Dan Sileo Show on The Mighty 1090AM.
* Three Toreros have received prestigious preseason recognition... Junior QB Anthony Lawrence is on the STATS FCS Walter Payton Award Watch List that is given to the top FCS player at the end of the year... Junior left tackle Daniel Cooney was named to the STATS FCS All-America Second Team and senior DE Jonathan Petersen was named to the STATS FCS All-America Third Team.
*Anthony Lawrence earned his second PFL Player of the week honor following the Jacksonville game. He earned his first award this season after the Butler game when he was tabbed the PFL Co-Offensive Player of the Week. In the two games combined he tossed 11 touchdowns. He was also selected an Amateur Star of the Month for September by the San Diego Hall of Champions. Through nine games he has completed 179-of-267 passes (67.0%) for 2,274 yards and 25 touchdowns with just one interception. In FCS ranks, he is tied for third in passing TDs (25), 4th in passing efficiency (168.7), 17th in passing yards (2,274) and 18th in passing yards per game (252.7). His three-year totals include 613-of-926 passing (66.2%) for 7,964 yards and 73 touchdowns (4th all-time at USD).
* Freshman running back Emilio Martinez (Salinas, Calif.) is first among PFL players in kickoff returns (25.8; #14 FCS) and is second in all-purpose yards per game (141.8; #8 in FCS). He ranks fourth in the PFL in total rushing yards (781 yards; #19 FCS). Junior Joseph Binda Jr. has also turned in some solid runs this season with 271 yards (4.6 ave.) and 5 rushing touchdowns.
* Lawrence has two reliable seniors when looking down field... Justin Priest leads the squad with 52 receptions for 793 yards (15.2 ave.) and 9 touchdowns, and tight end Ross Dwelley has hauled in 34 balls for 430 yards (12.6 ave.) and 7 touchdowns.
* Including Petersen, season defensive leaders include safety Colton Giorgi (50 tackles, 1 fumble recovery), LB Kim Mahoney (49 tackles, 2 breakups, 3 quarterback hurries, 2 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries), NB Max Michaels (48 tackles, 5 tackles for loss, 1 interception, 2 breakups, 3 quarterback hurries) and safety Ray Clark (45 tackles, 3 tackles for loss). Senior CB Kishan Patel recorded his second interception of the season with his 21-yard return against the Drake Bulldogs this past Saturday.
* The Toreros rank in eleven FCS top-10 areas - #1 tackles for loss allowed (3.11), #2 passes had intercepted (2), #3 third down conversion (51.7%), #3 turnovers lost (7), #4 team passing efficiency (167.24), #5 rushing defense (75.0), #5 sacks allowed (0.67), #7 completion percentage (66.7%), #7 fewest penalties per game (4.33), #8 red zone defense (65.4%), and #8 scoring offense (36.8).
* From the more than 1.1 million high school football players across the country, the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF) announced the names of five outstanding individuals as the recipients of the 2017 NFF Chapter Scholar-Athlete Awards. USD freshman fullback Brandon Micale (Arvada, CO) was selected for the west region for this honor. He will be a guest in New York on Dec. 5 for the awards luncheon, and the five 2017 recipients will attend the 60th NFF Annual Awards Dinner, also at the New York Hilton Midtown, as honored guests where they will meet many of the game’s greatest legends and current college stars.
* Senior LB Max Michaels (Poway, Calif.) was a semifinalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, announced by the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame. He was one of 181 semi-finalists for the award that recognizes an individual as the absolute best football scholar-athlete in the nation. Michaels carries a 3.95 grade-point average in his major of Accountancy.
* "Mr. Torero" - Including his four seasons as a wide receiver for the Toreros from 1979-1983, Mike Rish, Senior Offensive Administrative Assistant, is now in his 39th year with the USD football program. Incredibly, he has missed only one game out of a possible 405 games to date during his run... He missed the team's 31-28 road win at UC Santa Barbara during the 1984 season to attend a family wedding... This Saturday's game vs. Davidson will be his 345th consecutive game and 405th overall out of 406. An amazing streak.
* Since the start of the 2005 season the Toreros have combined for an overall record of 107-36 (74.8 winning percentage), and a PFL mark of 72-15 (82.7 winning percentage)… USD’s overall home record on Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium during this run is 66-19 (77.6 winning percentage)… Including the last five home wins of the 2004 campaign, the Toreros strung together a school record 28 straight home victories (2004-2008).
* Former Torero Jamal Agnew (San Diego, Calif.), now on the active roster for the Detroit Lions, electrified an ESPN national audience on Monday Night Football (Sept. 18) when he returned a 4th quarter punt against the New York Giants for 88 yards and a TD. The return came at a crucial moment for the Lions, which were leading 17-10 at the time, extending their lead to two touchdowns, 24-10, and the game's final score. He was named the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week. On Sunday (Oct. 15) he did it again, this time for 74 yards against the New Orlean Saints, becoming just the 5th Lions player to return two punts for a TD in the same season.
* This week's opponent, the Davidson Wildcats, own an overall record of 2-7 (0-6 PFL)... This past weekend they dropped a 42-29 decision to Campbell, currently the second place team in the PFL... Season leaders include HB Wesley Dugger (940 yards rushing, 7 TDs), WR William Hicks (41 receptions for 605 yards, 4 TDs), QB Tyler Phelps (118-for-222 for 1,257 yards, 5 TDs), LB George Hatalowich (58 tackles, 7 TFL) and DT Bryce Perry-Martin (4 tackles, 12 TFL, 5 sacks)... Head Coach Paul Nichols in in his 5th season at the helm.
Building a Home in Mexico
One day, seven student-athletes, impact for a lifetime
Baseball: Final Series
Toreros end their season against No. 2 Oregon State
Celebration of Excellence Recap
Toreros dress to impress for the end of year banquet
San Diego Athletics' staff makes home made version of Run DMC's hit song
USD Athletes Lip Sync
12 sports teams show off some skills in a new genre
USD Athletics Blooper Reel
What it sometimes takes to get that perfect shot
All Sport Highlights 2017-18
17 sports - infinite highlights
Baseball: Day in the Life with Jay Schuyler
The real-life baseball experience
Inside look at WCC competition
Men's Tennis: Sweep
San Diego defeat Pepperdine 4-0
Softball: The Win
Toreros defeat Saint Mary's in weekend series
Men's Basketball: Tuber
Coach Scholl introduces "Tuber" - the on campus Torero Uber
Men's Basketball: Barista Scholl
Coach Scholl gets students ready for class by helping out at Aromas Cafe
Football: Pro Day
Toreros submit their resumes to the NFL scouts
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics