GAME #10: The USD Toreros (7-1, 6-0 PFL), under the direction of fourth year head coach Dale Lindsey, return to PFL play this Saturday against the Stetson Hatters (4-5, 2-4 PFL). Kickoff is slated for 1:00 p.m. at Walter J. Zable Field at Torero Stadium.
NINETEEN TOREROS TO BE RECOGNIZED ON SENIOR DAY: It is a Torero Tradition to recognize those Toreros playing their final home game. On Saturday the following 19 players will be introduced prior to kickoff - CB Jamal Agnew, RB Jereke Armstrong, WR Jacob Arnell, P Ryan Belden, DL Evan Bishop, CB Devyn Bryant, DL Spencer Hammitt, LB Nic Henson, FB Tevin Heyward, RB Jonah Hodges, WR Joe Jakubowsky, LB George Liang, LB Alex Moreno, DL Jamal Newman, WR Brian Riley, DL Jalen Smith, NB Bobby Sojka, TE Nico Sullivan and LB Luke Taffuri.
TOREROS A WIN AWAY FROM FCS TOURNEY BERTH: San Diego enters Week 11 in control of its own destiny in regards to a PFL title and the league's automatic bid to the FCS championship. USD needs a win in one of its final two PFL outings to clinch a share of their eighth PFL title. That also would assure the Toreros no worse than a tie with both Dayton and Marist for the league title and USD would win the tiebreaker (and the league's automatic bid) as the Toreros defeated both teams during the regular season.
SERIES RECORD: This is the fourth meeting between USD and Stetson with the Toreros owing a 3-0 series lead... San Diego won last year's contest in Florida on October 31st by the score of 47-16.
LIVE STREAM: Saturday's contest will be streamed live on TheW.tv with Jack Cronin (@JackCroninPXP) providing the play-by-play call. Live stats will also available at usdtoreros.com.
A LOOK AHEAD: The Toreros close out their regular season schedule at Campbell on November 19th with a 9:00 a.m. (Pacific) contest.
PFL RECORDS/SCHEDULE FOR NOVEMBER 12TH: San Diego (6-0 PFL, 7-1), Dayton (6-1, 8-2), Marist (5-1, 5-4), Drake (4-2, 5-4), Jacksonville (3-2, 4-4), Campbell (2-3, 4-4), Morehead State (2-4, 3-6), Stetson (2-4, 4-5), Butler (2-5, 4-6), Valparaiso (2-5, 3-7), Davidson (0-7, 2-8). PFL Schedule: Dayton at Marist, Campbell at Morehead State, Jacksonville at Valparaiso, Butler at Drake, Stetson at San Diego.
TOREROS DEAL UDLAP AZTECAS 49-25 DEFEAT: With the game tied at 7-all after the first quarter, the Toreros strung together four 2nd quarter scores for a 35-7 halftime lead... RB Jonah Hodges scored on runs of 13 & 16 yards, and TE Zack Holland (8 yards) and TE Ross Dwelley (1 yard) pulled in TD receptions... In the second half Jereke Armstrong (11 yards) and Jordan Charles (41 yards) added touchdown runs... USD took a 7-0 lead in the game on a 2-yard TD reception by Justin Priest... QB Anthony Lawrence finished 16-20 for 171 yards and 3 TDs and sat out the second half... Armstrong finished with 72 yards rushing and Priest hauled in 7 balls for 49 yards... The defense was paced by LB Nic Henson (9 stops), safety Colton Giorgi (6 tackles) and CB Devyn Bryant (4 tackles, 2 pass breakups).
* USD Football is in its 54th season of play, and 24th season as a member of the Pioneer Football League... San Diego ranks second for most PFL titles with seven (Dayton leads with 12)... The Toreros have won four of the past five PFL championships (2015c, 2014, 2012c, 2011c) and seven overall when adding in titles from 2007c, 2006, 2005.
* Since taking over the program in 2013, head coach Dale Lindsey's has guided the Toreros to a 33-9 overall record (78.5 winning percentage) and 21-2 mark (91.3 winning percentage) at Torero Stadium.
* The 2016 College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) Academic All-DistrictTM Football Teams were released to recognize the nation's top student-athletes for their combined performances athletically and in the classroom. USD is represented with four student-athletes on the All-District VIII Squad which includes players from both FBS and FCS programs -- Devyn Bryant, USD, Sr., San Diego, CA, 3.54 GPA, Mechanical Engineering; Max Michaels, USD, Jr., Poway, CA, 3.93 GPA, Accountancy; Alec Moreno, USD, Jr., Poway, CA, 3.67 GPA, Accountancy; Connor Spencer, USD, So., Boulder, CO, 3.68 GPA, Electrical Engineering. This is the third straight year for Bryant and second year for Michaels to receive this recognition.
* Senior RB Jonah Hodges (Santa Cruz, Calif.) was named a San Diego Hall of Champions Star of the Month for October. Hodges directed the Toreros to a perfect 5-0 record in the month of October with all five victories coming in PFL play. For the month he rushed 93 times for 625 yards and 9 touchdowns, twice being named the PFL Offensive Player of the Week. For the five contests he average 125 yards rushing per game. His first league honor came on Oct. 9th following his 176 yard rushing and 4 touchdown performance in the team's 52-3 home win over Davidson. The 4 TDs tied a Torero school record for rushing touchdowns in a game. He closed out the month of October with his second award after totaling 175 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns in the team's 27-3 road win over Marist College. For the month he added 17 receptions for 164 yards and finished with 806 all-purpose yards.
* After 8 games the Toreros rank 1st in the PFL in scoring offense (35.9), scoring defense (11.6), rushing defense (95.4), pass efficiency (159.2 rating), total defense (269.6), pass defense efficiency (85.9 rating), sacks against (0.12), 3rd down conversions (56.8), and time of possession (34:45). Individuals leading the PFL include Jonah Hodges (111.2 yards rushing per game, 78 points, 13 touchdowns, 170.5 all-purpose yards per game) and Anthony Lawrence (161.6 pass efficiency rating). Toreros among the PFL leaders include DE Jonathan Petersen (#2 in QB sacks, 0.81; #6 in tackles for loss, 1.44), TE Ross Dwelley (#3 in receptions per game, 5.5), Lawrence (#3 in passing average per game, 249.5; #3 in total offense, 252.5), Jamal Agnew (#2 in punt returns, 11.9), and Devyn Bryant and Ray Clark (tied #3 in passes defended, 1.38).
* The Toreros are also FCS national statistical leaders in a number of areas - #1 in scoring defense (11.6), team passing efficiency defense (85.9) and time of possession (34:45); USD is #2 in 3rd down conversion percentage (56.8) and sacks allowed (0.12), #4 in total defense (269.6), #5 in opponent 4th down conversion percentage (.267), #6 in punt return defense (2.50), #7 in completion percentage (.665) and #10 in rushing defense (95.4)... USD is also receiving votes in all three FCS National Polls (STATS, COACHES, HERO SPORTS)... USD is 30th in the Coaches Poll and 33rd in the STATS poll among all FCS programs.
* Along with being named the team captain for 2016, senior corner back Devyn Bryant (San Diego, Calif.) is getting recognition off the field as well... He is a 2016 semifinalist for the National Football Foundation Campbell Trophy Award, given to the nation's top scholar-athlete; for the second straight season Devyn was the team's candidate for the All-State AFCA Good Works Team; and this past summer he was recognized as a 2016 Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar by the staff that produces the publication Diverse: Issues in High Education. Last year's team leader with 5 interceptions, he picked up his 7th career pick against Western New Mexico in this season's opener... He leads this year's defense, and ranks tied-#3 in the PFL, with 11 passes defended (10 breakups, 1 interception).
* Senior RB Jonah Hodges (Santa Cruz, Calif.) is having a big year after he broke his collarbone in last year's opener against SDSU... He returned for the team's final three games in 2015 and finished with 141 yards rushing... During the 2014 campaign he led the team with 1,214 yards rushing (101.2 yards per game) and 6 touchdowns... Thru 8 games this season he has rushed for 890 yards on 144 carries (6.2 yards per carry average; 111.2 yards per game) and 12 touchowns... His 4 rushing TDs against Davidson tied the school record... Among PFL players he ranks first in rushing (111.2), points (78), touchdowns (13), and all-purpose yards (170.5).
* Sophomore QB Anthony Lawrence (La Mesa, CA) gets the starting nod for his 19th straight game... Thru 8 games he has completed 153-227 passes for 1,996 yards and 17 scores... Last season he was team MVP after completing 188-295 passes for 2,392 yards and 23 touchdowns... He was also named the PFL Offensive Freshman of the Year.
* Lawrence has some outstanding targets to throw to this season led by TE Ross Dwelley (44 catches for 542 yards, 8 TDs), WR Brian Riley (36 catches for 722 yards, 5 TDs, and a team-best 20.1 yards per reception) and RB Jonah Hodges (31 receptions for 342 yards, 1 TD). Lawrence has also received great protection from the Torero offensive line having been sacked only once this season.
* Senior cornerback Jamal Agnew (San Diego, Calif. / Point Loma HS), who led all FCS players two seasons ago (2014) in passes defended (2.1 average), owns career numbers of 44 pass break-ups (school record) and 10 interceptions (school record is 15 by Al-Rilwan Adeyemi and Kyle Slusser).
* Last season junior DE Jonathan Petersen (Poway, Calif.) ranked first in the PFL in tackles for loss (16, -87 yards) and second in sacks (8, -68 yards)... He chipped in with 51 tackles (5th on team) to go with 8 QB hurries and 3 forced fumbles... He got off to a great start in 2016 after recording 2 sacks (-22 yards), 3 tackles for loss (-32 yards), 2 QB hurries, and 5 tackles against WNMU... Thru 8 games he has a team-leading 10 QB hurries to go with 6.5 sacks (-47 yards), 11.5 tackles for loss (-67 yards), 1 blocked kick and 1 forced fumble.
* This week's opponent, Stetson (4-5, 2-4 PFL), is coming off a tough 45-38 loss to Marist... The Hatters trailed 38-14 before rallying to knot the score at 38-all with 57 seconds to go... Marist scored on a 76-yard pass play 18 seconds later for the game-winner... QB Nick Andreas completed 25-46 for 344 yards and 3 TDs in his first game of the season... Stetson's strength this season has been its ability to get into an opponent's back field and wreak havoc, leading all FCS squads in tackles for loss (10.0 pg) and 44th in sacks (2.11 pg)... Opponents have lost an average of 36.3 yards per game due to that Stetson effort... Safety Donald Payne leads the defense with 90 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 2 sacks and 3 blocked kicks... Head Coach Roger Hughes is in his 4th season at the helm of the program.
USD Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
USD Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
USD Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
USD Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
USD Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics