THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE:
Buffalo at USD
Friday, August 29, 5:00 p.m.
Cal State Fullerton at USD
Monday, September 1, 7:30 p.m.
LAST TIME OUT... Playing in front of nearly 900 fans, the USD men's soccer team knocked off cross town rival San Diego State 2-1 in extra time last Thursday evening at Torero Stadium. After USD was held scoreless for the first 89 minutes, Julian Ringhof scored the equalizer in the 90th minute to force the match to extra time. Just two minutes into the extra period, Michael Turner bent a beautiful corner kick into the back of the net for the dramatic game winner.
SCOUTING THE BULLS: Buffalo finished 3-11-4 last season... They have won all three of their exhibition matches so far this season and Friday's match against the Toreros will be their season opener as well... Buffalo struggled to score last year, scoring just 15 goals in 18 matches... Russell Cicerone was named the MAC Freshman of the year after leading the team in goals and points last season... Waleed Cassis made 17 starts in goal last year, allowing 25 goals while making 77 saves... Stu Riddle is entering his second year as head coach of the Bulls after spending four years as the head coach at Western Michigan... This is the first ever meeting between Buffalo and USD.
SCOUTING THE TITANS: Fullerton went 6-11-1 last season, finishing fourth in the Big West South... The Titans open their season Friday at Illinois-Chicago... Senior midfielder Ian Ramos led the team in goals (4) and points (11) last year... The Titans are coached by George Kuntz, who is in his first year at Fullerton after spending the last 19 years at conference foe UC Irvine...The Toreros beat the Titans 3-2 in double overtime last year... The Toreros hold the advantage in the all-time series 12-10-3
- USD was chosen to finish third in the preseason WCC Coaches Poll, coming in behind reigning champ LMU and Santa Clara.
- The Toreros had two players named to the preseason All-WCC team; senior midfielder Connor Brandt and junior forward Torrey DeArmas.
- The Toreros have 21 returning letterwinners and nine returning starters from last year's team, and have added eight newcomers (two freshman & six transfers).
- USD has six matches against 2013 NCAA Tournament participants, with four of them coming at home (Bradley, New Mexico, UCLA, and LMU).
- Senior goalkeeper Drew Illijevski enters the season ninth all-time in career games, saves, and wins.
#GoGetIt - Call the Torero ticket office today to secure your tickets to all USD Athletic events. Always stay connected with the Toreros on Facebook (USD Athletics), Instagram (USD Toreros) and Twitter (@USD Toreros).