|San Diego Men's Soccer|
|Friday||vs. San Francisco||7 p.m.||Tickets||TheW.tv||Live Stats|
SAN DIEGO – San Diego will honor its seniors in its final-regular season home match against San Francisco on Friday at 7 p.m. (PT).
USD is unbeaten in eight of its past nine games and continues its pursuit of a fourth WCC championship in the past six years.
Friday’s match will be streamed live on TheW.tv and live statistics will be available via USDToreros.com.
LAST TIME OUT
• USD is coming off a challenging weekend in which it went 0-1-1 at Pacific and Saint Mary’s.
• The Toreros seven-game unbeaten streak came to an end Friday when it dropped a 3-1 decision at Pacific. The Tigers struck twice in the first seven minutes to take command of the game. Freddy Polzer got one back in the 11th minute to close the gap to, 2-1, but USD was unable to complete the comeback.
• Aaron Frey and Reuben Dass scored a goal apiece in the second half to help the Toreros salvage a 2-2 draw at Saint Mary’s. Goalkeeper Thomas Olsen made a career-high eight saves to help preserve the tie.
SAN FRANCISCO SERIES HISTORY
• USD is 21-19-3 all-time against the Dons and is 1-1-1 in the past three meetings. The teams have gone to overtime in each of the past two contests.
LEADING THE ATTACK
• Miguel Berry leads the team with 15 points. He leads the team in goals (5) and assists (5). He returns for his sophomore season after leading the team with eight goals as a freshman last year. Among WCC players, Berry is tied for the most game-winning goals (3), is fourth in points (15) and is fifth in points per game (1.00).
• Freddy Polzer has established himself as one of the team’s best creators, regularly setting up teammates in the final third. He is second on the team with 10 points on three goals and four assists.
• Djordje Babic returned from an early-season injury to establish his role in the lineup and provide a boost to the Toreros attack. He is third on the team in points (7), goals (2) and assists (3).
IN THE BOX
• Thomas Olsen is having an excellent final season. He has played every minute for the Toreros and holds a 1.00 goals-against average and .781 save percentage.
• Olsen leads the WCC in goals-against average (1.00), save percentage (.781), shutouts (5) and is second in saves (57).
• Olsen made a career-high eight saves at Saint Mary’s (Oct. 29) to help San Diego preserve a 2-2 draw.
STRONG PLAY BY THE BACKLINE
• USD leads the WCC in goals-against average (1.00) and shutouts (5), and is second in fewest goals allowed (16), fewest fouls (161) and saves (58).
SAN DIEGO VS. THE COUNTRY
• The Toreros rank in the top 50 nationally in save percentage (36th, .784) and won-lost-tied percentage (44th, .633).
COACH MCFADDEN’S FINAL SEASON
• Head coach Seamus McFadden returns for his 39th and final season at the helm. McFadden will continue to help with the team in future seasons but associate head coach, Brian Quinn, will take the lead at the end of the year.
• McFadden holds a career record of 385-283-70. Entering the 2017 season, McFadden had 377 career wins, which ranked eighth among active NCAA D-I coaches and 22nd overall for career wins all-time.
EXCELLING IN THE CLASSROOM
• San Diego was named a United Soccer Coaches Team Academic Award Winner earlier this season. The Toreros earned a team GPA of 3.14 during the 2016-17 academic year. It is the second time the team has been recognized after earning honors in 2014.
TOREROS EARN WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONORS
• Miguel Berry was named the WCC Player of the Week for his standout play in games against Portland (Oct. 13) and Gonzaga (Oct. 15). He assisted the equalizing goal against the Pilots and scored the game-winner in overtime against the Bulldogs.
• Thomas Olsen was named the WCC Player of the Week after helping lead the Toreros to a 2-0 record at Sacramento State and UC Davis (Sept. 8-10). He earned his second shutout of the season at Sacramento State and registered a career-high seven saves at UC Davis to preserve a 2-1 victory.
COPA DE CAUSEWAY ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
• Goalkeeper Thomas Olsen, striker Miguel Berry, and defenders Henry Lander and Josiah Benjamin were named to the Copa de Causeway All-Tournament Team for their standout play during the games at Sacramento State and UC Davis (Sept. 8-10).
BALANCE IN THE LINEUP
• USD boasts a quality mix of experienced returners and a talented freshman class. The Toreros return 14 letterwinners, eight starters and nine freshmen.
• USD has won three of the past five WCC Championships and nine all-time in program history.
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics