|San Diego Men's Soccer|
|Saturday||at Santa Clara||7 p.m.||TheW.tv||Live Stats|
SAN DIEGO – San Diego concludes its regular season and makes its final push for an NCAA Tournament at-large berth Saturday at 7 p.m. (PT) when it travels to Santa Clara.
The Toreros (8-5-3, 2-2-2 WCC) have run into a bit of adversity after reeling off a seven-game unbeaten streak from Sept. 17-Oct. 22, going 0-2-1 in its past three matches.
USD is at No. 40 in the RPI rankings and has multiple quality victories on its resume but need a win against the Broncos (2-13-1, 2-3-1 WCC) to remain in the mix for a spot among the 48-team postseason tournament field.
Saturday’s match will be streamed live on TheW.tv and live statistics will be available via USDToreros.com.
LAST TIME OUT
• USD is coming off a disappointing 1-0 home defeat on its Senior Night against San Francisco. A goal by the Dons’ Sean Bowman in the 66th minute was the difference.
• USD had its chances throughout the match but could not find the finishing touch. The Toreros outshot the Dons 14-10 – including a 12-6 margin in the second half – and held a 4-3 edge in corner kicks.
• Miguel Berry was the most dangerous target up top for USD, generating a team-high five shots with four on goal. He was robbed twice by a USF defender on the goal line, first in the 4th minute when his shot off his own rebound was cleared away, then again in the 65th minute when a header destined for goal was turned away at the last moment.
SANTA CLARA SERIES HISTORY
• USD is 14-33-3 all-time against the Broncos and is 3-3 in the past three meetings. The Toreros claimed a 3-2 overtime victory in the most recent meeting with Michael Turner netting the game-winner in the 92nd minute.
LEADING THE ATTACK
• Miguel Berry leads the team with 15 points. He leads the team in goals (5) and assists (5). He returns for his sophomore season after leading the team with eight goals as a freshman last year. Among WCC players, Berry is tied for the most game-winning goals (3), is fifth in points (15), points per game (0.94) and assists (5), and sixth in goals (5).
• Freddy Polzer has established himself as one of the team’s best creators, regularly setting up teammates in the final third. He is second on the team with 10 points on three goals and four assists.
• Djordje Babic returned from an early-season injury to establish his role in the lineup and provide a boost to the Toreros attack. He is third on the team in points (7), goals (2) and assists (3).
IN THE BOX
• Thomas Olsen is having an excellent final season. He has played every minute for the Toreros and holds a 1.00 goals-against average and .776 save percentage.
• Olsen leads the WCC in save percentage (.776), is second in goals-against average (1.00), saves (59) and saves per game (3.69), is third in shutouts (5), and fourth in shutouts per game (0.31).
• Olsen made a career-high eight saves at Saint Mary’s (Oct. 29) to help San Diego preserve a 2-2 draw.
STRONG PLAY BY THE BACKLINE
• USD is second in fewest goals allowed (17), goals-against average (1.00), fewest fouls (168) and saves (60), and is fourth in shutouts (5).
SAN DIEGO VS. THE COUNTRY
• The Toreros rank in the top 50 nationally in save percentage (41st, .779).
COACH MCFADDEN’S FINAL SEASON
• Head coach Seamus McFadden returns for his 39th and final season at the helm. McFadden will continue to help with the team in future seasons but associate head coach, Brian Quinn, will take the lead at the end of the year.
• McFadden holds a career record of 385-284-70. Entering the 2017 season, McFadden had 377 career wins, which ranked eighth among active NCAA D-I coaches and 22nd overall for career wins all-time.
EXCELLING IN THE CLASSROOM
• San Diego was named a United Soccer Coaches Team Academic Award Winner earlier this season. The Toreros earned a team GPA of 3.14 during the 2016-17 academic year. It is the second time the team has been recognized after earning honors in 2014.
TOREROS EARN WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONORS
• Miguel Berry was named the WCC Player of the Week for his standout play in games against Portland (Oct. 13) and Gonzaga (Oct. 15). He assisted the equalizing goal against the Pilots and scored the game-winner in overtime against the Bulldogs.
• Thomas Olsen was named the WCC Player of the Week after helping lead the Toreros to a 2-0 record at Sacramento State and UC Davis (Sept. 8-10). He earned his second shutout of the season at Sacramento State and registered a career-high seven saves at UC Davis to preserve a 2-1 victory.
COPA DE CAUSEWAY ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
• Goalkeeper Thomas Olsen, striker Miguel Berry, and defenders Henry Lander and Josiah Benjamin were named to the Copa de Causeway All-Tournament Team for their standout play during the games at Sacramento State and UC Davis (Sept. 8-10).
BALANCE IN THE LINEUP
• USD boasts a quality mix of experienced returners and a talented freshman class. The Toreros return 14 letterwinners, eight starters and nine freshmen.
• USD has won three of the past five WCC Championships and nine all-time in program history.
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics