Victor Pugliese was one of five Toreros to win their singles matches
Feb. 22, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The No. 26 University of San Diego men's tennis team (5-2) knocked off No. 39 Boise State (3-6) 5-2 Friday afternoon at the Hogan Tennis Center. The Toreros rallied back after losing the doubles point to win for the fourth time in the past five matches.
The Toreros got off to a rough start, losing all three doubles matches. Romain Kalaydjian and Ciaran Fitzgerald lost 8-3 to Andrew Bettles and Nathan Sereke at the No. 1, followed by Uros Petronijevic and Thibaut Visy falling 8-4 at the No. 2. In the final doubles match, Boise State's Toby Mitchell and Filipp Pogostkin edged out Clarke Spinosa and Andrew Carlisle 8-7 (9-7).
Freshman Uros Petronijevic, who entered the ITA rankings at No. 108 last week, cruised to a 6-2, 6-0 victory at the No. 4. The Broncos followed that with a 6-3, 6-1 win by No. 27 Andrew Bettles over Romain Kalaydjian at the No. 1.
The Toreros would go on to win the rest of their singles matches to claim the 5-2 victory. Ciaran Fitzgerald won 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 6. No. 88 Clarke Spinosa won 7-6 (7-5), 6-0 at the No. 3. Thibaut Visy battled back after going down 1-4 in the first set to win 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 2. Lastly, Victor Pugliese took care of business at the No. 5 winning 2-6, 6-2, 6-4.
The Toreros return to action Tuesday when they host No. 57 Rice at 1:30 p.m.
#26 San Diego 5, #39 Boise State 2
1. #27 Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) 6-3, 6-1
2. Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 7-5, 6-4
3. #88 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Scott Sears (BSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0
4. #107 Uros Petronijevic (USD) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Victor Pugliese (USD) def. Garrett Patton (BSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: Singles (4,1,6,3,2,5)
1. Andrew Bettles/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Romain Kalaydjian (USD) 8-3
2. Garrett Patton/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Uros Petronijevic/Thibaut Visy (USD) 8-4
3. Toby Mitchell/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Clarke Spinosa/Andrew Carlisle (USD) 8-7 (9-7)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3);