March 4, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The No. 66 University of San Diego men's tennis team (4-4) returned to their home courts in winning fashion Tuesday afternoon against the Rice University Owls (2-9).
After a tight doubles point, the Toreros stayed strong in singles dominating the Owls 6-1.
The Toreros got off to a great start to open up doubles play, winning their sixth doubles point in a row. Juniors Ciaran Fitzgerald and Andrew Raphaelson continued to roll past their opponents, defeating Owl's Max Andrews and Adam Gustafsson 8-3, staying undefeated for the season. The remaining two matches proved to be back and forth battles to claim the doubles point. While Toreros' Uros Petronijevic and Romain Kalaydjian came back from a 4-1 deficit, it was 30th ranked Clarke Spinosa and Filip Vittek who clinched the point. Spinosa and Vittek took the victory over Rice's Srikar Alla and Leif Berger 8-7(4).
Petronijevic came out the gate strong in singles, taking down Owl's Adam Gustafsson 6-2, 6-3. Spinosa grabbed the next match, getting a big win over Rice's No. 117 Tommy Bennett 6-4, 6-4. Seconds after, Kalaydjian knocked off Owl's Srikar Alla 6-4, 7-5 to clinch the win for the Toreros. Both Fitzgerald and Vittek picked up the last wins of the day: Fitzgerald defeated Gustavo Gonzalez 6-2, 6-4, while Vittek knocked off Max Andrews 6-3, 7-5.
The Toreros return to action this Saturday, at 2:00 p.m., against fellow WCC contender Loyola Marymount at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center. Watch the post-match interview below.
#66 San Diego 6, Rice 1
1. Clarke Spinosa/Filip Vittek (USD) def. Srikar Alla/Leif Berger (RICE) 8-7(4)
2. Uros Petronijevic/Geoffrey Fosso (USD) vs. David Warren/Tommy Bennett (RICE) 6-6 DNF
3. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Andrew Raphaelson (USD) def. Max Andrews/Adam Gustafsson (RICE) 8-3
1. #61 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. #117 Tommy Bennett (RICE) 6-4, 6-4
2. Uros Petronijevic (USD) def. Adam Gustafsson (RICE) 6-2, 6-3
3. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Srikar Alla (RICE) 6-4, 7-5
4. Filip Vittek (USD) def. Max Andrews (RICE) 6-3, 7-5
5. David Warren (RICE) def. Andrew Raphaelson (USD) 7-5, 7-5
6. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Gustavo Gonzalez (RICE) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1); Singles (2, 1, 3, 6, 4, 5)