Junior Oscar Plotnik won both his singles and doubles matches this afternoon.
March 10, 2005
By Roland Hu, USD Media Relations
San Diego, Calif. - After upsetting three ranked teams in five days, the University of San Diego could have had a let down when they faced unranked Yale University this afternoon. The Toreros were aware of the dangers if they overlooked the Bulldogs, but demonstrated that they had not lost their focus, demolishing their opponent 7-0.
"It's tough when you play three ranked teams and then you play an unranked team, it's hard," said junior Oscar Plotnik. "It's all about getting back to the basics - putting the ball in the court and make them miss the ball and don't go for too crazy of a shot or serve."
San Diego captured the doubles point with relative ease, as Oscar Plotnik and Pierrick Ysern rolled over Chris Lawler and Rowan Reynolds 8-2 on Court 2, while Robbie Blair and Thomas Liversage won at the No. 3 spot, defeating Matthew Feldman and Johnny Lu 8-5. The Bulldogs prevented a sweep when Ryan Murphy and Brandon Wai outlasted Nic Beuque and Mirza Koristovic 9-8 (3) at the No. 1 position.
San Diego continued to play impressively, as five of the six singles matches resulted in straight set wins for USD. First off the court was Ysern, who beat Wai at No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-4. Blair followed up with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Lu on Court 4 and Liversage clinched the contest after he dismissed Rory Green 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 5 position. Nic Beuque and Mirza Koristovic won their matches to complete the shutout. Beuque overcame a first set deficit to beat Murphy 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (6) on Court 2, while Koristovic came from behind in the second set to post a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Rowan Reynolds at the No. 4 spot.
San Diego, winner of its last five matches, improves to 5-3 while Yale falls to 2-6. The Toreros return to action on Friday, March 11 when Boston University visits the USD West Tennis Courts. Game time will be at 1:30 P.M.
Doubles (USD wins the doubles point)
1. Ryan Murphy/Brandon Wai (Yale) def. Nic Beuque/Mirza Koristovic (USD), 9-8 (3)
2. Oscar Plotnik/Pierrick Ysern (USD) def. Chris Lawler/Rowan Reynolds (Yale), 8-2
3. Robbie Blair/Thomas Liversage (USD) def. Matthew Feldman/Johnny Lu (Yale), 8-5
1. Pierrick Ysern (USD) def. Brandon Wai (Yale), 6-2, 6-4
2. Nic Beuque (USD) vs. Ryan Murphy (Yale), 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (6)
3. Mirza Koristovic (USD) vs. Rowan Reynolds (Yale), 6-3, 7-5
4. Robbie Blair (USD) def. Johnny Lu (Yale), 6-3, 6-2
5. Thomas Liversage (USD) def. Rory Green (Yale), 6-4, 6-1
6. Oscar Plotnik (USD) vs. Matthew Feldman (Yale), 6-4, 6-2