Sophomore Uros Petronijevic clinched the match, winning 6-2, 6-2
March 12, 2014
MORAGA, Calif. - The No. 68 University of San Diego men’s tennis team (6-4, 2-0 WCC) took care of business Wednesday afternoon defeating St. Mary’s College (5-4, 0-1 WCC) in a complete shutout at the Korth Tennis Complex.
In doubles, No. 31 Clarke Spinosa and Filip Vittek got the Toreros on the board after defeating Gaels’ Joakim Norstrom and Wil Martin 8-2. The Gaels equalized on court three, snapping junior doubles duo Ciaran Fitzgerald and Andrew Raphaelson’s six-match winning streak. That would be the Gaels’ lone win of the day. Sophomores Uros Petronijevic and Romain Kalaydjian clinched the doubles point, getting the victory over Samuel Bloore and Thomas Alexander Hunt 8-5.
The Toreros stayed strong in singles, with wins at the No. 4 and 1 spots to quickly spread their lead. Vittek knocked off Gaels’ Nathan Lewis 6-1, 6-2, while No. 59 Spinosa came up with a convincing win over Joakim Norstrom 6-2, 6-2. Petronijevic clinched the win for the Toreros, cruising past Tuomas Manner 6-2, 6-2.
Shortly after the match was secured, Fitzgerald took down Gaels’ Wil Martin 6-4, 6-2. Kalaydjian continued his hot streak after defeating Thomas Alexander Hunt 7-5, 6-4. Kalaydjian has won seven of his last eight matches. Freshman Geoffrey Fosso ended the afternoon with a win, defeating Mathias Olsen 6-3, 6-2.
"Really happy with today," Head coach Brett Masi said. "We were having fun out there and just competed well. Nice to see everyone win in singles and play well from start to finish. This is where we need to make our stride and this was a good start today! Looking forward to another big match tomorrow at Pacific."
The Toreros get right back on the courts tomorrow to face the University of the Pacific Tigers. The match is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. PT at Hal Nelson Tennis Courts in Stockton, Calif.
#68 San Diego 7, St. Mary’s 0
1. #31 Clarke Spinosa/Filip Vittek (USD) def. Joakim Norstrom/Wil Martin (SMC) 8-2
2. Uros Petronijevic/Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Samuel Bloore/Thomas Alexander Hunt (SMC) 8-5
3. Tuomas Manner/James Markiewicz (SMC) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Andrew Raphaelson (USD) 8-4
1. #59 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Joakim Norstrom (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Uros Petronijevic (USD) def. Tuomas Manner (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Thomas Alexander Hunt (SMC) 7-5, 6-4
4. Filip Vittek (USD) def. Nathan Lewis (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Wil Martin (SMC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Geoffrey Fosso (USD) def. Mathias Olsen (SMC) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2); Singles (4, 1, 2, 5, 3, 6)
Men's Soccer Season Opener
Previewing No. 16 Cal
Training Camp Update
Coach Lindsey Recaps the First Two Weeks
2015 WSOC Preview
A brief preview of the 2015 Toreros.
The Will to Win
2015 Celebration of Excellence.
Get to Know Kyle Holder
One of the top SS in the country.
From Serbia to San Diego
Four stand-out student athletes hail from Serbia.
Torero Profile: Lauren Schad
One of a few Native American female athletes in DI.