March 13, 2014
STOCKTON, Calif. - The No. 68 University of San Diego men's tennis team (7-4, 3-0 WCC) won their second match on the road this week, narrowly ousting the University of the Pacific Tigers (6-7, 1-1 WCC) 4-3 at the Hal Nelson Tennis Courts.
The Toreros stayed hot in doubles play, clinching the doubles point once again. No. 31 Clarke Spinosa and Filip Vittek grabbed the first point of the day after defeating Daniel Alameh and Marlon Brand 8-3. While Tigers' Denis Stolyarov and Sem Verbeek knocked off sophomores Uros Petronijevic and Romain Kalaydjian 8-4, Ciaran Fitzgerald and Andrew Raphaelson remained confident. The pair, who are this weeks' WCC Doubles Team of the Week, took down Tigers' Miguel Diaz and Alex Hamilton 8-6.
In singles, Petronijevic extended the Toreros' lead to two defeating Daniel Alameh 6-3, 6-3. The Tigers answered, getting the victory over freshman Aaron Addison 6-3, 6-2. Although Spinosa knocked off Pacific's Sem Verbeek 6-4, 6-4, the Tigers would not go down easy. Pacific picked up another win at the No. 4 spot as Vittek fell to Miguel Diaz 6-4, 6-3. In a tight match, freshman Geoffrey Fosso came out on top, beating Tigers' Ben Mirkin 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.
The Toreros return to action on their home courts this Sunday at 2:30 p.m. against No. 2 Oklahoma.
San Diego 4, Pacific 3
1. #31 Clarke Spinosa/Filip Vittek (USD) def. Daniel Alameh/Marlon Brand (Pacific) 8-3
2. Denis Stolyarov/Sem Verbeek (Pacific) def. Romain Kalaydjian/Uros Petronijevic (USD) 8-4
3. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Andrew Raphaelson (USD) def. Miguel Diaz/Alex Hamilton (Pacific) 8-6
1. #59 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Sem Verbeek (Pacific) 6-4, 6-4
2. Uros Petronijevic (USD) def. Daniel Alameh (Pacific) 6-3, 6-3
3. Denis Stolyarov (Pacific) def. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
4. Miguel Diaz (Pacific) def. Filip Vittek (USD) 6-4, 6-3
5. Geoffrey Fosso (USD) def. Ben Mirkin (Pacific) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
6. Alex Hamilton (Pacific) def. Aaron Addison (USD) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (2, 6, 1, 4, 5, 3)