March 15, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The No. 51 University of San Diego men's tennis team (7-4, 1-0) beat No. 42 Middle Tennessee State (11-6) 6-1 Friday afternoon at the Hogan Tennis Center in the first match of a doubleheader.
The Toreros started out the day on a good note by taking the doubles point after winning two of the three matches. Clarke Spinosa and Thibaut Visy earned the first win for the Toreros after knocking off Marlon Brand and Yannick Born 8-2 at the No. 1. The Blue Raiders followed that with an 8-2 of their own at the No. 3 when David Fox and Christoph Lang beat Ciaran Fitzgerald and Victor Pugliese.
The doubles point came down to the No. 2 spot where Romain Kalaydjian and Uros Petronijevic where matched up against the 58th ranked tandem in the nation, Victor Cornea and Ben Davis. Kalaydjian and Petronijevic were able to hold on for the 8-4 win, handing Cornea and Davis their first loss of the season at the No. 2. Petronijevic and Kalaydjian, who are roommates, are 3-0 since being re-partnered together.
The Toreros continued their strong play in singles, winning the first five matches. The Toreros' captains, Thibaut Visy and Clarke Spinosa, set the tone early on. Visy won 6-1, 6-2 in his second match at the No. 1 and No. 94 Clarke Spinosa won 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 at the No. 3.
continued his strong play and clinched the W for the Toreros with a 7-5, 6-2 win at the No. 6. Fitzgerald has now won five of his last six singles matches.
Romain Kalaydjian and Uros Petronijevic also won in singles. Kalaydjian won 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7) at the No. 2 and Petronijevic won 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) at the No. 3.
The Blue Raiders took the last singles match after Victor Cornea outlasted Victor Pugliese 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (11-9) at the No. 5. The loss snapped Pugliese's five match singles win streak.
1. Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Davis, Ben (MT) 6-1, 6-2
2. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Lang, Christoph (MT) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
3. #94 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Born, Yannick (MT) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
4. Uros Petronijevoc (USD) def. Zito, Ettore (MT) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Cornea, Victor (MT) def. Victor Pugliese (USD) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (11-9)
6. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Fox, David (MT) 7-5, 6-2
1. Clarke Spinosa/Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Born, Yannick/Brand, Marlon (MT) 8-2
2. Uros Petronijevoc/Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. #58 Cornea, Victor/Davis, Ben (MT) 8-4
3. Lang, Christoph/Fox, David (MT) def. Victor Pugliese/Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) 8-2
Middle Tennessee 11-6; National ranking #42
San Diego 7-4; National ranking #51
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3,6,2,4,5)