Clarke Spinosa won both his doubles and singles match
March 21, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -No. 38 The University of San Diego men's tennis team (9-5, 2-1) lost to No. 44 Memphis (6-4) 4-3 in a heartbreaker in the first round of the San Diego Invitational Thursday evening at the Hogan Tennis Center. The loss snapped the Toreros' three match win streak.
The Tigers were able to snag the doubles point after winning some tough battles at the No. 2 and 3 spots. Clarke Spinosa and Thibaut Visy won 8-5 at the No. 1 for their fourth straight doubles win. The Tigers answered back with an 8-4 win at the No. 2 when David O'Hare and Joe Salisbury knocked off Romain Kalaydjian and Uros Petronijevic, to give the Toreros tandem their first loss at the No. 2 spot all year. The doubles point came down to the No. 3 where the Tigers' David O'Leary and Johnny Grimal outlasted Ciaran Fitzgerald and Victor Pugliese8-6.
The Toreros, who entered the day on a three match win streak, would not go down easily however. Victor Pugliese was the first to finish, winning 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 5. No. 94 Clarke Spinosafollowed him with his fourth consecutive singles victory, winning 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 3.
The Tigers earned their first singles point at the No. 1 where Connor Glennon defeated Thibaut Visy 6-3, 6-4 to tie it 2-2. However, the lead would not last long for the Tigers. Romain Kalaydjian won his fifth consecutive match with a 6-4, 7-5 victory at the No. 2 over No. 105 Joe Salisbury, but Memphis responded with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 victory by Johnny Grimal over Uros Petronijevicat the No. 4.
With the match tied at 3, it would come down to Ciaran Fitzgeraldin the third set at the No. 6. With both teams cheering on, the Tigers David O'Leary outlasted Fitzgerald 6-2, 1-6 6-4.
Memphis will move on to play No. 20 Denver tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. The Toreros will now play Denver (3-9 ) in the consolation round of the San Diego Invitational tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. at the Hogan Tennis Center.
#44 University of Memphis 4, #38 San Diego 3
1. Connor Glennon (MEMPHIS) def. Thibaut Visy(USD) 6-3, 6-4
2. Romain Kalaydjian(USD) def. #105 Joe Salisbury (MEMPHIS) 6-4, 7-5
3. #94 Clarke Spinosa(USD) def. Lukas Vrnak (MEMPHIS) 6-0, 6-1
4. Johnny Grimal (MEMPHIS) def. Uros Petronijevoc (USD) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
5. Victor Pugliese(USD) def. David O'Hare (MEMPHIS) 6-1, 6-2
6. David O'Leary (MEMPHIS) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald(USD) 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
1. Clarke Spinosa/Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Connor Glennon/Cedric De Zutter (MEMPHIS) 8-5
2. David O'Hare/Joe Salisbury (MEMPHIS) def. Uros Petronijevoc/Romain Kalaydjian (USD) 8-4
3. David O'Leary/Johnny Grimal (MEMPHIS) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Victor Pugliese (USD) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,3,1,2,4,6)
Men's Soccer Season Opener
Previewing No. 16 Cal
Training Camp Update
Coach Lindsey Recaps the First Two Weeks
2015 WSOC Preview
A brief preview of the 2015 Toreros.
The Will to Win
2015 Celebration of Excellence.
Get to Know Kyle Holder
One of the top SS in the country.
From Serbia to San Diego
Four stand-out student athletes hail from Serbia.
Torero Profile: Lauren Schad
One of a few Native American female athletes in DI.