Victor Pugliese and the Toreros won 4-0 over Denver
March 22, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego men's tennis team (10-5, 2-1) defeated Denver (3-10) in the consolation round of the San Diego Invitational Friday evening. The Toreros will play No. 72 Oklahoma State (8-6) tomorrow at noon in the 5th/6th place match at the Hogan Tennis Center.
The Toreros won the doubles point in thrilling fashion after all three matches came down to the wire. The Pioneers earned a close victory at the No. 3 with Henry Craig and Luke Manley barely edging out Ciaran Fitzgerald and Victor Pugliese 9-7.
The next two matches came down to the tiebreaker. Uros Petronijevic and Romain Kalaydjian rallied back for a 9-8 (8-6) win at the No. 2. Clarke Spinosa and Thibaut Visy would win just seconds later 9-8 (7-4) at the No. 1 to clinch the dramatic doubles point. The Toreros momentum carried over into singles play where they won their first three matches to secure a 4-0 victory. Ciaran Fitzgerald won after Denver's Luke Manley retired in the second set. Victor Pugliese followed that with a 6-0, 6-2 win at the No. 5.
Clarke Spinosa, who is ranked No. 94 in the ITA singles rankings, clinched the match at the No. 3 spot where he won 6-2, 6-3.
Denver will play UAB tomorrow in the 7th/8th place match, while the Toreros will battle No. 72 Oklahoma State for fifth place at noon.
No. 38 San Diego, Denver 0
1. Thibaut Visy (USD) vs. #62 Enej Bonin (DEN) 6-6, unfinished
2. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) vs. Jens Vorkefeld (DEN) 7-5, 2-3, unfinished
3. #94 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Henry Craig (DEN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Uros Petronijevoc (USD) vs. Max Krammer (DEN) 2-6, 1-4, unfinished
5. Victor Pugliese (USD) def. Fabio Biasion (DEN) 6-0, 6-2
6. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Luke Manley (DEN) 6-2, 3-0, retired
1. Clarke Spinosa/Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Enej Bonin/Jens Vorkefeld (DEN) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Uros Petronijevoc/Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Max Krammer/Fabio Biasion (DEN) 9-8 (8-6)
3. Henry Craig/Luke Manley (DEN) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Victor Pugliese (USD) 9-7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,5,3)