Senior captain Clarke Spinosa knocked off No. 49 Connor Glennon 6-7(2), 6-1, 6-4
March 22, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The No. 61 University of San Diego men's tennis team (8-7, 3-0 WCC) lost a heartbreaking match against the No. 32 Memphis Tigers (9-3) Saturday afternoon in the last day of the Hilton San Diego Mission Valley Spring Classic at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center. Although the Toreros fought back from 3-0 down, the Tigers narrowly pulled away in the final match defeating the Toreros 4-3.
In doubles play, the Toreros struggled to find rhythm with the Tigers getting wins at the No. 2 and 3 spots: Johnny Grimal and Ian Chadwell defeated juniors Ciaran Fitzgerald and Andrew Raphaelson 8-1, while Cedric De Zutter and Connor Glennon knocked off sophomores Uros Petronijevic and Romain Kalaydjian 8-3.
As singles play commenced, the Tigers grabbed wins on courts two and six to extend their lead. However, the Toreros fought back and began to gain momentum. Freshman Filip Vittek cruised past Tigers' Johnny Grimal 6-4, 6-1. Kalaydjian soon followed, defeating Memphis' David O'Leary 6-4, 6-3. Later, senior captain Clarke Spinosa picked up a big win over No. 49 Connor Glennon 6-7(2), 6-1, 6-4.
The deciding match would come down to court five as Fitzgerald battled against Tigers' Ian Chadwell in three sets. Although neck and neck in each game, Chadwell narrowly pulled away 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
After a strong and competitive tournament, the Toreros take a small break before they return to action April 4th in San Jose, Calif. against the Santa Clara Broncos.
San Diego 3, Memphis 4
1. #9 Joe Salisbury/David O'Hare (MEMPHIS) vs. Clarke Spinosa/Filip Vittek (USD) 5-4 DNF
2. Cedric De Zutter/Connor Glennon (MEMPHIS) def. Uros Petronijevic/Romain Kalaydjian (USD) 8-3
3. Johnny Grimal/Ian Chadwell (MEMPHIS) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Andrew Raphaelson (USD) 8-1
1. #59 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. #49 Connor Glennon (MEMPHIS) 6-7(2), 6-1, 6-4
2. #94 Joe Salisbury (MEMPHIS) def. Uros Petronijevic (USD) 7-5, 6-0
3. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. David O'Leary (MEMPHIS) 6-4, 6-3
4. Filip Vittek (USD) def. Johnny Grimal (MEMPHIS) 6-4, 6-1
5. Ian Chadwell (MEMPHIS) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. David O'Hare (MEMPHIS) def. Geoffrey Fosso (USD) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2); Singles (2, 6, 4, 3, 1, 5)