Sophomore Matt Ozurovich earned a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Adam Schaeffer on Tuesday afternoon.
March 22, 2005
By Roland Hu, USD Media Relations
Honolulu, HI - No. 35 San Diego continued its romp through paradise by trouncing unranked Xavier 7-0 today at the UH Tennis complex. The Toreros relied on their upperclassmen to carve out the victory, as senior Robbie Blair and junior Oscar Plotnik and Pierrick Ysern were all double winners this afternoon. USD improves to 10-4 on the season, while Xavier falls to 8-8.
The University of San Diego struck first by capturing the doubles point. All three Torero pairs won rather handily to give the Blue and White a 1-0 lead heading into singles play. San Diego head coach Tom Hagedorn rested usual No. 2 starter Nic Beuque and bumped everyone else up a spot. Sophomore Matt Ozurovich filled in nicely for Beuque, as he won his match against Adam Schaeffer at the No. 6 spot 6-2, 6-4. Ysern, Koristovic, Blair, Plotnik and freshman Thomas Liversage followed suit with straight set wins to account for the final margin.
San Diego returns to action on Friday afternoon when they take on No. 59 Northwestern University. The match will be held at the USD West Tennis Courts and game time will be at 1:30 P.M.
Doubles (USD wins the doubles point)
1. Nic Beuque/Mirza Koristovic (USD) def. Rob Simpson/Justin Yeager (XU), 8-2
2. Oscar Plotnik/Pierrick Ysern (USD) def. Jeremy Miller/JR Randall (XU), 8-6
3. Robbie Blair/Thomas Liversage (USD) def. Rustin Reys/Brian Schubert (XU), 8-4
1. Pierrick Ysern (USD) def. JR Randall (XU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Mirza Koristovic (USD) def. Justin Yeager (XU), 6-1, 6-4
3. Robbie Blair (USD) def. Rob Simpson (XU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Thomas Liversage (USD) def. Brian Schubert (XU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Oscar Plotnik (USD) def. Brian Quinn (XU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Matt Ozurovich (USD) def. Adam Schaeffer (XU), 6-2, 6-4