Clarke Spinosa and Thibaut Visy captured the lone Torero doubles win of the day, beating Garrett LaBarre and Dmytro Mamedov at No. 2 by a score of 8-3. On the losing end were Nikola Bubnic and Nils Schive, who fell to Alejandro Medinilla and Benito Suriano 8-4 at No. 1 and Dean Jackson and Emilio Mora, playing just their third match together, who lost to Devin Lane and Matt Cowley 8-4.
The Toreros bounced right back in singles play though, winning the first four contests in order. Jackson, ranked 30th in singles, notched the first Torero point of the day with his 6-1, 6-2 victory over Suriano, while Bubnic followed with a 6-1, 6-2 win of his own over Mamedov, improving to 22-5 on the year.
No. 83 Spinosa put USD up 3-1 when he cruised past Lane at No. 3 by a score of 6-0, 6-2, giving him a 23-4 overall singles mark on the year and a 16-1 dual singles record that ties him with Visy, who beat Medinilla for the clinching win 6-2, 6-2, for the dual match team lead.
Senior Abdullah Hashem was the only Torero singles victim of the day, losing 6-3, 6-3 to Ben Tasevac at No. 6. However, Mora bounced back from losses in his last three singles contests by battling to a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Cowley at No. 5 that wrapped up the day for the Toreros.
USD has a week off before heading to Malibu, Calif. for a showdown with West Coast Conference foe Pepperdine at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 2nd.
#24 San Diego 5, Utah 2
March 25th, 2011
Hogan Tennis Center, San Diego, Calif.
(1) Medinilla/Suriano (UTAH) def. Bubnic/Schive (USD) 8-4
(2) Visy/Spinosa (USD) def. LaBarre/Mamedov (UTAH) 8-3
(3) Lane/Cowley (UTAH) def. Jackson/Mora (USD) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1*, 2
Utah wins doubles point.
(1) #30 Dean Jackson (USD) def. Benito Suriano (UTAH) 6-1, 6-2
(2) Nikola Bubnic (USD) def. Dmytro Mamedov (UTAH) 6-1, 6-2
(3) #83 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Devin Lane (UTAH) 6-0, 6-2
(4) Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH) 6-2, 6-2
(5) Emilio Mora (USD) def. Matt Cowley (UTAH) 6-4, 7-5
(6) Ben Tasevac (UTAH) def. Abdullah Hashem (USD) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4*, 6, 5
San Diego: 15-2