"April 7, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The No. 42 University of San Diego (14-7, 4-1) picked up their fourth WCC win after knocking off No. 56 Santa Clara (13-8, 1-4) 6-1 Sunday afternoon at the Hogan Tennis Center. The Toreros have now won their last three matches by an aggregate score of 19-2.
The Toreros won the doubles point after winning at the No. 1 and 3 spots. Ciaran Fitzgerald and Victor Pugliese earned their third consecutive doubles victory after winning 8-6 at the No. 3. The Broncos won at the No. 2 spot, but Clarke Spinosa and Thibaut Visy clinched the doubles point with an 8-6 win at the No. 1.
"I knew once we got out on the court the guys would get going," Head Coach Brett Masi said after the match. "We jumped out right away in doubles, 5-0 at 3 and 5-2 at 1, which made it tough for them to come back. Having that lead early on really put the pressure on them."
The Toreros' momentum carried over into singles play where they dominated, winning five of the six matches in two sets. No. 78 Clarke Spinosa got the first W after winning 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 3. Romain Kalaydjian followed that with a 6-3, 6-2 win at the No. 2. Victor Pugliese clinched the win for the Toreros with a 6-1, 6-2 win at the No. 5.
"I always put Clarke in the position to play their tough guys. He played today at 3 against Matt Kecki, who was one my former players at USC. I knew it would be a tough match and that Clarke would be up for it. He comes out everyday and prepares the right way," Masi said. "He is mentally ready to go and he took care of his business winning 6-3, 6-0. He didn’t even give his guy a chance to breathe."
The last three singles matches would go the Toreros way as well. Uros Petronijevic
won his match immediately after Pugliese finished, 7-5, 6-2 at the No. 4. Ciaran Fitzgerald
took care of business at the No. 6, winning 6-2, 6-4. Santa Clara won the final singles match after John Lamble, who is ranked No.63 by the ITA, defeated Thibaut Visy
at the No. 1 6-4, 6-4.
The Toreros return to action on Friday when they travel to LMU for a 1:30 match.
"We have an important match versus LMU on Friday," Masi said. "We have to take care of that before we can look ahead to Pepperdine."
#42 San Diego 6, #56 Santa Clara 1
1. #63 John Lamble (SCU) def. Thibaut Visy(USD) 6-4, 6-4
2. Romain Kalaydjian(USD) def. Ilya Osintsev (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #78 Clarke Spinosa(USD) def. Matt Kecki (SCU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Uros Petronijevoc (USD) def. Thom Pham (SCU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Victor Pugliese(USD) def. Tomasz Solyka (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Ciaran Fitzgerald(USD) def. Eugene Muchynski (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Clarke Spinosa/Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Ilya Osintsev/John Lamble (SCU) 8-6
2. Thom Pham/Matt Kecki (SCU) def. Romain Kalaydjian/Uros Petronijevoc (USD) 8-5
3. Victor Pugliese/Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Eugene Muchynski/Tomasz Solyka (SCU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,5,4,6,1)