Clarke Spinosa won his fifth straight singles match
April 13, 2013
MALIBU, Calif. - The No. 38 University of San Diego men's tennis team (15-8, 5-2) lost on the road to No. 7 Pepperdine (21-4, 7-0) 5-2 Saturday afternoon snapping the Toreros' four match win streak.
Pepperdine, who entered the match with a No. 7 national ranking and an undefeated record in WCC play, were able to get on the scoreboard first after winning the doubles point. The Waves' Alex Sarkissian and Finn Tearney won at the No. 2 over Romain Kalaydjian and Uros Petronijevic 8-4, and then Sebastian Fanselow and Francis Alcantara clinched the point with an 8-5 victory over Thibaut Visy and Clarke Spinosa at the No. 1. The final doubles match went unfinished.
The Waves, behind the performance of the 16th ranked Sebastian Fanselow, got the first singles point after he beat Thibaut Visy 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 1.
No. 87 Clarke Spinosa got the Toreros on the board with his fifth straight singles win, a 6-0 6-3 victory at the No. 2 over No. 88 Finn Tearney.
The Waves would answer to extend their lead to with a 6-2, 6-3 win at the No. 6, and then Alex Sarkissian would clinch the win for Pepperdine with a 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 victory over No. 110 Romain Kalaydjian at the No. 3.
With the match decided, the Toreros would split the last two singles matches. Victor Pugliese took a rare loss at the No. 5 where he lost to Mousheg Hovhannisyan 7-6 (7-0), 6-0). Uros Petronijevic won after No. 80 Francis Alcantara retired in the third set.
The Toreros have one remaining WCC match on Friday when they host Saint Mary's (9-12, 3-4) at 1:30 p.m. The Toreros, with a 5-2 conference record are currently in third place in the WCC, behind Pepperdine and BYU who are both undefeated. The top three seeds receive a first round bye in the WCC Tournament.
#7 Pepperdine 5, #38 San Diego 2
1. #16 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Thibaut Visy (USD) 6-3, 6-2
2. #87 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. #88 Finn Tearney (PEP) 6-0, 6-3
3. Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. #110 Romain Kalaydjian (USD) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
4. Uros Petronijevoc (USD) def. #80 Francis Alcantara (PEP) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 3-2, retired
5. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Victor Pugliese (USD) 7-6 (7-0), 6-0
6. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) 6-2, 6-3
1. Sebastian Fanselow/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Clarke Spinosa/Thibaut Visy (USD) 8-5
2. Alex Sarkissian/Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Romain Kalaydjian/Uros Petronijevoc (USD) 8-4
3. Mousheg Hovhannisyan/David Sofaer (PEP) vs. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Victor Pugliese (USD) 6-4, unfinished
Match Notes: San Diego 15-8, 5-2; National ranking #38
Pepperdine 21-4, 7-0 WCC; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,2,6,3,5,4)