Clarke Spinosa on Senior Day
April 19, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The No. 45 University of San Diego men's tennis team (15-7, 9-0 WCC) made history this afternoon at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center shutting out the Gonzaga Bulldogs (9-13, 0-9 WCC) and ending the year with a perfect 9-0 conference record. Although the Toreros had already clinched the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament, today's victory clinched sole possession of the WCC Regular Season Championship.
The win, the Toreros' 7th in a row, marks the first year the squad has ever been undefeated in conference in program history.
Clarke Spinosa started off Senior Day on a high note, dominating Bulldogs' Jack Schoebel and Muzeen Ismath with partner Filip Vittek. The 53rd ranked pair are currently on a seven-match winning streak. Juniors Ciaran Fitzgerald and Andrew Raphaelson clinched the point, handedly taking down Joey Brandt and Vladimir Mijatovic in an 8-4 decision.
The Toreros took care of business as usual in singles, picking up the first set in five of the six matches.
Spinosa posted a 6-1, 6-0 win over Zags' Nick Kamisar in his final collegiate match at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center.
"Coming out today and executing the last hurdle felt great," Spinosa said after the match. "To see the guys come out today and take care of business heading into WCC's feels phenomenal. Everyone is clicking and I can't wait to play WCC's with these guys next week. It has been an absolute honor to lead them throughout this season."
Raphaelson followed, knocking off Gonzaga's Muzeen Ismatch 6-1, 6-4. Fitzgerald also continued his winning ways, grabbing the victory over Jack Schoebel 6-0, 6-4 to secure the win.
The Toreros, locked in as the No. 1 seed, will return to action at the WCC Tournament on Friday, April 25th in the semifinals.
San Diego 7, Gonzaga 0
1. #53 Clarke Spinosa/Filip Vittek (USD) def. Jack Schoebel/Muzeen Ismath (GU) 8-3
2. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Andrew Raphaelson (USD) def. Joey Brandt/Vladimir Mijatovic (GU) 8-4
3. Romain Kalaydjian/Patrick Hall (USD) vs. Hayden Smith/Pablo Mosquera Pérez (GU) 8-7(2)
1. #65 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Nick Kamisar (GU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Filip Vittek (USD) def. Vladimir Mijatovic (GU) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0(3)
3. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Hayden Smith (GU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Jack Schoebel (GU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Andrew Raphaelson (USD) def. Muzeen Ismath (GU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Aaron Addison (USD) def. Pablo Mosquera Pérez (GU) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (1, 5, 4, 6, 2, 3)
Volleyball Tournament Preview
A preview of the USD Tournament
Men's Soccer Season Opener
Previewing No. 16 Cal
Training Camp Update
Coach Lindsey Recaps the First Two Weeks
2015 WSOC Preview
A brief preview of the 2015 Toreros.
The Will to Win
2015 Celebration of Excellence.
Get to Know Kyle Holder
One of the top SS in the country.
From Serbia to San Diego
Four stand-out student athletes hail from Serbia.
Torero Profile: Lauren Schad
One of a few Native American female athletes in DI.