Senior Robbie Blair earned an easy 6-3, 6-1 victory over Richard Johnson this afternoon in the WCC Finals.
April 24, 2005
By Roland Hu, USD Media Relations
Malibu, Calif. - Second-seeded University of San Diego fell to seventh-ranked and top-seeded Pepperdine University 4-2 this afternoon in the finals of the 2005 West Coast Conference Championships. Played at Pepperdine's Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center, the Toreros, ranked 31st In the nation, were competitive throughout all singles matches and were close to pulling the upset, though the Waves proved their depth in the singles line-up.
After capturing the doubles point, the Waves found themselves down early after Robbie Blair recorded an easy 6-3, 6-1 victory over Richard Johnson at the No. 4 position and Pierrick Ysern scored a 6-4, 6-1 win over Scott Doerner at the top spot. Pepperdine evened the match when Pedro Rico beat Nic Beuque on Court 2 and they took the lead after Ivor Lovrak took a 7-6, 6-0 decision from Thomas Liversage at the No. 5 position. The Waves closed out the match when Jonas Berg overcame a second set hiccup against Mirza Koristovic at the No. 3 spot and won 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (5).
At the end of the final, the yearly conference awards were announced and both Beuque and Ysern found themselves on the All-WCC Singles Team, while Beuque and Koristovic were named to the Honorable Mention All-WCC Doubles Team.
San Diego falls to 16-6 on the year, while Pepperdine improves to 21-2. The Toreros will now await their fate in regards to the NCAA Tournament when the draw is announced on Wednesday, May 4th. They are hoping to earn an at-large berth into the 64-team tournament.
Doubles (Pepperdine wins the doubles point)
1. Scott Doerner/Pedro Rico (PEP) vs. Nic Beuque/Mirza Koristovic (USD), 6-2 (DNF)
2. Jonas Berg/Ivor Lovrak (PEP) def. Oscar Plotnik/Pierrick Ysern (USD), 8-2
3. Richard Johnson/Kevin Borzenski (PEP) def. Robbie Blair/Thomas Liversage (USD), 8-5
1. Pierrick Ysern (USD) def. Scott Doerner (PEP), 6-4, 6-1
2. Pedro Rico (PEP) def. Nic Beuque (USD), 6-3, 6-4
3. Jonas Berg (PEP) def. Mirza Koristovic (USD), 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (5)
4. Robbie Blair (USD) def. Richard Johnson (PEP), 6-3, 6-1
5. Ivor Lovrak (PEP) def. Thomas Liversage (USD), 7-6, 6-0
6. Alexis Rafidison (PEP) vs. Oscar Plotnik (USD), 2-6, 6-3, 5-6 (DNF)
Volleyball Tournament Preview
A preview of the USD Tournament
Men's Soccer Season Opener
Previewing No. 16 Cal
Training Camp Update
Coach Lindsey Recaps the First Two Weeks
2015 WSOC Preview
A brief preview of the 2015 Toreros.
The Will to Win
2015 Celebration of Excellence.
Get to Know Kyle Holder
One of the top SS in the country.
From Serbia to San Diego
Four stand-out student athletes hail from Serbia.
Torero Profile: Lauren Schad
One of a few Native American female athletes in DI.