Feb. 11, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Washington Spirit made former University of San Diego forward Stephanie Ochs the first pick in Thursday's National Women's Soccer League Supplemental Draft, a process that allocated 45 players to the league's eight clubs.
Ochs, 23, was the third pick in last year's Women's Professional Soccer college draft before the league ceased operations. The San Diego-raised attacker made three appearances for the U.S. U-23s in 2012, scoring once. The 5-foot, 9-inch forward, who graduated from USD in 2011, scored 25 career goals and had 31 assists for the Toreros during her four-year career, and was a two-time NSCAA All-America selection.
Ochs, who became the first San Diego player to be recognized as the WCC Player of the Year when she won the award in 2011, helped the Toreros reel off seven straight conference wins to earn a share of the program's first-ever WCC championship. Ochs tied for the conference lead with 13 points during WCC play in 2011, while leading the conference with nine assists in eight conference matches. For the 2011 season, Ochs scored eight goals and registered 14 assists, helping USD reach the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament with wins over UC Irvine and second-ranked UCLA.
In addition to Ochs being drafted, Sky FC Blue selected former Torero great goalkeeper, Brittany Cameron, in the second round. Cameron earned the West Coast Conference (WCC) Defender of the Year as a senior, becoming only the second Torero to earn the distinction, while posting nine shutouts and a goals-against-average of 0.75. In 2007, she backstopped the Toreros to a program-best No. 9 ranking and a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances, including a trip to the second round in 2008.
The final Torero to be picked up by this new league, is current assistant coach and former Torero All-American, Leigh Ann Robinson. Robinson signed a free-agent tender with FC Kansas City.
Robinson was the first Torero ever drafted by the WPS, as the Bay Area FC Gold drafted her in the 40th overall pick in the 2007 draft. During her one season with the FC Gold, Robinson started in 15 out of 20 matches and she recorded her first professional goal on a game-winner. After one season with the FC Gold, she was then the first pick in the 2009 WPS Expansion Draft by the Atlanta Beat. She then started 21 out of 24 matches logging 1,973 minutes (the most of any Atlanta Beat player in 2010). Robinson assisted on one goal, took 12 shots, and four shots on goal. Robinson then joined the Philadelphia Independence for the 2011 season, and helped solidify the team's defense en route to a second straight championship game appearance. Robinson recorded a pair of assists in 2011, while playing and starting in 17 matches.
While a player for the Toreros from 2004-07, Robinson scored 15 goals for her collegiate career. She started all 20 matches for USD her senior year, scoring a total of five goals on the year with three of them being game-winners. She was named to the West Coast Conference first-team in both her junior and senior years. In 2006, she led her team in scoring, putting away nine goals, including two decisive game winners. As a sophomore, was named second-team All-WCC, and started 17 of 22 games as a freshman.
Complete Draft Results
1. Washington Spirit - Stephanie Ochs (University of San Diego), F
2. Seattle Reign FC - Nikki Krzysik (Virginia), D
3. Boston Breakers - Joanna Lohman (Penn State), M
4. Chicago Red Stars - Lindsay Tarpley (North Carolina), F
5. Sky Blue FC - Katy Frierson (Auburn), M
6. FC Kansas City - Courtney Jones (North Carolina), F
7. Western New York Flash - Estelle Johnson (Kansas), D
8. Portland Thorns FC - Tina Ellertson (University of Washington), D
9. Washington Spirit - Tori Huster (Florida State), M
10. Seattle Reign FC - Lauren Barnes (UCLA), D
11. Boston Breakers - Katie Schoepfer (Penn State), M
12. Chicago Red Stars - Lauren Fowlkes (Notre Dame), D
13. Sky Blue FC - Brittany Cameron (University of San Diego), G
14. FC Kansas City - Bianca Henninger (Santa Clara), G
15. Western New York Flash - Angela Salem (Francis Marion), D
16. Portland Thorns FC - Angie Kerr (Portland), M
17. Washington Spirit - Jordan Angeli (Santa Clara), M
18. Seattle Reign FC - Laura Heyboer (Michigan), F
19. Boston Breakers - Bianca D'Agostino (Wake Forest), F
20. Chicago Red Stars - Michelle Wenino (Colorado), D
21. Sky Blue FC - CoCo Goodson (UC Irvine), D
22. FC Kansas City - Merritt Mathias (Texas A&M), F
23. Western New York Flash - Kim Yokers (Cal-Berkley), M
24. Portland Thorns FC - Michele Weissenhofer (Notre Dame), F
25. Washington Spirit - Tasha Kai (Hawaii), F
26. Seattle Reign FC - Liz Bogus (Arizona State), F
27. Boston Breakers - Jasmyne Spence (Maryland), F
28. Chicago Red Stars - Jackie Santacaterina (Illinois), D
29. Sky Blue FC - Meghan Lenczyk (Virginia), F
30. FC Kansas City - Casey Nogueira (North Carolina), F
31. Western New York Flash - Val Henderson (UCLA), G
32. Portland Thorns FC - Marian Dalmy (Santa Clara), D
33. Washington Spirit - Megan Mischler (West Virginia), F
34. Seattle Reign FC - Michelle Betos (Georgia), G
35. Boston Breakers - Lauren Alkek (Oklahoma), D
36. Chicago Red Stars - Alyssa Mautz (Texas A&M), M
37. Sky Blue FC - Kandace Wilson (Cal State-Fullerton), D
38. FC Kansas City - Tina DiMartino (UCLA), M
39. Western New York Flash - Ashley Grove (Maryland), F
40. Portland Thorns FC - Jessica Shufelt (UCONN), F
41. Washington Spirit - Heather Cooke (Maryland), F
42. Seattle Reign FC - Kaley Fountain (Wake Forest), D
43. Boston Breakers - Jessica Luscinski (Boston University), M
44. Chicago Red Stars - pass
45. Sky Blue FC - Alison Falk (Stanford), D
46. FC Kansas City - Casey Berrier (Loyola), D
47. Western New York Flash - pass
48. Portland Thorns FC - pass
USD Wins Big Conference Game Against Dayton
Toreros beat Dayton 34-22
Volleyball Plays USF for First WCC Play
Kristen Gengenbacher & Kaity Edwards talk about excitement for WCC play
USD Hosts Dayton in PFL Opener
Co-Captain Brian Riley & Coach Lindsey talk about the challenges of the Saturday's game
Volleyball Highlights from Wins Over UCSB and LBSU
Volleyball up to no. 7 after dominant weekend
Meet The Toreros: Ana Ramos
Freshman guard from Portugal
Cross Country Shows Speed on Home Course
The women finished second overall & the men finished fourth overall
Meet the Toreros: Kaity Edwards
6-2 MH From Playa Del Rey, CA
Second Home Tournament Preview
Lauren Schad & Jayden Kennedy talk about new ranking and preview upcoming games
Home Cross Country Race Preview
Head Coach Guarino and seniors Benster & Smith talk about the new team
Volleyball Highlights from Home Tournament Sweep
Volleyball beats UCI, CU and UCLA at their first home tournament
Sixth Man Night
Head Coach Smith talks about upcoming annual fundraiser
Volleyball's First Home Tournament of the Season
Kramer & Jennings recap last game and share excitement for upcoming tournament
Football Plays Cal Poly After 27-0 Opening Week Win
Giorgi and Lindsey recap game against WNM and preview Cal Poly
Men's Soccer Home Opener Preview
Price & McFadden preview UCD & Sac State
Postgame Highlights & Interviews
Western New Mexico Preview
Jamal Agnew & Anthony Lawrence break down WNMU.
USD vs. Stanford Volleyball UPSET
Torero women win 3 of 5 sets against #11 Stanford.
Meet the Toreros: Isaiah Pineiro
Versatile 6'6" forward will redshirt 2016-17 season.
Men's Soccer Kicks Off Season In NC
Coach McFadden & Michael Turner Preview Matches vs Duke & Elon.
Softball Golf Tournament Promo
September 17th at Bernardo Heights CC.
Meet the Toreros: Isaiah Wright
Former Utah Ute will redshirt the 2016-17 season.
Training Camp Update
Team prepares for Saturday scrimmage.
Meet the Toreros: Patricia Brossmann
6'0" freshman forward from Berlin, Germany.
Meet the Toreros: Mark Carbone
6'2" freshman guard from Wethersfield, CT.
Meet the Toreros: Madison Pollock
6'1" freshman guard from Snohomish, Wash.
Women's Soccer In the Community
Toreros host soccer skills clinic at Linda Vista Elementary.
Meet the Toreros: Juwan Gray
6'8" freshman forward from Dover, Delaware.
Toreros Open Training Camp
The USD women's soccer team began training camp today.
Meet the Toreros: Nassir Barrino
6'0" freshman guard from Newark, New Jersey.
Meet the Toreros: José Martinez
6'10" freshman forward from Cayey, Puerto Rico.
Meet the Toreros: Frank Ryder
6'10" freshman forward from Boulder, Colo.
2015-16 Highlight Video
All the top plays from 2015-16
Jordan Angus - Male Torero of the Year
Angus reflects on his time at USD
Malina Hood - Female Torero of the Year
Malina Hood looks back at her USD career
NCAA Tournament Preview
San Diego faces Vanderbilt in first round
2016 Celebration of Excellence
Behind the Scenes at the COE
Toreros Participate in Linda Vista Parade
Toreros Participate in Linda Vista Parade
Men's Tennis senior Day
The Toreros host LMU and Pepperdine Saturday and Sunday
Softball WCC Preview
The Toreros host Saint Mary's Saturday and Sunday
2016 San Diego Crew Classic
The Toreros show speed against the nation's top crews
The Torero Baseball Experience
Kris Bryant & Brian Matusz reflect on their time at USD
MBB Senior Night
Jito Kok and Duda Sanadze prepare for the final home game
USD Baseball Season Preview
Season starts at No. 3 Vanderbilt February 19
USD Softball Season Preview
Season starts February 12
USD travels to No. 9 UCLA Friday
Toreros Host Kentucky Saturday
USD looks to defend home court against No. 22 Kentucky
Toreros Host Pepperdine & LMU
USD returns home after four-game road trip
Toreros Team Up with PYBL
Men's Basketball hosts annual clinic for Challenged Division
Men's Tennis 2016
USD opens at home vs UC Irvine and UCSD Saturday
Preview of USD women's basketball WCC opener vs. BYU.
City Championship Highlights
Relive the Toreros' Upset over SDSU at Petco Park
Toreros to Host Hope International
The 9-1 Toreros will host Hope International in their final game before WCC play
Toreros Stun Aztecs at Petco
Postgame reaction and press conferences
Toreros Return Home
USD will host Bethesda before Sunday's City Championship at Petco Park
Men's Basketball Season Tickets
Starting as Low as $99
Pono Keni and Coach Lindsey talk about Saturday's Senior Day game against Butler
Coach Fisher and forward Maya Hood talk about Tuesday's home-opener against CSUN
Coach Smith and Brett Bailey preview the season opener at USC
Jonah Hodges and Dale Lindsey talk about Jonah's return and preview Davidson game
San Diego Fall Classic Preview
Coach Dagman previews the San Diego Fall Classic
USD's Women's Basketball team will start their season at Nevada this weekend
USD Men's Basketball - The Origins (1955-1973)
A Glance at the Beginnings of Torero Hoops
Coach Lindsey and Jeff Starr preview Campbell
Coach Lindsey and Jereke Armstrong talk about the season so far
WCC Media Day
Behind the scenes with Men's and Women's Basketball at WCC media day
Dale Lindsey and Anthony Lawrence on USD's 45-14 win
Anthony Lawrence and Coach Lindsey preview game vs. Warner
Torero Community Service
USD Athletics helps out at Father Joe's Village in downtown San Diego
Men's Basketball Camp Update
Kok and Carter talk about the upcoming season
Toreros host Bulldogs for Homecoming game
Toreros look for 4th straight win
Pack the Stadium Night
ITA All-American's Preview
Petronijevic, Angus, & Vittek Prepare
USD Looks to Extend Home Win Streak
Toreros First True Road Game of 2015
CSUN and UCSB Preview
Toreros Look to Extend Win Streak
Aztec Invite Recap
Both Squads Finish Second
Toreros Take on Cross-town Rival
Highlights from 45-21 win
2015 Home Opener
Previewing Western New Mexico
Volleyball Tournament Preview
A preview of the USD Tournament
Men's Soccer Season Opener
Previewing No. 16 Cal
Training Camp Update
Coach Lindsey Recaps the First Two Weeks
2015 WSOC Preview
A brief preview of the 2015 Toreros.