San Diego (5-1)
Illinois State (1-4)
North Dakota (3-2)
Texas State (2-3)
No. 18/19 Arizona State (5-1)
SAN DIEGO – San Diego takes its first road trip of the season this weekend when it travels to Tempe, Arizona, to play five games at the Littlewood Classic hosted by Arizona State.
The Toreros (5-1) open the weekend Friday at 11:30 a.m. PT against Illinois State. Tournament play continues Saturday at 8 a.m. against North Dakota and at 10:30 a.m. against Illinois State. Play concludes Sunday with another doubleheader, beginning with Texas State at 10:30 a.m. them No. 18/19 Arizona State at 1 p.m.
Live statistics will be available for each game via USDToreros.com.
LAST TIME OUT
• The Toreros played host to the USD Softball Tournament this past weekend to open the season. USD complied a 5-1 record, playing Campbell and CSU Bakersfield three times each. After a disappointing season-opener, the Toreros rattled off five straight victories.
• USD’s freshman pitchers, Halle Kyler and Hannah Boos, had outstanding debut weekends. Kyler compiled a 3-0 record and 1.42 ERA, limiting opponents to a .133 batting average and permitting just 11 hits in 24 2/3 innings. Boos recorded a 2-0 record with a 2.05 ERA, and held opponents to a .231 batting average in 13 2/3 innings.
• Kailey Hill paced the offense with a .529 batting average, nine hits, seven RBIs and two home runs. She capped her weekend with a two-run walk-off home run in the bottom of the seventh inning against CSU Bakersfield.
— USD Softball (@USDSoftball) February 11, 2018
WCC WEEKLY HONORS
• Senior Kailey Hill and Freshman Halle Kyler swept the WCC weekly honors, marking the fifth consecutive season the Toreros have had at least one player win a weekly award during the first week of the season.
• Hill was named the WCC Player of the Week after hitting .529 (9-for-17) with seven RBIs, two home runs, a double, two runs and a .941 slugging percentage over six games this past weekend. She capped her weekend by hitting a walk-off two-run home run in the bottom of the seventh inning against CSU Bakersfield to break a 2-2 tie and give the Toreros their fifth straight win.
• Kyler was named the WCC Pitcher of the Week, pitching in four of six games and earning a 3-0 record with a 1.42 ERA. She held opponents to a .133 batting average and threw complete games in both of her starts. She struck out seven batters and allowed just one run on two hits in 5 1/3 innings in her collegiate debut against Campbell.
— USD Softball (@USDSoftball) February 13, 2018
• Junior outfielder Taylor Spence was selected to the All-WCC Preseason Softball Team in a vote by conference coaches. Spence led the Toreros offensively in 2017, hitting .403 with 60 hits, 31 runs, 15 walks and 12 stolen bases.
• The Toreros were selected to finish fourth in the Preseason Coaches Poll. BYU was selected to finish first with 25 points, followed by Pacific and Loyola Marymount with 19 points apiece, then the Toreros (13), Saint Mary’s (9) and Santa Clara (5).
WHO TO WATCH
• Along with All-WCC Preseason Softball Team selection, Spence, key returners to keep an eye on early in the season will be Sara Silveyra and Kailey Hill. Silveyra batted .349 with 21 runs, 44 hits, nine doubles, 21 RBIs and a .460 slugging percentage last year. Hill generated 39 hits, including 10 doubles, four home runs and 25 RBIs.
• In the circle, Delaney Heller returns for her sophomore season after posting a 4-4 record with a 4.14 ERA and 31 strikeouts in 69.1 innings pitched.
• USD added freshmen Hannah Boos, Hayley Hensley, Halle Kyler and Katie Vretzos, along with junior transfers Shelbi Evans and Emili Olague. Boos and Kyler are expected to eat up innings in the circle, while Vretzos will add depth to the infield and Hensley will contribute where needed. Evans will add experience behind the plate and Olague will help sure up first base.
MCELVAIN RETURNS FOR 17TH SEASON
• Head coach Melissa McElvain returns for her 17th season with the Toreros. She holds a 341-450 (.431) all-time record at USD and has the most wins of any coach in program history. She has coached 74 all-league honorees, including the 2011 PCSC Coastal Division Player of the Year (Taylor Hensley), two PCSC Freshmen of the Year (Jennifer Ellenbeck; 2007 & Rebekah Bradford; 2004), the 2014 WCC Pitcher of the Year (Cassidy Coleman), and two WCC Freshmen of the Year (Kailey Hill, 2015 and Lauren Kane, 2016).
• Along with the on-field success, McElvain's squads have featured 88 Toreros who have earned PCSC Commissioner's Honor Roll recognition and nine players who have claimed 14 WCC All-Academic Team honors since joining the conference in 2014.
NEW FACES ON MCELVAIN’S STAFF
• Coach McElvain has a completely new staff for 2018, including assistant coaches Mark Viramontes (hitting) and Danielle O’Toole (pitching), and volunteer assistant coach Katiyana Mauga.
• Viramontes spent the past two seasons as the volunteer assistant coach with the Toreros baseball team. He brings 19 years of coaching experience at the collegiate level, including 12 years with D-I programs. He has spent time at some of the nation’s premier collegiate baseball teams, including San Diego, Saint Mary’s (CA), San Diego State and California.
• O’Toole graduated from Arizona in 2017 and is a current member of the U.S. National Team and National Professional Fastpitch's Chicago Bandits. She’ll primarily be responsible for handling the pitching staff. O'Toole boasts a lengthy resume of softball and academic accomplishments during her collegiate career at Arizona and San Diego State. She earned NFCA All-America first team honors in 2017 and was a three-time NFCA All-West Region selection.
• Named the 2017 Pac-12 Pitcher of the Year, O'Toole was named one of 10 finalists for the USA Softball Player of the Year award. She was a two-time All-Pac-12 first team selection and a two-time All-Mountain West honoree. O'Toole earned Mountain West Pitcher of the Year honors in 2014 and Mountain West Freshman of the Year recognition in 2013.
• Mauga was a classmate of O’Toole’s at Arizona and finished her collegiate career as one of the best power-hitters in NCAA history. She was named an NFCA second team All-American, 2017 Pac-12 co-Player of the Year and finalist for USA Softball Player of the Year. Mauga finished her collegiate career second in NCAA history in career home runs and was the only player in NCAA history with 20 or more homers in all four seasons.
• USD’s 2018 schedule features 51 games, including 10 against eight teams that participated in the 2017 NCAA Tournament. USD will play 23 games at the San Diego Softball Complex.
• The Toreros open the season with 36 nonconference games and will participate in five tournaments.
• USD will play 10 games against eight teams that competed in the 2017 NCAA Regionals, including two games against teams that competed in the 2017 NCAA Super Regionals.
• USD has two six-game home stretches – one is the first weekend of the season (Feb. 8-11), the other is the last (April 28-May 5). The Toreros longest road stretch is 11 games from Feb. 16-25.
THIS YEAR’S TEAM
• USD returns 14 players, including eight starters, from last year’s team that finished third in the WCC. The Toreros welcome four freshmen and two junior transfers to this year’s squad.
Baseball: Final Series
Toreros end their season against No. 2 Oregon State
Celebration of Excellence Recap
Toreros dress to impress for the end of year banquet
San Diego Athletics' staff makes home made version of Run DMC's hit song
USD Athletes Lip Sync
12 sports teams show off some skills in a new genre
USD Athletics Blooper Reel
What it sometimes takes to get that perfect shot
All Sport Highlights 2017-18
17 sports - infinite highlights
Baseball: Day in the Life with Jay Schuyler
The real-life baseball experience
Inside look at WCC competition
Men's Tennis: Sweep
San Diego defeat Pepperdine 4-0
Softball: The Win
Toreros defeat Saint Mary's in weekend series
Men's Basketball: Tuber
Coach Scholl introduces "Tuber" - the on campus Torero Uber
Men's Basketball: Barista Scholl
Coach Scholl gets students ready for class by helping out at Aromas Cafe
Football: Pro Day
Toreros submit their resumes to the NFL scouts
Men's Basketball: Portland State Win
Toreros move on to next round in CIT
Football 2018: Spring Game
Toreros play spring football game for family and friends
Baseball: Toreros vs. Aztecs
USD take on cross-town rival SDSU
Men's Basketball: Post Season Run
USD vs. Hartford highlights
Women's Basketball: WCC Championship Game
Toreros end the 2018 season against Gonzaga in the WCC finals.
Women's Basketball: WCC Semifinals
Women's win send them to the championship game
Men's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinals
Toreros close out 2018 season against BYU
Men's Basketball: "Off Day"
Toreros prepare for the WCC quarterfinals against BYU
Women's Basketball: WCC Quarterfinal Highlights
USD defeats BYU in quarterfinal of WCC Tournament
Women's Basketball: Day in the Life with Myah Pace
Freshman guard knows how to prep for a win
Women's Basketball: Vegas Bound
Toreros travel to Vegas for the WCC Tournament
Baseball: Defeating No. 4 Arkansas
Toreros edge out top five team
Men's Basketball: Rock the House
Toreros played No. 6 Gonzaga in a fight to the last minute
Men's Basketball: Day in the Life
Guard Olin Carter III knows the games starts long before tip-off
Rowing, tennis, basketball and baseball, a winning day in the books
Baseball: For the Love of the Game
Baseball celebrates 60 years
Women's Basketball: Women in Sports Day
Julie Foudy spoke to student-athletes and guests for National Women in Sports Day
Men's Basketball: At LMU
Men's basketball on the road
Women's Rowing: Day in the Life
Senior Lizzie Bader shows how three-a-day practices are done
Men's Basketball: Youth Basketball Clinic
Toreros lead clinic in local community
Men's Rowing: Winter Camp 2018
There are plenty perks to being the early bird
60 Years of USD Baseball
Milestones on the road to Omaha
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics