Jan. 30, 2010
LOS ANGELES - The University of San Diego women's tennis team, after falling in the first round of the ITA Kick-Off to #9 University of Southern California, rebounded in dramatic fashion Saturday afternoon in consolation action against #28 Louisiana State University, downing LSU, 4-1, at the Marks Stadium on the campus of USC.
USD was able to secure the early edge by taking the doubles point, but not before the Tigers would have something to say about it. LSU would take the first match on Court #1, as Kari Frankenberg and Whitney Wolf quickly got out in front of San Diego pair, senior Alexandra Demidova and sophomore Juliette Coupez, winning 8-2. But the Toreros would quickly counter with a win at No. 2, where Torero tandem, sophomore Maja Sujica and freshman Laura Claus, downed Tigers Nicole Kantor and Kaitlin Burns, 8-3. And soon after, San Diego would wrap up the point at Court #3, as senior Justine Perl and sophomore Marite Raygada powered past LSU's Hannah Robinson and Ebie Wilson, 8-4.
The Tigers would go on to take the first match in singles action, but again San Diego would not wait long before evening the score, as Claus made quick work of Kantor on Court #2, downing her opponent in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. Freshman Lise Marbach would pad the Torero lead on Court #5, disposing of Robinson, 6-3, 6-4. Soon after, over on Court #1, Coupez would secure the upset as the freshman stand-out took down 120th ranked Wolf in a hard fought battle that would go three sets before deciding a winner.
Coupez would take the first set, 6-3, but Wolf would pull out a 6-2 victory in Set #2. But the Torero would not be denied and answered with a 7-5 deciding set triumph and consequently, a match win for USD.
The Toreros will continue their road trip, as they travel to Tucson, Arizona to face the likes of New Mexico State and University of Arizona. The short two day tournament spans two days (Feb. 5-6).
Match #3: #60 USD 4, #28 LSU 1
ITA Kick-Off - CONSOLATION
Saturday, Jan. 30, 2010 - Marks Stadium
1. Frankenberger/Wolf (LSU) def. Coupez/Demidova (USD) - 8-2
2. Claus/Sujica (USD) def. Burns/Kantor (LSU) - 8-3
3. Perl/Raygada (USD) def. Robinson/Wilson (LSU) - 8-4*
Order of finish 1, 2, 3*
USD wins doubles point.
1. Juliette Coupez (USD) def. #120 Whitney Wolf (LSU) - 6-3, 2-6, 7-5*
2. Laura Claus (USD) def. Nicole Kantor (LSU) - 6-2, 6-4
3. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) vs. Maja Sujica (USD) - 5-7, 1-5 susp.
4. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Alexandra Demidova (USD) - 6-1, 6-2
5. Lise Marbach (USD) def. Hannah Robinson (LSU) - 6-3, 6-4
6. Ebie Wilson (LSU) vs. Marite Raygada (USD) - 4-6, 4-5 susp.
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5, 1*
USD wins match, 4-1.