Sophomore Shani Blecher clinched the match to take the victory
Feb. 2, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The No. 61 University of San Diego women's tennis team (1-2) defeated UC Santa Barbara (1-3) 4-3 in their home opener Sunday morning at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center.
The Gauchos came out strong, grabbing the first doubles match of the day at the No. 3 spot defeating Idil Haciraifoglu and Janine Koleta 6-2. Although the Toreros began to battle back, UC Santa Barbara's Melissa Baker and Kaiulani Boyer edged out sophomores Marta Stojanovic and and Shani Blecher to clinch the doubles point.
Although, the Gauchos took the first singles point at the No. 5 spot, sophomore Marta Stojanovic got the Toreros on the board with an impressive win over UCSB's Stacy Yam 6-2, 6-4. Shortly after, freshman Colomba Di Filippo equalized the match with her first win of the dual season, defeating Gauchos' Melissa Baker 6-4, 6-3. After a thrilling third-set tiebreaker, the Gauchos' Luisa Ortiz Candido edged out senior Idil Haciraifoglu 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8) to take the lead.
Senior captain Anna Depenau equalized the match once again in an exciting, drama-filled win, knocking off UCSB's Paola Cos 6-3, 6-4. For the deciding match, No. 1 Shani Blecher finished strong beating the Gauchos' April Scatliffe 6-4, 6-3 in a thrilling home victory.
"It was our first home match, so I really wanted to get this win," sophomore Marta Stojanovic said after the win. "I could see it was tight on all the courts and each point was going to be really important, but we were able to fight hard and finish out the match. We do need to work on our doubles - to lift off some pressure in singles and continue to fight for every point to continue to be successful."
The Toreros return to action Friday, February 7th at 1:30 p.m. against Hawaii at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center.
#61 San Diego 4, UCSB 3
1. Melissa Baker/Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB) def. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) 6-3
2. April Scatliffe/Pricila Garcia (UCSB) def. Anna Depenau/Colomba Di Filippo (USD) 7-5
3. Stacy Yam/Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB) def. Idil Haciraifoglu/Janine Koleta (USD) 6-2
1. Shani Blecher (USD) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
2. Marta Stojanovic (USD) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB) 6-2, 6-4
3. Anna Depenau (USD) def. Paola Cos (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
4. Colomba Di Filippo (USD) def. Melissa Baker (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
5. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 6-0, 6-2
6. Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB) def. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (5, 2, 4, 6, 3, 1)