Juliette Coupez was the lone Torero to win in singles action
Feb. 14, 2010
SAN DIEGO - The University of San Diego women's tennis team dropped their contest to the University of Pepperdine on Sunday afternoon, losing to their WCC counterpart 6-1 at the USD West Tennis Courts.
The Toreros opened the contest on the right foot as the Laura Claus and Maja Sujica pair defeated their opponents Ali Walters and Andrea Oates of Pepperdine in a sound fashion, 8-2. Pepperdine rebounded by winning the other two doubles contests, however, to pick up the doubles point.
In the singles events, Juliette Coupez was the lone Torero to win, beating Arianna Colfer in straight sets (7-6, 6-4) to pick up the only team point for USD on the afternoon. Coupez's victory was the next-to-last event to finish, though, as Pepperdine had already decided the match's outcome four events earlier.
The Waves clinched the victory when Tania Rice defeated Marite Raygada 6-3, 6-2, picking up the fourth team point for Pepperdine. Anamika Bhargava and Andrea Oates defeated Lise Marbach and Maja Sujica, respectively, to pick up Pepperdine's first two team points in singles action.
The Toreros' record drops to 4-3 on the season, and they will return to action next weekend for two matches in Las Vegas, Nevada. First up for USD will be Texas A&M Corpus Christi on Friday, February 19th.
Match #7: #37 Pepperdine 6, #53 USD 1
Sunday, February 14, 2010
USD West Tennis Courts
1. Zalameda/Bhargava (PEP) def. Coupez/Demidova (USD) - 8-5
2. Claus/Sujica (USD) def. Walters/Oates (PEP) - 8-2
3. Colfer/Rice (PEP) def. Perl/Raygada (USD) - 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
Pepperdine wins doubles point.
1. Juliette Coupez (USD) def. Arianna Colfer (PEP) - 7-6, 6-4
2. Ali Walters (PEP) def. Laura Claus (USD) - 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) def. Lise Marbach (USD) - 6-1, 6-1
4. Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Maja Sujica (USD) - 6-3, 6-1
5. Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Alexandra Demidova (USD) - 7-5, 6-4
6. Tania Rice (PEP) def. Marite Raygada (USD) - 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 6, 5, 1, 2
Pepperdine wins match, 6-1.
Records: USD - 4-3, Pepperdine - 3-3