March 1, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team suffered a close loss Saturday afternoon at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center.
After several rain delays, the Toreros finally got on court and opened up with singles play. Although the Toreros made a comeback in the end, South Florida took the match 4-2.
Due to an injury, the Bulls got on the board first with a win at the No. 1 spot. South Florida extended their lead when Bulls' Vera Bessonova defeated Janine Koleta 6-0, 6-2. USF's Olga Martinez followed defeating Idil Haciraifoglu 6-2, 6-3. The Toreros began to pick up momentum after Colomba DiFilippo cruised past Bulls' Fanny Favassi 6-3, 6-1. Senior captain Anna Depenau also had a solid performance defeating South Florida's Olaya Garrido-Rivas 6-3, 6-2.
The Bulls were able to stop the Torero's push after South Florida's Kayla Rizzolo pulled out a win over Marta Stojanovic 3-6, 6-3, 6-2.
The Toreros return to action when they host Pacific March 7th, at 1:30 p.m. PT.
#65 South Florida 4, San Diego 2
1. Loreto Alonso-Martinez (USF) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 6-4, 1-0 ret.
2. Kayla Rizzolo (USF) def. Marta Stojanovic (USD) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Anna Depenau
(USD) def. Olaya Garrido-Rivas (USF) 6-3, 6-2
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Fanny Favassi (USF) 6-3, 6-1
5. Vera Bessonova (USF) def. Janine Koleta (USD) 6-0, 6-2
6. Olga Martinez (USF) def. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: Singles (1, 5, 6, 4, 3, 2)