March 16, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The University of San Diego women’s tennis team (5-8) fell to No. 34 St. Mary’s College (6-5) 4-0 Sunday morning at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center, snapping the Toreros’ three-match winning streak.
The Gaels proved to be a tough contender in doubles play, taking the first match of the day at the No. 3 spot. Coming back from a 6-2 deficit, senior captain Anna Depenau and freshman Colomba DiFilippo pulled out the win over Gaels’ Danielle Flores and Jamie Pawid 8-6 to equalize the score. The pair has currently won four matches in a row. However, St. Mary’s would take the final match, getting the victory over sophomores Shani Blecher and Marta Stojanovic 8-5.
The No. 34 Gaels came out the gate strong in singles, making it difficult for the Toreros to gain momentum. St. Mary’s extended their lead after No. 11 Jenny Jullien defeated Blecher 6-3, 6-3. The No. 6 and 2 spots soon followed knocking off sophomore Mikayla Morkel-Brink 6-3, 6-3 and Stojanovic 6-3, 6-1.
The Toreros have a week off before they return to action up north against No. 59 Santa Clara, March 24th at 1:30 p.m. PT.
San Diego 0, St. Mary’s 4
1. Jenny Jullien/Parminder Kaur (SMC) def. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) 8-5
2. Anna Depenau/Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Danielle Flores/Jamie Pawid (SMC) 8-6
3. Catherine Leduc/Jade Frampton (SMC) def. Idil Haciraifoglu/Janine Koleta (USD) 8-1
1. #11 Jenny Jullien (SMC) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 6-3, 6-3
2. Danielle Flores (SMC) def. Marta Stojanovic (USD) 6-3, 6-1
3. Anna Depenau (USD) vs. #77 Jamie Pawid (SMC) DNF
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) vs. Catherine Leduc (SMC) DNF
5. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) vs. Jade Frampton (SMC) DNF
6. Parminder Kaur (SMC) def. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (1, 6, 2)