March 17, 2010
SAN DIEGO - No luck was needed on St. Patrick's Day Wednesday, as the University of San Diego women's tennis team closed out its four match homestand with a convincing 4-3 upset of 70th ranked Washington State University. Sophomore Juliette Coupez, in the deciding final match, grabbed the result for the Toreros with a three set victory over her Cougar counterpart in 75th ranked Liudmila Vasilieva.
San Diego now holds an 8-6 overall record, as the Toreros are currently riding a four match win streak, after having overcome an opposing four match skid. With the loss, the Cougars fall to 8-5.
USD wasted no time in getting ahead of their Pac-10 competitor, sweeping the doubles point with relative ease.
San Diego continued to sail along through the first match of the individual competition, as Marite Raygada won her second match of the day after quickly disposing of WSU's Jessica Gomez (6-2, 6-1) at Court #6.
The Cougars, however, showed poise after falling behind 2-0. Washington would take the next three contests at Court #4, Court #2, and finally, Court #3. But the women netters' senior experience came through in the clutch, as Alexandra Demidova, after dropping the initial set, 5-7, came back to defeat the Cougars' Marina Nicolas, 6-2, 6-0, at Court #5.
The contest's decision came down to the final match between Coupez and nationally-ranked Vasilieva at Court #1. Following a first set hiccup, in which the Torero sophomore fell 2-6, Coupez, on the back of her fierce competitiveness, rebounded with a 7-6 (4) showing in set #2, that would ultimately swing the momentum back towards USD. Vasilieva folded in the final set to Coupez, falling by a final of 6-3.
The Toreros will have two more matches this week, when they travel to the Boise State University for a pair, beginning with Denver (Mar. 20th) followed by No. 48 Boise State (Mar. 21st) at the BOAS Tennis Center.
USD 4, #70 WSU 3
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
USD West Tennis Courts
1. Coupez/Sujica (USD) def. Jansen/Nicolas (WSU) - 8-1
2. Demidova/Raygada (USD) def. Googe/Vasilieva (WSU) - 8-2
3. Claus/Perl (USD) def. Kankaras/Fournier (WSU) - 8-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
USD wins doubles point.
1. Juliette Coupez (USD) def. #75 Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) - 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-3
2. Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) def. Laura Claus (USD) - 6-3, 6-4
3. Ksenia Googe (WSU) def. Maja Sujica (USD) - 6-3, 6-0
4. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) def. Lise Marbach (USD) - 6-3, 6-0
5. Alexandra Demidova (USD) def. Marina Nicolas (WSU) - 5-7, 6-2, 6-0
6. Marite Raygada (USD) def. Jessica Gomez (WSU) - 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 1
USD wins match, 4-3.