March 20, 2010
BOISE, Idaho - The University of San Diego women's tennis team suffered a disappointing loss against University of Denver Saturday afternoon, dropping a 4-3 decision at the host site Boise State University's Appleton Tennis Center.
San Diego, after winning four straight, drops to an overall mark of 8-7, while Denver ends its six match losing streak and moves to a record of 4-12.
After the Toreros neglected to grab the initial edge in the doubles competition, dropping two of three, San Diego would get right back in it with a win at Court #6, as Marite Raygada pounced on Mikele Smith, 6-1, 6-1.
Denver countered at Court #4 when Lorinda Boothman defeated Lise Marbach, 6-3, 6-1. But the see-saw battle continued at Court #2 with the Toreros' Maja Sujica downed Sophia Bergner, 6-1, 6-3.
Again, the Pioneers would answer, taking a straight set decision at Court #2, and a 3-2 lead in the contest. Senior Alexandra Demidova tied it up at Court #5 with her sixth straight match win coming against Emma Isberg by a final of 7-5, 6-0.
Unfortunately, that would represent the final point for the Toreros as the match's finale would come down to Court #1, in which Juliette Coupez, unlike in her deciding triumphant match against the Washington State Cougars last Wednesday, could not duplicate the previous result, surrendering a 7-6 (5), 6-3 to Ute Schnoy, giving the Pioneers the 4-3 edge.
The Toreros will close out its two match road swing tomorrow against #48 Boise State. The match is scheduled to kick off at 10 a.m. PT.
Denver 4, USD 3
Saturday, March 20, 2010
Appleton Tennis Center - Boise, Idaho
1. Bergner/Schnoy (DEN) def. Coupez/Sujica (USD) - 9-7
2. Bauregger/Isberg (DEN) def. Demidova/Raygada (USD) - 9-8 (10-8)
3. Claus/Perl (USD) def. Boothman/Smith (DEN) - 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Denver wins doubles point.
1. Ute Schnoy (DEN) def. Juliette Coupez (USD) - 7-6 (5), 6-3
2. Julia Bauregger (DEN) def. Laura Claus (USD) - 6-2, 6-4
3. Maja Sujica (USD) def. Sophia Bergner (DEN) - 6-1, 6-3
4. Lorinda Boothman (DEN) def. Lise Marbach (USD) - 6-3, 6-1
5. Alexandra Demidova (USD) def. Emma Isberg (DEN) - 7-5, 6-0
6. Marite Raygada (USD) def. Mikele Smith (DEN) - 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 3, 2, 5, 1
Denver wins match, 4-3.