March 27, 2010
SAN DIEGO - Sophomore Marite Raygada garnered her eighth straight win, as the 75th-ranked University of San Diego women's tennis team sailed past the University of Nevada Reno Saturday at the home site of the USD West Tennis Courts, winning by a final of 5-2.
The match marked the closing of the 2010 dual match regular season home slate as well as the first contest win following Coach Sherri Stephens' historic 300th career victory last Wednesday against 41st-ranked Marshall University.
San Diego eclipsed the double digit win mark, now standing at an overall record of 10-8, while the Nevada Wolfpack falls to 6-5.
The Toreros got out ahead early by sweeping the doubles point with relative ease.
Moving in to singles action, Raygada completed her match first at Court #6, downing the Pack's Sophie Stevens, 6-4, 6-3. With the win, the Peruvian native reaches 'Lucky No. 13', owning 13 victories at the final slot.
USD would be forced to keep on their toes, however, after dropping the next two matches at Court #4 and then at #1. Senior Alexandra Demidova captured the next Torero triumph at Court #5, as she closed out Aline Laurioux, 6-2, 6-4.
With two matches remaining, San Diego would need only one win at either Court #2 or Court #3 for the final decision. Maja Sujica at Court #3 would deliver when she corralled Nevada's Florence De Vrye, 7-5, 6-0. Wrapping the match up at Court #2, Laura Claus was able to cap the afternoon with a fourth and final singles victory for the Toreros with a three set defeat of Emma Verberne.
The women netters will take almost two weeks respite before embarking upon their final road swing of 2010. The Toreros will travel to UC Irvine on Friday, April 9th and the following day, square off against St. Mary's at the host site of the Anteater Tennis Complex.
#75 USD 5, Nevada 2
Saturday, March 27, 2010
USD Tennis Courts
1. Coupez/Sujica (USD) def. Mizyuk/Stevens (NV) - 8-5
2. Demidova/Raygada (USD) def. De Vrye/Lombard (NV) - 8-3
3. Claus/Perl (USD) def. Ogata/Verberne (NV) - 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
USD wins doubles point.
1. Maria Mizyuk (NV) def. Juliette Coupez (USD) - 7-5, 6-2
2. Laura Claus (USD) def. Emma Verberne (NV) - 6-7, 6-4, 6-0
3. Maja Sujica (USD) def. Florence De Vrye (NV) - 7-5, 6-0
4. Lais Ogata (NV) def. Lise Marbach (USD) - 6-4, 6-1
5. Alexandra Demidova (USD) def. Aline Laurioux (NV) - 6-2, 6-4
6. Marite Raygada (USD) def. Sophie Stevens (NV) - 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 1, 5, 3, 2
USD wins match, 5-2.
Records: #75 USD 10-8, Nevada 6-5